Notices

Finding that Magic Calorie/Fat/Protein Number..

Old 06-07-2010, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default Finding that Magic Calorie/Fat/Protein Number..

Hello!

I signed up for FitDay so that I could monitor my carb, protein, cal and fat intake because I feel that it might be what is behind me not loosing any weight right now. I think one of my problems might be that I am actually not eating enough to due to the type of strenuous exercise I am doing right now. While my job is quite sedentary due to it being a desk job, I exercise 5x a week doing the Crossfit methodology which involves pushing my body basically to the max and I am also lifting weights. FitDay said that I need to have around 1,100 calories a day, which I know is way to low for me. Can anyone give me any guidance about finding out what range I should actually be in?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

1100 seems like an unrealistically low number, especially with an active job and all that exercise. Where is that number coming from? Is it generated by how much you want to lose by a certain goal date? Are you a rather small person to begin with? Make sure all your stats are entered correctly, as well.

The calculator that I like best is this one, though it tends to give a fairly high caloric allotment if you have a great deal to lose: Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

If that doesn't seem intuitively correct, go to your FitDay activities tab and see how much you burn in a day. A 500 calorie deficit per day (activities calories burned minus calories eaten) will result in one pound lost per week; 1000 deficit will equal two pounds per week, etc.

Definitely, not consuming enough calories can be a reason you are holding on to your weight.

Hope this helps. If not, and you're willing to provide some more specifics such as height and weight and what you burn in activities, maybe some other ideas will come...Good Luck!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

Right now I am around 135. I am 5’4. I would like to see the number on the scale move into the 120’s, but I understand that I am lifting heavy weights and so I might not see as big as an improvement on the scale as I might if I were to keep track of my body fat and measurements.

I haven’t been able to find anything that accurately tells me how many calories I burn through exercise, but I do wear a heart rate monitor and the entire time I am working out I know that my heart rate is the the maximum zone.

My ultimate goal is loose body fat and develop some lean muscle, so I am not as hung up as what the scale says (I finally have gotten over this!).

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728

The calculator that I like best is this one, though it tends to give a fairly high caloric allotment if you have a great deal to lose: Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

If that doesn't seem intuitively correct, go to your FitDay activities tab and see how much you burn in a day.
Thanks for the link to the calorie calculator. It confirms what I'm seeing on fitday.