Notices

periods and weight loss

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default periods and weight loss

My periods take a while in-between (35-45 days sometimes!) I was wondering if anyone noticed their periods becoming more regular as they were reaching a healthier weight? I REALLY want regular periods I can count on. I used to have them regularly on hormonal birth control, but I hated the other side effects.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:29 AM
FitDay Member

A couple years ago, after losing 20 pounds and changing my lifestyle pretty drastically with diet and exercise, my body and hormones didn't know what was going on. The regularity of my periods stayed the same... every 30-40 days, but I'd spot for up to a week before I'd actually start. It was driving me crazy, but thankfully my body adjusted after 4-5 months. I've talked to others who have had similar experiences... our hormones get a little whacked out with the change of lifestyle, even if it's a healthy one!

Until recently, I'd been less active again and I gained a few pounds back. I'm hoping that jumping back on the wagon doesn't cause problems again. I know that didn't really answer your question, but definitely be prepared for your body to mess with you a little! Good luck!

---After replying, I saw that you've already lost a lot of weight, so I'm not sure what your body will want to do! If you haven't had any changes so far, you might not see any. Great job on the weight loss, btw!

Last edited by sarkai90; 06-30-2010 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM
FitDay Member

I'm having almost the same problem.

Before I tried to lose weight I would normally get my period every 28 days (no more no less). Since I was 16 years old. Now since I lost 16 lbs I've noticed I would get it every 40 days. I passed it off as getting older (I just turned 30) or stress or because I had a Tubal Ligation. But after reading your post, it is now making sense. It could be the weight loss.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

I had an IUD put in a couple of years ago, which stopped my periods a few months later. But after losing about 40ish pounds, my periods started up again. They were very very light and only lasted a couple of days, but to go from no periods to having them again was intolerable! I do think the weight loss made the difference, that my body needed to adjust to hormone levels being different. They were also a lot less predictable as far as the number of days between periods. In just the last month or two, they seem to have stopped again (hate to admit it because every time I say it's not going to come...then it does!). Hopefully they stay gone!
Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

I was reading up on this topic and so far I found one sight that talks about the reason for irregular peiods.

If you are not pregnant, other causes of missed or irregular periods include:

* Excessive weight loss or gain. Although low body weight is a common cause of missed or irregular periods, obesity also can cause menstrual problems.
* Eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia. For more information, see the topic Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa.
* Increased exercise. Missed periods are common in endurance athletes.
* Emotional stress.
* Illness.
* Travel.
* Medicines such as birth control methods, which may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, or skipped periods or no periods at all.
* Hormone problems. This may cause a change in the levels of the hormones that the body needs to support menstruation.
* Illegal drug use.
* Problems with the pelvic organs Click here to see an illustration., such as imperforate hymen, polycystic ovary syndrome, or Asherman's syndrome.
* Breast-feeding. Many women do not resume regular periods until they have completed breast-feeding.

The highlighted ones seem like our reasons.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vickytoria3112
I was reading up on this topic and so far I found one sight that talks about the reason for irregular peiods.

If you are not pregnant, other causes of missed or irregular periods include:

* Excessive weight loss or gain. Although low body weight is a common cause of missed or irregular periods, obesity also can cause menstrual problems.
* Eating disorders, such as anorexia or bulimia. For more information, see the topic Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia Nervosa.
* Increased exercise. Missed periods are common in endurance athletes.
* Emotional stress.
* Illness.
* Travel.
* Medicines such as birth control methods, which may cause lighter, less frequent, more frequent, or skipped periods or no periods at all.
* Hormone problems. This may cause a change in the levels of the hormones that the body needs to support menstruation.
* Illegal drug use.
* Problems with the pelvic organs Click here to see an illustration., such as imperforate hymen, polycystic ovary syndrome, or Asherman's syndrome.
* Breast-feeding. Many women do not resume regular periods until they have completed breast-feeding.

The highlighted ones seem like our reasons.
thanks!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

I hear you all on the irregular periods... I used to be on 'the pill,' but also gave it up because I didn't like the side effects. My periods were pretty regular, and became regular after being off the pill for 2-3mos, but after losing some weight and now exercising 6 days a week (a big change from 2 mos ago), it's definitely been a bit erratic. Good news is that the side effects (back pain and nausea, namely) are greatly reduced, but now Aunt Flo seems to come a bit sooner than usual >.<

I think once we give our bodies some time to catch up with our ambitions, she'll regulate her visits.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:17 PM
FitDay Member

I had the same thing