FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Protein Shakes (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/126-protein-shakes.html)

JRamirez24 01-12-2010 01:48 AM

Protein Shakes

Hello ladies,

have any of you ever tried proteing shakes? well I was reading about Protein Shakes made with when and soy proteins. Apparently is supposed to make you feel fuller longer while giving you a good dose of protein and fiber.
I am thinking about starting to drink those, by making them myself all I have to do is buy the Whey proteing and some soy milk...

any comments if you have tried it?

msmarilyn3 01-12-2010 03:00 PM

The only whey protien shakes I've tried are from Walmart called body fortress comes in a huge container for $15.00 taste good too :)

JRamirez24 01-13-2010 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by msmarilyn3 (Post 790)
The only whey protien shakes I've tried are from Walmart called body fortress comes in a huge container for $15.00 taste good too :)

thanks msmarilyn i will look into that!

emilymckelvain 01-13-2010 01:37 PM

I started using a protein shake about three months ago that I really like. It's by Dymatize Nutrition and is called Elite Whey Protein Isolate. I use the Rich Chocolate flavor, but they have lots of different flavors available. It has 24g of protein and only 117 calories and mixes easily with water or milk, so I'm sure you could mix it with soy milk too. It really does help you feel full longer and helps me to balance out my protein / carb / fat ratios. I compared a lot of different shakes on Amazon, and thought this one had a fairly high protein content for the calories compared to others. I originally bought it at Amazon and just re-ordered directly from the supplier at [link removed]

JRamirez24 01-14-2010 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=emilymckelvain;858]I started using a protein shake about three months ago that I really like. It's by Dymatize Nutrition and is called Elite Whey Protein Isolate. I use the Rich Chocolate flavor, but they have lots of different flavors available. It has 24g of protein and only 117 calories and mixes easily with water or milk, so I'm sure you could mix it with soy milk too. It really does help you feel full longer and helps me to balance out my protein / carb / fat ratios. I compared a lot of different shakes on Amazon, and thought this one had a fairly high protein content for the calories compared to others. I originally bought it at Amazon and just re-ordered directly from the supplier at [link removed]

thank you so much! i had looked into a mix they sell at GNC its whey protein and you just have to mix it wiht soy milk and you can add berries or any kind of fruit you like. I do really need to get more protein in my diet so I will buy that then, thanks for the reply!

showmenow 01-14-2010 01:51 AM

Do you drink these shakes in place of a meal or have them for a snack? I tried one by Metabolife and was told that it should take the place of a meal, that it would make me feel full etc. I was hungrier after I drank it than I was before. I guess I just have to have food to make me feel full instead of drinking my meal. I haven't had another one since.

ArchyJill 01-14-2010 02:34 AM

I use Myoplex lite in place of milk with my Kashi Go-Lean cereal in the morning. Gets me about 15 grams of fiber and 30 grams of protein in one bowl, only costs about 281 calories...if you use the chocolate Myoplex it sort of tastes like cocoa puffs cereal!

emilymckelvain 01-14-2010 03:07 PM

Hi showmenow, I've used the protein shakes both ways. If I've eaten heavier during the day, sometimes I'll just have a protein shake in the evening, but usually I use it to supplement what I eat the rest of the day, most commonly right after a workout.

WeightlossBoo 07-13-2010 07:24 PM

Best protein shakes for women?

I live in the UK, I'm very confused about protein shakes and I would like to know what ones are best to help boost my protein intake without huge muscle bulk? It would help if they are sold in the UK as I don't want to pay huge postage costs.

Thanks in advance! :)

almeeker 07-13-2010 11:08 PM

I buy a brand called Spiru-Tein. I have no idea if you can buy it in the UK. I like it because it's only got 96 calories per serving, a ton of vitamins that I do need, and not too many of the muscle building nutrients added to it.

charlottes-p 07-13-2010 11:10 PM

Unless you are doing very heavy weights regularly, no amount of protein is going to make you 'bulky'. It just isn't that easy for women. It has taken me a long time to 'out-gun' most men, and I have done many years of twice daily heavy resistance training. Trust me, you will not bulk up without very good reason to.

