Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Ladies!! I'm 44 years old and 100 lbs overweight and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!!! I really want to get my life on track and lose weight but I am having a very hard time limiting myself to a reasonable calorie budget. I've tried setting my limits high (around 2,000 calories per day) thinking this would make it manageable and a life long change that I can stick with, but even at 2,000 calories a day I can't stay within the limit. I'm starting to think maybe I need to do something more drastic like maybe 1,200 calories a day, even if it's just for a week or two, then limit it to 1,800 after that. What has worked for you all? I'm frustrated and upset at myself and I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to work for me because I can't stick with it. Maybe I need Jillian Michaels to yell at me?!!! Please tell me if anyone knows how to kick start this new way of eating less for the rest of my life.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Susan8Less
Hi Ladies!! I'm 44 years old and 100 lbs overweight and I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired!!! I really want to get my life on track and lose weight but I am having a very hard time limiting myself to a reasonable calorie budget. I've tried setting my limits high (around 2,000 calories per day) thinking this would make it manageable and a life long change that I can stick with, but even at 2,000 calories a day I can't stay within the limit. I'm starting to think maybe I need to do something more drastic like maybe 1,200 calories a day, even if it's just for a week or two, then limit it to 1,800 after that. What has worked for you all? I'm frustrated and upset at myself and I don't know what to do anymore. Nothing seems to work for me because I can't stick with it. Maybe I need Jillian Michaels to yell at me?!!! Please tell me if anyone knows how to kick start this new way of eating less for the rest of my life.

WELCOME WELCOME! Oh I just love new people. We all are on this journey together, and we're all doing it a little differently. Stick around, read the posts and take what information you can use to create a LIFE plan that's going to work for you.
MY advice? Take it slowly. Make small changes a bit at a time and really commit to those new habits before getting too Gung Ho on another. My first? I think it was cutting out all refined sugar... no more candy, cookies, cakes... all the crap. I did that, found that I was strong enough to make other changes and so I did. Next stop: NO MORE FAST FOOD! It saved my waistline, and my budget. Go from concepts you can live with... and most importantly: forgive youself for the MANY hurdles you will throw in your own path and have to courage to start anew. Some of us are just starting, others are psycho hardcore freaks like Almeeker (just kidding! Bhahaha!). Congratulations on beginning the rest of your life, you're with a great group of women.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:00 PM
FitDay Member

well crapalapadingdong! I posted this big ole heartfelt entry about my day and everyone's progress... and the cyber space monkeys threw it on the cutting room floor.... stupid primates. Suffice to say, I am alive, had a decent day, you all are marvelous and have a great day tomorrow!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Some of us are just starting, others are psycho hardcore freaks like Almeeker (just kidding! Bhahaha!).
And she says this after I confessed to drinking beer on Saturday night? It's a good thing I didn't rattle off all the diet sins I committed on Sunday at the fam dad's day bbq. Oh well I've been called worse than a hardcore freak.

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
well crapalapadingdong! I posted this big ole heartfelt entry about my day and everyone's progress... and the cyber space monkeys threw it on the cutting room floor.... stupid primates. Suffice to say, I am alive, had a decent day, you all are marvelous and have a great day tomorrow!
I hate it when that happens. So, how did the pride parade go?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:09 PM
FitDay Member

Post New Kid on the Block

Hi everybody,

My name is Kim, and I just joined today. I'm 42, and about 105lbs overweight give or take. I am in the prequalification process for bariatric surgery; it requires meeting with a dietician every 28 days, a pysch evaluation, various tests (EGD, EKG, gallbladder USG, and lot's of blood work). The process takes 90 days and if qualified, I'm elligible for 6 months. That's a total of 9 months for me to turn it around on my own with out surgery. I've decided to give it one more all out try. My dietician suggested this site, and I must say I like it so far. I'm going to do my best to check in and log daily (the weekends will be my challenge b/c I work 12 hr shifts). I'm also going to begin exercising.

I'm hoping to get advice and support here as well as supporting you all. Any tips you may have will be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone has a Great Day!

New Kid

Last edited by Fitkmb; 06-22-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Kim and Susan! I agree with Erinn - it is GREAT to have new people! As we say here at Girl Scouts, "make new friends but keep the old"...well, you all know how that ends!

Almeeker - I see a big loss posted in your signature...I love how you always try to sneak those in there just to see if we're all paying attention! Congrats! You're firmly in your 150 decade now!

Erinn - I am also looking forward to hearing about the parade. Silly cyber monkeys! Any pics to share on your blog?

Jaynie - You haven't told us how the school and studying have been going lately? How's all that math coming along? I envy you - if I could go back and do it all over again I might have done something with science and math myself. As geeky as it sounds, my favorite part of grant writing is putting together the budgets. (pushing the proverbial glasses up over my nose as we speak!)

Speedy - I know you're struggling, but we're all here for you! I think some exercise would do you good. Is there a class you could take at a local gym or rec center that would serve the dual purpose of exercise and help you get out and meet new people? I'm very proud of you for sticking with your eating plan even through this rough time - you've got to take care of you!

