Notices

Anyone out there Post Menopausal and Can't Lose Weight?

Old 11-26-2016, 01:09 PM
FitDay Member

Default Anyone out there Post Menopausal and Can't Lose Weight?

Hi. I've been eating extremely clean. No sugar, no high glycemic and no refined carbs for 9 days. The result: ZERO pounds and ZERO inches lost. Pants are still tight as ever. I'm miserable and don't sleep well. Anyone else? I'm determined not to grow into stretch pants. Ladies? Am I alone?
Old 11-27-2016, 01:47 AM
Super Moderator

Smile

Are you counting calories as well as carbs? Drinking plenty of water? Give it time - one this is that metabolism does tend to slow down with age. It just takes longer to lose the same weight we lost so easily when we were younger.
Old 11-27-2016, 02:41 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Kathy. The answer is YES to all of the above. I am staying between 1000-1200 calories and keeping my carbs below 100 per day. I tried increasing calories by 100 then 200 because my nutritionist suggested I was eating too few and I GAINED weight. I'm so disappointed that NOTHING is happening. This morning I got up, did my morning walk on the treadmill (it's raining here), ate my egg whites and kale and just cried. I might have to accept that I will be in weightloss purgatory for the rest of my life. Going in on Monday for a hormone check. My doctor wants to put me on estradiol and progesterone to see if that will help but I'm scared. I haven't read ONE SINGLE testimonial out there on the internet that this helps post menopausal women lose their belly or any fat. In fact, I read horror stories that women GAIN from it. I don't know WHAT do to anymore.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 AM
Super Moderator

It's good that your doctor knows about this. If you aren't going to go with his suggestions, maybe he could refer you to an endocrinologist? In the meantime, if you try his suggestions, they could help - without weight gain.

For every person who reports something about a medication, you can find at least one person who didn't have that experience. You could always tell your doctor that if it turns out that this hinders rather than helps your weight loss, you want him to give you something different. He's the one with the medical degree, not the Internet!

Do you have a lot of weight to lose or it is just a few pounds? Have you tried a group effort like Weight Watchers or Take Off Pounds Sensibly? I don't know what country you are in. There are so many shared experiences there - and many postmenopausal women!
Old 11-28-2016, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Kathy. Thank you very much for your thoughtful response. I live in the US. I must add that I take Armour for hypothyroid and it could be that my levels are down, however, I don't feel that way. Since cutting out sugar and refined carbs, I have become extremely alert and active with energy to spare. No more afternoon naps. This morning I woke up an extra pound heavier and nothing's changed. I watch my salt very carefully too. I have noticed that since I've increased my vegetable, fiber and water intake, I've become very bloated and constipated which should be the opposite. Seems the more water I drink, the more bloated I become. My belly looks like it's 6 months pregnant. Looking back, I think it might be the progesterone cream I used for 2 months and stopped it about 9 days ago. I shouldn't have used it without consulting my doctor. I think it threw my hormones into a terrible imbalance. I mean, why else would I be gaining so much weight and feeling bloated, following a strict eating plan and exercising as advised? Well, today, I will see my doctor and see what he says. I am only about 10-15lbs over my normal weight.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, sorry you are in this predicament. Sometimes the weight just doesn't want to come off. One thing though, that everyone is very different. It takes a few weeks to dial it in and discover which foods make you feel good, and which one do not.

For example, it is a very good sign that you have tons of energy, this means things are starting to look up for you.

There are a couple of things you can try.

If you feel continuously sick, try a couple of weeks with the least inflammatory foods possible, like boiled plain white rice (not brown) and boiled white fish.

Alternatively you can attempt a high-fat/high protein approach while you are transitioning, to see if that helps with your healing.

Thing is, a lot of people actually react badly to increased fibre intake and volumetrically large quantities of raw greens, and do extremely well on pure fat and proteins, with some neutral vegetables, like spinach and cucumbers.

Egg whites, while very high in protein can cause digestion issues and they are one of the stronger inflammatory foods, so I would go for meat rather than eggs to start with.

Also, really, there is never a need to overdo it with water. The 8 glasses a day is one of those 'just a number they've picked because they had to pick something' things. Drink when you are thirsty and not making a beeline for the restroom every hour on the hour. You'll be fine. You will not dehydrate.

Anyway, to stop rambling, I'd suggest starting with minimizing your selection of foods to see what are the easiest ones for you, personally, to digest and do not eat anything that leaves you bloated afterwards, no matter what other people/books/nutritionists claim. Do not be afraid to experiment. After all, the only thing the nutritional experts agree on is that one maybe should eat (some) vegetables. Everything else has a book touting its benefits by some more or less eloquent expert. And might work for someone.

The trick is to find what works for you. To take charge. To get to know your body and establish a clear line of communication with it. Farting and acne are the first signs of eating stuff that is wrong for your gut.

I know it takes a long time to find the best things to eat, and it also changes as well, as you go through your lifecycle, but the alternatives are no less frustrating.

Last edited by Ruvvoy; 11-29-2016 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:58 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you, Ruvvoy. Something is finally working. Suddenly, I am down 2 1/2 lbs so for now, the work seems to be paying off...finally!
Old 12-02-2016, 11:20 AM
FitDay Member

Progress update. I haven't weighed in lately but suddenly, jeans that my stomach was spilling over are comfortable. Not loosely comfortable but they fit right! I just needed to hang in there a little longer. I even had a "cheat day" at our favorite burger place on Tuesday and still, I'm losing fat. I went right back to my regular regimen. I'm now used to eating this way so I know I'll be successful with the rest of the weight.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Patience was rewarded! Good for you!
Old 12-12-2016, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by stit60
Thank you, Ruvvoy. Something is finally working. Suddenly, I am down 2 1/2 lbs so for now, the work seems to be paying off...finally!
I am glad to hear that and fingers crossed you will be able to follow your body and let it guide you through the healing and repairs it is making.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.