Protein powders are all much of a like. Most health food stores tend to stock them and, I find, have plenty of information available on each individual one in store. Personally, I like Lamberts Pea Protein- which is quite simply dried peas. It has more protein per weight than a lot of powders, and tastes good stirred into most dishes, as well as with just milk.

rpmcduff 07-14-2010 04:18 AM

Look for brands that have low carb and fat content. There is some trial and error finding a brand that tastes good to you. I think the one I currently use (Body Fortress brand from Wal-Mart) is 2g carbs, 1g fat and 26g protein. I also agree with charlottes-p, you are not going to get bulky from using protein powder. That would take steroids and an intensive lifting regimen, not just protein.

The protein will help you retain your current muscle while you are dieting. Since muscle is the furnace that burns calories you want to keep as much as possible. Women will find their muscles will become denser and stronger when they embarking on a lifting program but experience little bulking. If you are skeptical (because this is a long standing myth) then take measurments periodically and confirm for yourself if you are bulking.

Tandoorichicken has some good posts on the forum concerning women and bulking.

mhibdon 07-14-2010 05:02 AM

I second the sentiment that you should go to your favorite health store and ask one of the employees, just just look at the labels until you find one that suits your needs and still looks tasty!

At the moment I'm using Champion Nutrition Pure Whey and I love it! Though I'll be on the hunt for new flavors soon so I'll post back if I find anything delicious!

almeeker 07-14-2010 11:26 AM

While I agree that most women don't get bulky without a serious and intentional long term effort, I would argue that some women are genetically more prone to looking bulky than others. If weightlossBoo is worried about looking bulky, she may have good reason. I come from a long line of short, stocky, muscular people, and it really doesn't take to much weight lifting before I start looking like a field stone privy.

DecemberBlue 07-14-2010 01:04 PM

isopure hand down one of the best, high protein per single srving low carb no bbias calories and has chain amino in high amounts

cjohnson728 07-14-2010 01:40 PM

I have Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein. It's got 120 calories, 1 gram of fat, 3 carbs, and 24 grams of protein. It comes in a ton of flavors; I've just started with it and so far have only tried the rich chocolate...it's okay-tasting (but I guess I was hoping for closer to a chocolate milkshake :)).

tandoorichicken 07-14-2010 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 15876)
While I agree that most women don't get bulky without a serious and intentional long term effort, I would argue that some women are genetically more prone to looking bulky than others. If weightlossBoo is worried about looking bulky, she may have good reason. I come from a long line of short, stocky, muscular people, and it really doesn't take to much weight lifting before I start looking like a field stone privy.

Almeeker,

I've noticed you've mentioned this before too. I know this may be the case in some instances, but even then, the end result isn't as "freakish" as some people think. Some examples:

Here's a woman that pushes heavy weight, but may not be genetically as prone to bigger muscles: Olympic lifter Julia Rohde. Here's a woman that pushes heavy weight, and IS genetically prone to bigger muscles: Figure competitor Pauline Nordin (the quote is pretty cool too).

Here's what a lot of women think will happen when they lift anything heavier than a textbook: Female bodybuilder Iris Kyle.

:confused:

That's the myth I'm up here trying to always bust. :)

almeeker 07-14-2010 11:19 PM

LOL, Somehow I knew that would get tandoori's attention. Yes, I know what you are trying to say. In terms of comparison, I'm probably closest to Pauline Nordin, but shorter, although I could never wear those shorts in public (my mother would KILL me :eek: ). I certainly have similar definition in my arms, shoulders and back and would bet that my workouts are a small percentage of hers. If I lifted every day and really pushed it, the female body builder body look is not out of question. All I was trying to say is that some people are much more prone to bulky muscles than others, and while I want to be strong and look strong, I also want to look like a woman, not a gorilla. And it sounds as if Weighlossboo has a similar position on the issue.

The_Overlord 07-15-2010 04:04 AM

What is you level of atheletism?
If you are not advanced or pro, you probibly don't need to supliment your protein intake. Even if you take extra protein, you have to work at an advanced level to build enough muscle to look bulky. Most people don't lift consistantly long enough to see much results. One thing women seem to forget is IF you start to look bulky, stop lifing weights. If you look bulky because you are eating/drinking extra protein, stop it, (it's probibly fat bulk and not muscle anyway).

