FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Do you ever feel judged about what you are eating? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1281-do-you-ever-feel-judged-about-what-you-eating.html)

NZ_Rachael 06-09-2010 03:36 PM

Do you ever feel judged about what you are eating?

Why is it that people don't seem to see anything wrong with commenting on what you are eating (in relation to your size - fat or thin)

You often hear of people who are told they shouldn't be eating something 'fatty' or 'unhealthy' as they are 'too fat'.

I'm quite slim (still need to lose a lil bit of belly to be 100% happy) and I find that people often comment when Im eating something like fruit or salads. They ask me if im on a diet. Or comment thats its strange that im not eating something like chips.

I have never been on a diet. I like to eat healthy 90% of the time because its good for my body, and makes me feel good. I don't think its fair people make assumptions about why people eat they way they do.

What do you think?

Javanista81 06-10-2010 03:42 AM

I totally relate to this. I'm fairly thin, too, and make an effort to eat healthily simply because it makes me feel good. But the main reason I "fail" at doing so when I eat with people is because of comments like these. I actually feel pressure to eat more just so that no one will notice and assume I'm "dieting" and encourage me to eat more. It's called being healthy, thank you!

Actually, there have been several occasions when these comments have come from complete strangers; men who were standing in line with me or waiting for their orders whom I didn't even notice until they commented. It's so weird. Do they think they're flattering us by assuming we're on a diet? Trying a bad pick-up line? Making fun of us? I don't know!

At least these incidents are pretty rare in my case. Does it happen more often with you?

blackrhino2 06-10-2010 04:33 AM

The same thing happens to me. I end up binging in front of people to prove I'm not on a diet. It's really an annoying cycle as then I have to be super careful about what I eat for a few days later. I'm pretty sure I'm getting over it now though. phew.

wannabefitgrl 06-10-2010 10:40 AM

I get that a lot at work among the ladies I spend most of the day with. They know very well that I'm not "on a diet" and am just being healthy, but it's their little joke that I never eat anything that's bad for me. It's annoying, sure, but when I'm bragging about dropping pants sizes every couple months it makes it all worth it!

On the other hand, I think I'm guilty of doing this to other people...but I don't usually say anything out loud. I think it's mostly because those ladies are always talking about how they want to be healthy or make better choices, but keep bringing a bag of cookies for lunch, yadda yadda yadda. Or how every day this one girl says she wants chocolate or "I think I deserve a treat". It's not a treat if you eat it every day!

Anyway, I try not to judge and usually keep it to myself so hopefully I'm not hurting other peoples' feelings or offending them in any way...

almeeker 06-10-2010 11:43 AM

I'm an odd case. I'm a very big eater, but it's all very healthy stuff and I work hard to burn it off (and them some). I've lost more than 80 pounds recently, mostly by tracking my foods and my workouts, and keeping the burn higher than the intake. But I'll tell you what, people watch every bite I put in my mouth. I think they're surprised that I still eat a ton, yet manage to keep dropping weight. I went camping recently with the Girl Scouts, and every time I got out one of my snacks, this one mom was like "you're eating again?". When I finally reach goal I think people will accuse me of being one of those skinny people that can eat whatever they want and never gain a pound. Which we all know is bunk, because I watch every bite I eat and frequently don't eat what I want at all.

Lizzycritter 06-10-2010 11:58 AM

Skinny habits make skinny butts, and fat habits make fat butts. I try to limit my "treats" to 10% of my total calories, so right now that's about 150 calories a day I can spend on junk food, candy, or alcohol. I don't always use it but it's nice to know it's there. Helps me to keep my portions under control too.

NZ_Rachael 06-10-2010 03:06 PM

I am very glad some people understand!
Its not even like I don't eat much. I generally eat a lot, but I eat a lot of healthy food. And when you eat healthy food you can get away with eating a lot more!

I'm also guilty of bingeing on heaps of junk in front of people so they don't think Im on a diet. Why is eating healthy now the abnormal thing to do?? And everyone that chooses to eat the diet that used to be the norm, now must be on a diet?

I am right in the middle of a healthy weight range (my BMI is 21.7 healthy weight is between 18.5 and 24.9) and I have had people comment on me being too skinny before. Thats crazy! People a few decades ago would have considered that to be the norm.

alice6065 06-12-2010 05:35 PM

Great subject. I find other people's comments hard to deal with even when they're complimenting me on how good I look . . . because I've lost weight.

So I've been taking it slowly enough that people don't notice and comment so darn much. A smaller calorie deficit makes it take longer for the weight to go away, but I don't feel deprived while it's going. The comments subside after maintaining each level (10-20 lbs) for a while, and then there's time to get used to the changes in my body and eating habits; buy clothes and have them fit for a while; feel safe getting rid of the bigger sizes. It's taken two or three years to go from 230 to the 190's, but those 35-40 pounds are GONE.

Now I'm ready to drop a little more, and I'm actually getting into an exercise program. That is a good thing, but I'm a little worried it will make obvious changes and the comments will start again. Hopefully I'll feel so healthy and good I'll be able to deal with them better. I'm really close to that awesome line between obesity and overweight, and that's pretty exciting.