Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies >

No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies

Community
Notices

No more jiggling July .. 100 plus ladies

Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
Yeah alright!

Had a great work out last night. A class called 'Salsacise'. At one point I thought my heart was going to stop, but there was no way I was going to give-up. Feeling a little tender this morning, but it's nearly weigh day so I'll deal!
Originally Posted by almeeker
Hey ladies, Wed night we drove out to the in-laws for a family gathering. I know, middle of the week, but they had out-of-town guests so we had to put in an appearance. So yesterday was one of those days where there is food out the whole day and none of it is health food right. These sort of gatherings KILL me, because I'm a grazer and was raised to "clean my plate". I also couldn't get to a computer to log my intake, so I had to try and keep track of it in my head, and I didn't exercise one bit. All we did was hang out and eat/drink/make merry. But I have to say I logged it all in this morning and managed to keep my intake to around 2,400, which is possibly a record low for me at an all day eat-fest. It's about 1,000 calories higher than my budget, but not so bad that I can't recover from it. In fact I was down a little this morning.

On the pasta topic, we have it for dinner about once every other week. We use Barrilla Pasta Plus, or some such. It's whole grain and also contains protein and I think it has about 100-150 calories per cup (prepared), depending on the shape. For those trying to cut grain based carbs, you might want to try using spaghetti squash. It still has carbs, but they aren't grain based, and it's much lighter than actual pasta. My kids love the stuff, however, DH despises all squash, so on pasta night I still have to boil him some pasta.

Salsacise sounds like zumba! :P I want to try it when my back heals.

Great job managing your eating, almeeker! It's too easy to graze little bits here and there and not realize how much they add up, so its good that you managed not to go completely out of control

I love spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and a little cheese. I actually prefer it to pasta.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats!!! to all the successes this week!

I am always in awe when you post almeeker, you have some of the soundest and well thought out wisdom.

My dietician gave me the info I posted for my body and so I posted it for just a reference point to others. As I have said all along, everyone is different and has different body types and needs, so just because mine limit of carbs is 145 - 165 ... it is because I am diabetic ( type 2) but your needs could be totally different. I think of it this way: if there was a one size fit all diet, a whole lot of people like atkins, jenny craig, nutrasystem etc would be out of a job.

So what I do is read the forums and rejoice in each of your successes, take the bits of wisdom that work for me and to the rest say 'I am glad this works for you!'.... and I suspect most of you do the same things And thats how it should be.

Have a good day everyone
Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
OK in a nut shell, the dietitian had this to say....

She said given the 5 day workout, weight etc.. she usually starts people out between 1800 - 2000 calories, about 140 - 160 grams of carbs a day.
Then when you reach the point where you have stopped losing consistantly, you drop it down by 100 calories until it starts again. Then repeat that at each plateu, however you shouldnt drop below 1500.

I had showed her some of my food logs and I was staying between 700 - 1200 and she said I am amazed you have lost any. She said ( she agrees with ya'll) that if your body isnt getting enough, it may not go into starvation mode, but you wont lose much if any. But since I have been so low in calories, she didnt want to discourage me if I should temporarily gain weight by starting me at 1800.. so she is playing it safe and told me try to stick with 1500. She said if I have the occasional 1200, thats fine but no lower.

She also said, another way of knowing you arent getting enough water and nutrients is muscle cramps, stomach probs and tired.

Although I personally dont like this method, she suggested using the 'exchange' system. For instance:

Breakfast

1 starch, 1 milk , 1 fat and as many free foods as you want.

Lunch

3 starch, 1 fruit, 1 veggie, 2 meat, 2 fat, and free foods

Dinner

2 startch, 1 fruit, 1 milk, 1 veggie, 3 meat, 2 fat, free foods

Snack

1 starch, 1 veggie, 1 fat

Obviously, the 3 starch is servings. Meat is 1 oz = 1 serving. So 3 meats is 3 ounces.

So like I said I dont like doing the exchange system because it makes it more like a diet instead of a lifestyle change to me. But until I get the idea implanted, I will use it. She said it should let me lose 2 - 3 lbs a week, depending on my exercise.

Oh and one last piece of advice she gave... do NOT drink juices ( tomato juice is ok because it is not sugar laden) but for instance, it takes 4 - 5 juice oranges to make 4 oz juice and so you get the sugar of 5 oranges and no fiber, but if you eat one orange instead, you get the nutrients, the pulp (fiber) and it fills you up more than 4 oz of liquid.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for sharing. I want to go to one as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
Salsacise sounds like zumba! :P I want to try it when my back heals.

Great job managing your eating, almeeker! It's too easy to graze little bits here and there and not realize how much they add up, so its good that you managed not to go completely out of control

I love spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and a little cheese. I actually prefer it to pasta.
How do you cook spag squash to be like pasta? We tried the other night and it was a disaster lol
Old 07-23-2010, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
How do you cook spag squash to be like pasta? We tried the other night and it was a disaster lol
Not sure what others do, but I get a huge spaghetti pot (the tall kind), fill it with water, put the whole squash in, and boil it. When a fork can be poked into it easily, I take it out. It is VERY hot at this point, so very carefully, I cut it in half lengthwise. I dig the seeds out with a spoon and discard them. Then I take a fork, and "shred" the "spaghetti" strings out (basically scraping). I hope that makes sense. IDK if that is really the way people do it or not, but that has always worked for me. Then it resembles noodles...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default Crock Pot Recipes?

