Notices

I need serious advice!

Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Question I need serious advice!

Hi again, this is what I ate today, what am I doing wrong.. what should I be monitoring, calories, fat, carbs.. any advice:
Breakfast
1/2 bran muffin (110 cals)
1 boiled egg
snap peas

1/2 cheese bun (100 cals)
Yogurt

Lunch
1/2 cheese bun(100 cals)
1 boiled egg
baby carrots

Digestive cookies (no sugar and high in fibre)
1/2 bran muffin (110 cals)

Dinner
Kidney beans
1/2 cup rice

Drinking 6 water bottles a day and 1 cup of coffee.

I tried like 10 years ago the 20 fat-30 fibre plan and it worked wonders but doesn't seem to be working anymore!

I alternate my intake of veggies and carbs. I am not quite sure of all the nutrition values off hand, but the ones I do know I have included the calories. I know that my fibre intake has been .. well very beneficial! My thoughts are carb intake may be too high but no idea how what my carb intake should be.

The numbers on my scale keep going up!

Oh and sorry not the most computer literate so if someone can explain how to join a thread, I would be very greatful

Thanks,
Drop30lbs

I
Old 06-24-2010, 01:00 AM
FitDay Member

Hey drop30lbs,

Although I am certainly no expert, right off the bat I see a lot of carbs and starch. Everyone is different, and what works for me may not work for you. But I drop weight very quickly when I replace my starches and carbs with fruits and veggies. Alternatively, my weight goes up quickly when I add them back in.

Give it a try. It may help. Good luck!

quinn
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with Quinn's advice. I would also suggest that you eat more lean protein sources (egg whites, chicken, turkey, fish) with vegetables in place of the starches in your afternoon and evening meal. I can't tell how many calories you are eating but try not to eat too little (not less that 1200-1300). Another tasty thing you might want to try is adding in some healthy fats in some of your snacks (celery and peanut/almond butter, handful of almonds with a fruit, etc.). Good luck!

Amber
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

I recently got some advice for fat loss from a trainer:

Don't eat carbs after lunch unless you work out late.
Eat carbs right before a workout, and protien right after.
Eat a lean protien and a fruit or veggie at every meal (veggies are better).
If you need a bedtime snack, eat one serving of almonds.

I can't say how well this works because it is just too many rules for me and I must eat carbs at every meal to keep my energy up.

I see that it is around 1100 calories that you are eating in a day. I found that if I cut calories too much I don't lose weight, I gain. My lower threshold is about 1600 calories eaten, but I burn about 1850 calories on days I don't workout, 2200 on days I do.

It might be trial and error, but take the advice you think you can incorporate and try it. If it works, great! If not, keep trying, you just have to find what works for you!!
Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 AM
FitDay Member

I am not familiar with the “20 fat-30 fiber plan,” but it sounds like a ‘low fat’ / ‘hi fiber’ diet. I don’t believe your meal-plan achieves either goal. That may be why you’re not losing weight. (You also need to be sure you are eating the right amount of calories; not too many; not too few.)

'Low-Fat': From what I can tell, you are eating a lot of fat, from full-fat dairy and eggs, and baked goods. In one day you ate 1 yogurt, 1 whole cheese bun, and 2 eggs. A lot of people recommend switching to low-fat versions. Also, a lot of baked goods are high in fat and offer very little (if any) nutrition. You ate a muffin, cookies (digestive or not), and cheese bun (I assume this has flour?). If you want to work on a low-fat diet, you would need to reserve these for treats; not the mainstay of your diet.

‘Hi-Fiber’: Many people believe that bran and grains (and fiber supplements) are the only ways to consume sufficient fiber. Despite the advertising however, fruits, veggies and beans have the highest fiber per calorie. Plus, they provide much more nutrition. So, I agree with everyone that you need to increase your fruit and vegetable consumption. (In one day, you only ate baby carrots and snap peas.) Try to make the main part of your lunch and dinner a big salad (try a spinach salad) with vegetables, beans and your choice of protein (chicken, eggs, fish, etc.). Lastly, when you eat a grain (like rice) switch to a whole grain, like brown rice. You’ll get more nutrition and more fiber.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2010, 08:08 AM
FitDay Member

it seems you need more veggie based carbs, less starch based carbs and more lean protein. I think my food journal is public - feel free to go in there and check on a day I reported on (was sick for a while so was lax about recording everything).
1. You need to eat protein 1 hour after waking.
2. Eat veggie carbs with protein to amp your metabolism and stablize your blood sugar.
3. Eat a little fat - such as feta cheese, olive oil etc. 4x everyday - one serving is 1tbs, so I have 1tbs olive oil with cucumbers and tomato with some white vinegar everyday with my lunch protein.
4. Do your research - cheese buns? Bran muffins? Bran muffins have more fat than almost any other muffin - it's how they get them to taste even remotely good.
5. Eat LARGE portions of your free foods - veggies! Carrots, tomatoes, broccoli - eat until your heart's content. I usually save one of my fat servings to have a little butter on my steamed broccoli at dinner - so yummy.

Good luck honey, it's all about the tweaking.