WeightlossBoo 07-15-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by The_Overlord (Post 15923)
What is you level of atheletism?
If you are not advanced or pro, you probibly don't need to supliment your protein intake. Even if you take extra protein, you have to work at an advanced level to build enough muscle to look bulky. Most people don't lift consistantly long enough to see much results. One thing women seem to forget is IF you start to look bulky, stop lifing weights. If you look bulky because you are eating/drinking extra protein, stop it, (it's probibly fat bulk and not muscle anyway).

Well I've only just started my weight loss and exercise plan, but I've always been quite strong and already have slight muscle definition in my shoulders. I'm concerned about my protein intake as my carb ratio per day is about 60%-70% and others have suggested protein shakes to help.
I do intensive cardio work-outs 5-7 times a week, a small amount of weight training daily and swimming 2-3 times a week.

The_Overlord 07-16-2010 05:18 AM

I think trying a protein supplement or any dietary supplement is fine if you monitor your use. If you are not getting the results you want, stop using it.
It doesn't sound like your workout regimen is geared toward bulking up, so I would feel fine trying a protein supplement without the fear of building bulky muscles. Just keep monitoring your shoulders (measure them if you like) and make adjustments to your diet/workout regimen.
I have just recently began to eat a PowerBar w/protein before my workouts. I think it may make a slight improvement in my energy and help me to maintain some of the muscle I have during my dieting.

gmantych 11-20-2010 01:35 AM

Protein Shakes

Hey Ladies. I just bought my first protein powder last night. This morning I just mixed it with milk and ice. It was actually pretty good. I think I am hooked! Almeeker had given me some ideas on another thread. I was hoping you ladies could give tell me your favorites. I am looking to possibly make it my breakfast in the mornings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

GameGal 11-20-2010 06:36 AM

I was at a friends last weekend and she made me one and it was pretty good...

She took skim milk, a little low fat yogurt ( maybe 1/2 cup?) frozen strawberries and the protein powder. She basically said it was a smoothie with protien. She also said she usually adds a raw egg but she knew I wouldnt drink it LOL! and she was right!

almeeker 11-20-2010 09:13 AM

I have an Oster blender. It's a beaut and makes a racket like a turbo charged swamp buggy, but it's worked faithfully for years. On the 100 pound thread a poster mentioned that she got a little smoothie maker that makes the smoothie in a cup that you just grab and go with. So I went looking for it thinking that my Oster beast and the giant glass container was a little much to deal with some days. When I got to the store I found a smoothie maker that actually fits on my Oster!!! I was very pumped about it because it comes with an extra blade that actually will fit into my regular blender, and it was a bit less than the other one. Very cool that!!!

I will put pretty much anything (except raw egg) into my smoothies. Most of the time I use almond milk, frozen fruit, protein powder and a little blender magic.

GameGal 11-20-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 26080)
I have an Oster blender. It's a beaut and makes a racket like a turbo charged swamp buggy, but it's worked faithfully for years. On the 100 pound thread a poster mentioned that she got a little smoothie maker that makes the smoothie in a cup that you just grab and go with. So I went looking for it thinking that my Oster beast and the giant glass container was a little much to deal with some days. When I got to the store I found a smoothie maker that actually fits on my Oster!!! I was very pumped about it because it comes with an extra blade that actually will fit into my regular blender, and it was a bit less than the other one. Very cool that!!!

I will put pretty much anything (except raw egg) into my smoothies. Most of the time I use almond milk, frozen fruit, protein powder and a little blender magic.

The ONLY one I saw at Wally World the other week was the one for the oysterizer blender. If there was another , either my store doesnt carry it or perhaps they were one in the same?

Lizzycritter 11-20-2010 12:08 PM

Almeeker, where did you find that? I may want it on my Christmas list, I haven't had a smoothie in a very very long time since it's such a pain to clean the blender, but since it's winter and fresh berries are out of season, I've been thinking about buying some frozen ones.

mhibdon 11-01-2011 11:56 PM

Protein Shakes

Hello!
I am a 20 year old female college student with PCOS & pre-diabetes who has finally decided to bite the bullet again and buy protein powder shake mix to boost my protein intake. However, it has been a couple years since I have purchased a tub and I want to make sure that I am buying the best one for my weight loss and strength training goals. <- What I mean by this is that I am looking for a powder that is more nutritionally dense than caloricly dense.

