Notices

Menopause

Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Menopause

Anyone dealing with menopause, specifically hot flashes? I try to limit my caffeine intake but struggle with that. Sleep quality is not that great and I am exhausted by the end of the work day.

Am following Paleo plus dairy diet and do Cross Fit workouts 4 X week early in the a.m. I feel really great when I stick to Paleo but when the PMS type cravings hit I struggle with sugar and bread.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

Ah, a kindred spirit. I am just getting started with the joys of menopause
As far as the sleep issue is concerned I finally went to my Dr. I was waking in the middle of the night in a full on panic attack and that was if I was able to fall asleep in the first place! I now take one Ambien and one xanax, both very low dose, And I sleep for 6 or 7 hours and wake up feeling like I actually did sleep. It has been a God send! You won't believe how much better you'll be able to function and lose weight if you're sleeping well.

What is the Paleo plus dairy diet? never heard of it. Good luck
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Hi and thanks for the response. I see my MD in October for my annual and will probably ask for something like you suggest at that appointment if things don't improve alot. I've been trying to deal with the night sweats and hot flashes with supplements and even had some success with black cohosh but it has stopped giving me as much relief. The past coupld of years my MD has told me to cut back on the caffeine as I appear to be sensitive to it I guess. I only have two cups in the a.m. before work and try to limit it the rest of the day. I just can't seem to give it up completely. Decaf is a choice I could make I guess.

Anywho, thanks again for the ideas. One thing I have found at Bath and Body works is a cooling spray. Avon also has a gel moisturizer that cools the skin. Those things work ok for a bit at cooling me off.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 AM
FitDay Member

Can I suggest checking out this website -you can also get on the email list. Lots of support and ideas.

Menopause, Menopause Symptoms, Perimenopause, Menopause Support Forum

Been there - over it. Good luck. Nothing is ever the same again.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:43 PM
FitDay Member

I went through it , BAD, for 16 years. One thing that really helped is to sleep in cotton night gowns.

Another thing is I only used a chenille throw as a cover at night. Not even sheet just the throw. Not sure why this made a difference but it did.

I also used a light dose of Melatonin from health food store. Go the 3 MG a couple of nights then down to half then a 1/4 of that.

The waking in the night with panic attacks is the worst. I was afraid to even try to go back to sleep. Screaming. My poor husband was so kind to me. This had to be hell on him too.

I still have sleep difficulties but would never go with any sleep aid other than the melatonin. Kava Kava will help too. Now when I can not sleep I get up and read and eventually fall asleep. I also like to listen to that spa music playing softly. The good news is when it was over it was over. Like some one flipped a switch.

I did take the horror-mones and got breast cancer so I do not recommend them to any one. I am fine now from that.

And we all thought the periods were the curse.

Maggie
Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

Well, evryone is different. Believe me, I tried all the herbal stuff and nothing worked. My doctor said I could either sell my businesses or just get some sleep. The ambien and xanax works for me so that's what I'll do.

I haven't had chocolate or anything remotely like it for several months so thats not an issue.
I'm gonna do everything I can not to do the hormone therapy. I've heard nothing good.

16 YEARS of menopause???? Please God ......no....
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Totally agree every one is different. I think the lack of sleep added to my weight gain and at one point I was so deprived I HAD to go to the horror-mones. I was a zombie. Days and nights with no sleep for months at a time. I was almost nocturnal.

We each have to choose our own poison. For me to take xanax it would kick me so far back I would not be able to function. So this is why I said what worked for me.Hugs to you hetemte I sure hope it does not last as long for you. The good news is when it stopped for me it was over.. Maybe the horror-mones made it last longer. I am not sure all the different foods really make that much of a difference. I stopped coffee for months and had them just as bad. Started back with it as it is a vice of mine and it did not make any change I could notice other than my enjoyment in life.

Dang it it is just something we have to get through and at a point I was beginning to wonder if it would ever stop for me. And then it did. Woo Hoo.

Maggie
Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas and tales of menopause. I'm going 5-6 months without a period and then 3 months of every 28-32 days. I have tried melatonin in the past and it seemed to work for a while. The black cohosh is definitely NOT working right now so I think I will stop that and give the melatonin a try again.

Cannot imagine doing this for 16 years. Yikes.

I agree that this seems like more of a curse than what we call a curse!!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:19 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry Ladies. I don't mean to be so crabby! But guess what I got yesterday!!!??? I bleed worse now than I did 20 years ago!
And my husband/business partner just called to yell at me about business related. I love him but... somedays....

Ah well, tomorrow will be better!!