FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Protein Shakes (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/126-protein-shakes.html)

charlottes-p 07-13-2010 11:10 PM

Unless you are doing very heavy weights regularly, no amount of protein is going to make you 'bulky'. It just isn't that easy for women. It has taken me a long time to 'out-gun' most men, and I have done many years of twice daily heavy resistance training. Trust me, you will not bulk up without very good reason to.

Protein powders are all much of a like. Most health food stores tend to stock them and, I find, have plenty of information available on each individual one in store. Personally, I like Lamberts Pea Protein- which is quite simply dried peas. It has more protein per weight than a lot of powders, and tastes good stirred into most dishes, as well as with just milk.

rpmcduff 07-14-2010 04:18 AM

Look for brands that have low carb and fat content. There is some trial and error finding a brand that tastes good to you. I think the one I currently use (Body Fortress brand from Wal-Mart) is 2g carbs, 1g fat and 26g protein. I also agree with charlottes-p, you are not going to get bulky from using protein powder. That would take steroids and an intensive lifting regimen, not just protein.

The protein will help you retain your current muscle while you are dieting. Since muscle is the furnace that burns calories you want to keep as much as possible. Women will find their muscles will become denser and stronger when they embarking on a lifting program but experience little bulking. If you are skeptical (because this is a long standing myth) then take measurments periodically and confirm for yourself if you are bulking.

Tandoorichicken has some good posts on the forum concerning women and bulking.

mhibdon 07-14-2010 05:02 AM

I second the sentiment that you should go to your favorite health store and ask one of the employees, just just look at the labels until you find one that suits your needs and still looks tasty!

At the moment I'm using Champion Nutrition Pure Whey and I love it! Though I'll be on the hunt for new flavors soon so I'll post back if I find anything delicious!

almeeker 07-14-2010 11:26 AM

While I agree that most women don't get bulky without a serious and intentional long term effort, I would argue that some women are genetically more prone to looking bulky than others. If weightlossBoo is worried about looking bulky, she may have good reason. I come from a long line of short, stocky, muscular people, and it really doesn't take to much weight lifting before I start looking like a field stone privy.

DecemberBlue 07-14-2010 01:04 PM

isopure hand down one of the best, high protein per single srving low carb no bbias calories and has chain amino in high amounts

cjohnson728 07-14-2010 01:40 PM

I have Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein. It's got 120 calories, 1 gram of fat, 3 carbs, and 24 grams of protein. It comes in a ton of flavors; I've just started with it and so far have only tried the rich chocolate...it's okay-tasting (but I guess I was hoping for closer to a chocolate milkshake :)).

tandoorichicken 07-14-2010 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 15876)
While I agree that most women don't get bulky without a serious and intentional long term effort, I would argue that some women are genetically more prone to looking bulky than others. If weightlossBoo is worried about looking bulky, she may have good reason. I come from a long line of short, stocky, muscular people, and it really doesn't take to much weight lifting before I start looking like a field stone privy.

Almeeker,

I've noticed you've mentioned this before too. I know this may be the case in some instances, but even then, the end result isn't as "freakish" as some people think. Some examples:

Here's a woman that pushes heavy weight, but may not be genetically as prone to bigger muscles: Olympic lifter Julia Rohde. Here's a woman that pushes heavy weight, and IS genetically prone to bigger muscles: Figure competitor Pauline Nordin (the quote is pretty cool too).

Here's what a lot of women think will happen when they lift anything heavier than a textbook: Female bodybuilder Iris Kyle.

:confused:

That's the myth I'm up here trying to always bust. :)

almeeker 07-14-2010 11:19 PM

LOL, Somehow I knew that would get tandoori's attention. Yes, I know what you are trying to say. In terms of comparison, I'm probably closest to Pauline Nordin, but shorter, although I could never wear those shorts in public (my mother would KILL me :eek: ). I certainly have similar definition in my arms, shoulders and back and would bet that my workouts are a small percentage of hers. If I lifted every day and really pushed it, the female body builder body look is not out of question. All I was trying to say is that some people are much more prone to bulky muscles than others, and while I want to be strong and look strong, I also want to look like a woman, not a gorilla. And it sounds as if Weighlossboo has a similar position on the issue.

The_Overlord 07-15-2010 04:04 AM

What is you level of atheletism?
If you are not advanced or pro, you probibly don't need to supliment your protein intake. Even if you take extra protein, you have to work at an advanced level to build enough muscle to look bulky. Most people don't lift consistantly long enough to see much results. One thing women seem to forget is IF you start to look bulky, stop lifing weights. If you look bulky because you are eating/drinking extra protein, stop it, (it's probibly fat bulk and not muscle anyway).

WeightlossBoo 07-15-2010 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by The_Overlord (Post 15923)
What is you level of atheletism?
If you are not advanced or pro, you probibly don't need to supliment your protein intake. Even if you take extra protein, you have to work at an advanced level to build enough muscle to look bulky. Most people don't lift consistantly long enough to see much results. One thing women seem to forget is IF you start to look bulky, stop lifing weights. If you look bulky because you are eating/drinking extra protein, stop it, (it's probibly fat bulk and not muscle anyway).

Well I've only just started my weight loss and exercise plan, but I've always been quite strong and already have slight muscle definition in my shoulders. I'm concerned about my protein intake as my carb ratio per day is about 60%-70% and others have suggested protein shakes to help.
I do intensive cardio work-outs 5-7 times a week, a small amount of weight training daily and swimming 2-3 times a week.