So then, does anyone know of any brands or products that are reputable and have:
-Low Carbs
-Low Sugar
-High Protein
-Thick Consistency
?

01gt4.6 11-02-2011 01:11 AM

I've tried many brands and now I have Optimum Nutrition, it's expensive and it sucks. I would recommend MGN (muscle gauge nutrition) for price, flavor and the consistancy is hands down the best of what I've tried. I like the cake batter and ice cream sandwich. I mix mine with cottage cheese, water & ice in a blender and it comes out like a thick milk shake.

mscaramelle 01-15-2012 06:20 PM

Protein Smoothies

I;m really enjoying the SPAMVi-Shape Shake Mix [/URL]by Visalus.

This is what is in it.

The shake mix provides complete nutrition—fast.

»» Helps control appetite.
»» Provides bone-healthy calcium.
»» Provides heart healthy, low fat protein.
»» Helps promote & maintain lean muscle mass.
»» Supports protein digestion and nutrient absorption.
»» Helps support healthy energy levels.
»» Provides fiber benefits for health protection

WHAT CAN YOU ADD TO YOUR PROTEIN-RICH SHAKE MIX?
How about:
Mango, Bananas. Strawberries, Kiwi, peaches, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, Peanut Butter, Cinnamon, avocado, pineapple, and add either OJ, Yogurt, low-fat milk, soy milk, almond milk ~ the list is endless!

Diabetic-Friendly
Gluten-Free
Kosher-Friendly
Heart-healthy non-GMO soy protein
(no isoflavones)
The Shake Mix that tastes like a Cake Mix!

I am taking 2 a day for weight loss.

You can take 1 for maintenance and lean muscle mass and a good dose of nutrition.

Hulk Hogan recommends these shakes....and alot of celebs are using them too.

01gt4.6 01-16-2012 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by mscaramelle (Post 68588)
I;m really enjoying the SPAMVi-Shape Shake Mix [/url]by Visalus.

This is what is in it.

The shake mix provides complete nutrition—fast.

»» Helps control appetite.
»» Provides bone-healthy calcium.
»» Provides heart healthy, low fat protein.
»» Helps promote & maintain lean muscle mass.
»» Supports protein digestion and nutrient absorption.
»» Helps support healthy energy levels.
»» Provides fiber benefits for health protection

WHAT CAN YOU ADD TO YOUR PROTEIN-RICH SHAKE MIX?
How about:
Mango, Bananas. Strawberries, Kiwi, peaches, blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, Peanut Butter, Cinnamon, avocado, pineapple, and add either OJ, Yogurt, low-fat milk, soy milk, almond milk ~ the list is endless!

Diabetic-Friendly
Gluten-Free
Kosher-Friendly
Heart-healthy non-GMO soy protein
(no isoflavones)
The Shake Mix that tastes like a Cake Mix!

I am taking 2 a day for weight loss.

You can take 1 for maintenance and lean muscle mass and a good dose of nutrition.

Hulk Hogan recommends these shakes....and alot of celebs are using them too.

I have a dumb question... if the "shake mix provides complete nutrition" and taste like "Cake Mix" why would you want to anything to it?

KimJ2005 01-16-2012 05:44 AM

I bought 'Sportzone' soy protein shake from Shoppers Drug Mart a few days ago. I don't really find it makes me feel full longer but this was the cheapier kind too. I use it after I exercise but not as a meal replacement. If I just do cardio I only 1 scoop (half dose) but if I do cardio & weights I use a full dose (2 scoops).
They taste good. I like to have a bit to eat after a workout too but only half a 'regular' meal since the shake has plenty of the nutrients needed.
I bought the chocolate flavour too since thats the only choc. I have now (ughh).

KimJ2005 01-16-2012 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 68663)
I have a dumb question... if the "shake mix provides complete nutrition" and taste like "Cake Mix" why would you want to anything to it?

If you crush up ice cubes and/or add yogurt it thickens it up, like a milk shake

Kumochi 01-16-2012 06:55 AM

I like using a protein shake to supplement my protein. Almond milk works well too if you want to avoid dairy. I add yogurt and fruit. I've also started adding a scoop of the protein to my afternoon cafe latte. Makes a great hot drink. Mary