Notices

Hello any one else over 40 here?

Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

My two cents? Wait until you are closer to your goal to make that determination. For now, focus on the process, enjoy being healthier, and put all your efforts into making that stick. You have no idea what 140, 125, or anything else is actually going to look like on you (and neither does your hubby), so I think it's next to impossible to make that call now.

My personal opinion is that your goal should be about you...but part of that "you" might be wanting to take his thoughts into consideration. He may change his mind, you may change your mind, you never know. He may also have some insecurities about you becoming more attractive to other men; many significant others do when their partners lose weight, even if it's subconscious. I wouldn't spend any energy worrying about it now, just enjoy the ride and be proud of the small changes you see week by week instead of the final number .

Last edited by cjohnson728; 08-06-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
FitDay Member

I totally agree with cjohnson. Just enjoy getting healthier. When you get to the right place with your weight and your health, you'll know!!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:07 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie & Hetemte for the comments. I agree... neither of us know what the 'best' weight will be for our bodies, and we do want to focus on the now -- looking towards our mini goals.

My hubby is a wonderful guy, but I found it a little frustrating that he was already suggesting limits when we've only just begun.

As for mens' insecurities when their partners get healthier and fit, I'm sure that is probably an underlying thought, but my husband is really confident in my love for him as he should be.

He has always loved me for who I am, has always told me I was beautiful, talented, funny, etc. and there is nothing more satisfying than having such unconditional love.

Appreciate the feedback!

Have a happy Saturday ladies!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:28 AM
FitDay Member

Smoosh, your husband sounds like a really great guy. It's so great that you have his support in this endeavor.

I agree with Cassie and Hetemte, wait until you get closer and see what size clothing you wear as you drop the pounds. The reason why I say this is I am also 5'3" and my goal weight is 145. While I haven't been 145 since high school I did get down to 157 a few years ago and at that weight, I was between a size 8 and 10. A good friend of mine who happens to be the same height as me, wears a size 14 at 160 so the difference is amazing! There are 2 dress sizes difference between us at the same height and weight. You just never know, but getting there will be quite the ride so enjoy the process!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:36 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you all can take your time and discuss it. Change is stressful, even when it's a positive change, so just make sure to keep talking and communicating about what you want and need and everything else will fall into place. It's great that you are both on board this journey together and individually.

I had the experience of getting to my goal weight and it wasn't really what I expected. I had expected the bells to go off and to have all my trouble spots magically reformed...well, of course that didn't happen! I added a few calories back in, not quite to maintenance level, but to be losing at a much slower rate (a pound or two a month). But at that point it became more about fitness than the number on the scale. I didn't have a new goal weight but instead focused on a new body fat percentage goal, or fitness goals (how far to run, weights, etc). I wouldn't have foreseen that when I started to lose, so it's just an example of how things could change as you go along. Your goal is to feel great and to be healthy, and you will know that weight when you get to it. You are doing great; keep up the good work!!
Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 AM
FitDay Member

Hey all,
So, I just sat here and stared at the keyboard for 10 minutes with all kinds of "helpful advise and profound thoughts". However, they all sound trivial today.

First, I apologize. Second, I'M IN A REALLY ****** BAD MOOD TODAY!!! I don't know why, no ones done anything in particular. The scale has been moving in the correct direction and my husband is finally coming home for a whole 3 days. Yes, I know, that's part it. It's both of our fault because this is the course we have set for the time being and till the economy improves and we can sell some properties this is where we are. I'm just whining!

My hat and heart go out to all you military wives who have to deal with this for far longer periods than I do.

Smoosh, my husband is a great guy too, but he is also a micro-manager. When I set my weight goal he thought it was too high. He wanted the tiny 100 pounder he met. Thought it should be "no problem". I then reminded him that all those decades ago I was a heavy smoker, drinker, etc... and if he really wanted that person back then we had a real problem.

He fortunately realized that for a 50 year old I still look better than some 30 year olds and he himself is no longer the Adonis he thought he was.

Thanks for letting me vent ladies. I am now going to go outside and scoop up dog s**t.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
So my fellow 40+-somethings, I have a question. My hubby is on board with my healthier living goals and has been eating better with me & trying to exercise more. It's really wonderful to have his support and I feel confident we'll both achieve our goals as a result.

However, he disagrees with me about my longterm objectives. I'm 5' 3'' and hope to reach 140 lbs. by the end of 2011. He thinks that's too skinny and tells me I shouldn't focus on a goal weight, but rather looking & feeling good.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind eventually getting to 125 lbs., but I didn't want to set that as my goal because I knew he'd not be happy about it.

So... is there a compromise to be made? Or should the goal be about what I want exclusively?

He just likes a girl with meat on her bones. I'd love some thoughts and opinions. Have you faced anything like this with your significant other or family members?
You know I'm a shorty too, and I set my goal weight based on my height, skeletal structure and recommendations from my doctors (regular and knee). Anyway now I'm in the mid 150's and my MOTHER is starting to gripe about how I've lost too much weight. Excuse me??? I have very large areas still full of cellulite and prone to jiggling. I'm 20+ pounds overweight, no matter which index you look at and 35 pounds over my doctor's recommendations. Actually both of my docs told me that my ideal weight is 115, but I added in another 5 for the um, girls up front here.

So the last time she started up I just gave her one of those looks and said "it's not about being skinny mom, it's about being healthy, off my back already". So I think my plan is a lot like cjohnson's, my weight loss has slowed down quite a bit and now I'm focusing on getting in really awesome shape, and getting my percent body fat down. I carry a lot of muscle and I can build it up rapidly too, so I think once I reach goal I won't look the least bit skinny. DH has been great. He brings me low cal treats, found a new protein powder that is cheaper than the one I was buying (and comes in a larger container too) and so now he drinks it as well, and he never complains about being "dad on duty" while I hit the gym.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

hey ladies, sorry about earlier rant. I have got to get this mood swing thing under control. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by [email protected]
hey ladies, sorry about earlier rant. I have got to get this mood swing thing under control. Hope I didn't offend anyone.
*Hugs* hetemte! That previous post was a rant? No problemo gf... we all have those days. My hubby knows to steer clear of me when I have them too because I can be a truly stubborn, cranky bull (Taurus).
Old 08-08-2010, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Ladies, It sounded worse in my head plus I used the delete key alot!!LOL. Anyway he's home safe and sound and the dog is happy he's home too. Kinda boring with just me.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to do my weigh in. And then it's off to 5 days of not counting anything cause I'm going to a friends daughters wedding in Ft. Wayne , In. I hear it's lovely this time of year. Just hope it's cooler than the valley!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.