Notices

Advice Needed

Old 06-20-2010, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

I can see why you are struggling, Skelly. You are dealing with a lot. I was just reading an article about protein on this site and it mentioned Whey protein. I knew I had powdered protein, but didn't know if it was Whey. Well that is written on it bigger than I'd have to be blind not to see it. Aparrently all that powdered stuff is whey. I thought of you as I read it. The article said that each meal should have protein in it and that protein burns builds muscle and burns fat. Actually, it is much more complicated than that but that is what eventually happens. Protein doesn't go in like a lawn mower and mow the fat down. The use of the muscles does. I've used whey and it doesn't make you bulk up, like the body builders. I became more toned. It's just something to think about and snacks don't have to be fruit, Shelly. There's an article in here or maybe another site, that gives 50 healthful snacks. I could think of one and that is that string cheese. I haven't tried them. I don't eat cheese by itself. If you go below the articles that are shown, there are different areas of interests.

And yes, it is a pain getting older. My body sometimes knows it, but my mind doesn't. I think the other site is caloriecount.com, but like this one you have to join.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:25 PM
FitDay Member

Skelly,

So far it looks like you are on track with the health issues and some reason to why you can't get the weight off. You have received some very good points from the other users. Also, if possible, try to eat small meals and snacks every two hours. I've noticed personally my metabolism working fine if I eat every two hours. My body is no more in starvation mode. Drink plenty of water as well. Water plays a crucial part in weight loss.

Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. I drink a lot of water most days. Unsweet tea as well. I teach class after work tonight so I have my lunch, dinner and snacks with me for the day. I just entered breakfast, lunch, dinner and two snacks into my logs and it only comes to 1063 calories! With an hour of setting up class, an hour of teaching class and then taking an hour class I most likely need to eat more today. Any suggestion for adding more protein to my meals or snacks without adding more fat?
Old 06-21-2010, 04:43 AM
FitDay Member

Protein rich foods.

Beef

* Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
* Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
* Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken

* Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
* Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
* Drumstick – 11 grams
* Wing – 6 grams
* Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

* Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
* Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

* Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
* Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
* Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
* Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
* Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
* Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy

* Egg, large - 6 grams protein
* Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
* Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
* Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
* Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
* Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
* Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

* Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
* Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
* Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
* Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
* Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
* Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

* Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
* Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
* Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
* Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
* Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
* Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
* Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
* Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein.

There's more but this is what I eat.

Also check out this website http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/nutrit...ein-foods.html

Last edited by vickytoria3112; 06-21-2010 at 04:48 AM.