I live alone, but I love love love my crock pot. In the past, I have cooked things in there for myself and enjoyed leftovers the next day or two. I would like to continue using my crock pot, but need some healthier recipes for it!
I know I could go online and find some, but I am looking for some tried and loved recipes
Old 07-23-2010, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

I dont use mine all that much but I do use it for skinless chicken breasts. And that can be used however you use chicken.. including chinese things like chicken and peapods, sliced as sandwiches etc.

I have never tried this, (but my friend has) but you can make soups in it. She makes a cabbage, veggie soup ( tomato based). So I am sure you are right, theres a lot out there, but i dont really have anything specific.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 07-23-2010, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

I dont use mine all that much but I do use it for skinless chicken breasts. And that can be used however you use chicken.. including chinese things like chicken and peapods, sliced as sandwiches etc.

I have never tried this, (but my friend has) but you can make soups in it. She makes a cabbage, veggie soup ( tomato based). So I am sure you are right, theres a lot out there, but i dont really have anything specific.
I'm not a big soup person. Would love to try some different ways of cooking chicken, hmmm.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 AM
FitDay Member

I'd be willing to bet there have been times in the past that I consumed 10,000-15,000 calories at a "graze-all-day" event. Most of my estimates were fairly good, but a few were completely off base. Why does cherry pie have to be so stinking fattening?

I am always in awe when you post almeeker, you have some of the soundest and well thought out wisdom.
That's so sweet of you to say! Thanks so much for that. Do you suppose that you could explain to my children that mommy isn't a complete ninnyhammer? Boy they only listen to me when I've given up being nice about it, and have resorted to screaming my head off.

Originally Posted by christineval
I've been preparing spaghetti squash for years. I've always sliced it in half, blossom end to belly button, scraped the seeds out, placed it cut side down in a glass baking dish with 1" of water in the bottom and baked it at 350 deg for about an hour (or until you can easily slide a sharp knife into it). Then I wait for it to cool down and scrape the stringy flesh out. I usually bake 2-3 at a time, and freeze the extra for a fast dish another day. I've never tried to boil it, but I suspect that would work just as well. And recently I watched a video on utube showing a woman who cooked hers in the microwave. She pierced the skin several times with a knife, and then popped it in the microwave for like 15-20 minutes. This time of year when it's so hot, I usually set it to bake during the middle of the night, and finish scraping it out and pack it away first thing in the morning.

I live alone, but I love love love my crock pot. In the past, I have cooked things in there for myself and enjoyed leftovers the next day or two. I would like to continue using my crock pot, but need some healthier recipes for it!
I know I could go online and find some, but I am looking for some tried and loved recipes
I love my crock pot too! I'm cracking up that your crock pot recipes aren't healthy. I started using mine for the sole purpose of making healthier (and cheaper) food, so I actually don't have any unhealthy crock pot recipes. One of my favorite recipes is for chicken tacos. It's so easy, you take 2-3 frozen chicken breasts, drop them in the crock pot, add in 1-2 cups of salsa (per breast). Turn on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot and thinly slice or shred with forks, return to pot, stir and serve. This stuff is fantastic in chicken tacos, nachos, taco salad and sonora omelets. I usually make a whole crock pot full, because it's actually better left over than it is fresh.

Another yummy crock pot dinner is Papa al Pomodora. Basically you take whatever sauce you like on pasta. I use home canned tomatoes, which already have onions, pepper, garlic, rosemary and oregano added to them. But seriously any canned tomatoes or pasta sauce will work just fine. I generally use 2 quarts of tomatoes, add in any kind of topping you would put on pizza (except cheese), turkey pepperoni, browned sausage, bacon, olives, ham, mushrooms, peppers etc. Simmer on low 6-8 hours, or on high 4 hours. If your sauce is runny add in a small can of tomato paste to thicken. Before serving line bowl with dried bread cubes or bread crust, sprinkle bread with a little bit of mozzarella cheese then top with soup.

Soup in the crock pot is sooooo easy. One of my fave soups is "Smothered Steak". When we cook steak, I try and make an extra piece, all the better if the steak is cooked on the grill. Take the leftover steak and slice it into bite sized pieces and drop into crock pot. On the stove top, add 1-2 Tablespoons of EVOO to a saute pan, add in 1 onion (cut in half and sliced) and 8-12 ounces fresh mushrooms (sliced) and maybe 2-3 teaspoons fresh cracked pepper. Once the onions start to turn clear add it all to the crock pot, deglazed the pan twice with water and add that to the crock pot. Then add 3-4 cups water to the crock pot to bring the level up to where you want it. Add in 2-3 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce, to taste. I usually add in 4-5 beef bullion cubes (but you could use a package of brown gravy mix) and a bay leaf. Simmer on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, then discard bay leaf. To serve line bowl with dried bread cubes or bread crust, sprinkle lightly with mozzarella or Swiss cheese and top with soup, drizzle top with a bit of steak sauce. Yummmm.... And if your man loves steak, this recipe will make you that much sexier tonight.

Last edited by almeeker; 07-23-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.