As for me, I felt really good all day yesterday after my workout, but by afternoon, I was getting that familiar soreness and a little weak in the knees. All it took was a groove in the sidewalk to catch the heel of my shoe on the way out of work to send me flying across the pavement in the parking lot. I must have looked a sight all sprawled out with phone, keys, purse, tote bag, and shoe that had become lodged in the sidewalk crack strewn around me. A bruised knee and shoulder and two palms with road rash. Fabulous. Why can't I ever look like I've got my sh*t together? I swear, even when I'm super hot and buff, I will still be the clutziest kid on the block! As a tiny boost to my pride, I saw a new decade on the scale this morning, hopefully I'm still there on my official Thursday weigh-in.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:49 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone
Going to catch up with everyone this morning...its getting nicer and nicer out and harder to get on here...but thats a good thing..means Im out away from the food!!! Just took a minute to download some new tunes for my Ipod and all set to go to day 2 of walking this week so far..Im on a roll..haha.
Jaynie if you feel comfortable sharing on here..then by all means go ahead. I love reading your posts. You have come a long way and to share your life experiences with us helps us all.
Speedy like your weight loss take your personal life one day at a time.. You do recognize the problem and are trying. Coming here and talking about it is a good sign...have you thought of seeking some professional help or some support somewhere? To me (and this is just my own personal opinion) you seem to be going thru something I have in the past when Ive lost family members. Disbelief, denial, thinking of only the good times.... thinking the people you have lost were perfect? The only thing that worked for me was time...I have learned time does heal all wounds. (mine anyways)
Almeeker I like how you handled the pub situation...that sounds like a plan we can all keep in mind. I have a holiday coming up in July for a month and will need every bit of advice, tips and good luck to not gain while Im away. (when I go back home...all everyone wants to do is go out for lunch..go out for supper..etc...its going to be tough)
Egm...our famers markets don’t start for a couple of weeks still..but I love them!!! All organic...good for you...goodness. Nothing like coming home with a huge bag full of fresh right off the farm goodies!! We have one farmer that brings fresh beef with him as well...I swear sometimes its still mooing...haha. I feel for you on the fall....same idea with my shoulder awhile ago. Hope you feel better.
Welcome Susan8 and Fitkmb....
Susan, Erinn has given you good advice. Good luck on your journey....
Fitkmb my best friend just had the geriatric bypass surgery...( I know there is different ones but don’t know the difference) she had the one where they actually cut your stomach in and fold it over?? Anyways she is doing well...and has had success with it. She had the same time frame as you with the tests..evaluations etc... let us know how you are doing along the way.
Ok its a nice day out..and going to take the kids out for a walk....have a great day everyone!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:19 AM
FitDay Member

i need help- just joined today but already am a bit confused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question- it states that my

Weight Loss per Day / Calories per Pound = Calorie Restriction per Day
0.25 ----------------------------3500 ------------875

does this means i should be having 875 calories a day or
3,500- 875= 2625 calroies a day?

also- i am looking for support and encourgament through this..do i just join a forum?
Old 06-22-2010, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

Hang in there, Speedy. We are all here for you. Susan, welcome to the group. Hi Susan. I am probably the only non-Jillian fan on here. I heard and did enough hollering in the military, lol. I would say, first, have you lost any weight, even half a pound and secondly, since you are having so much trouble restricting as a whole, take out one item that you constantly eat that you know is bad for you.

Hi Kim. Nice to meet cha. Yes, unfortunately, here, we all are or were in the same boat, but that gives us a wealth of information also. Between us we all could probably write a book on nutrition. You will find the support you need here and a word of caution, I am the only one that has no life (ret) and posts on the weekend, lol. This is a very valuable site, as I am sure by now you well know. I lost 50 pounds for my son's wedding using it two years ago. The trouble is I get comfortable at the weight I am now, but I am very proud to not have gone up again, so now I am back again trying to lose more. Check out mypyramid.com to see how to balance out a meal for the amount of calories you are eating from the food groups. They have a seven day meal planner there too that is very useful. I don't use it as much now because I eat the same thing for dinner and lunch and only am going to change out my dinner and I know if I throw a couple fruits/yogurt in there, I will be within my caloric limit. You'll see from reading my posts that I am constantly changing my attack on this problem. Each week I am tweaking something or other until I get it right.

Ha, Dobbs, what studying? Something always comes up. I want to clean my house from top to bottom and I haven't written my overseas kids in ages. I have clearly and difinitively decided that I will definitely, really, really, without a doubt start on June 28, which is two months before school starts. Who wants to study in the summer? I have a feeling that I am just going to end up going back cold. I learned it that way the first time, but I do have this fear in the pit of my stomach that I will fail. Right now I have to get over the breast cancer scare hurdle and I wish I had scheduled for Friday instead of Tuesday, but oh well. I've tried to imagine it with a silver lining. I absolutely despise those two pendulums hanging from my chest anyway and planned to have a reduction when the weight came off, so if I have to get one chopped off, then I would have the other and get reconstruction back to my perfect 34C's after losing the weight of course. It's the treatment that scares me. I have put off school for this construction for a year and I can't keep putting it off. MY VA counselor has been wonderful with this aspect. And do I do it now or wait until the fall when there are no contractors here and I can have peace in my misery. Oh well, I am just trying to prepare myself for the worst. Been through worse, I think, so I can tackle this if the diagnosis is bad. And I think I will go ahead with any treatment as soon as possible also. Sorry, guys, you know how I write to figure out what I am going to do. This would ordinarily be in my journal. Gosh it has been blank since I met you guys. Waaaaaaay too much shaaring. lol.

Dobbs, I think I have you beat in the coordination department. I tried out for basketball and did lay-ups behind the basket. I am definitely a clutz. I was walking through a garage one time and probably found the only area of oil and water and up my feet went. I went down so hard and fast and everybody came running and I figured out later, they were worried about a suit. They really should have had signs. But I pulled myself up with a chair they brought to me. I can't tell you the countless times I have fallen. I keep forgetting my age and that I should be more careful, but in my head I really don't feel 52, whatever that is. Are you still hurting???

Patti, I was trying to find a farmer's market near here. The super's only have so much organic food and the crucial part of my journey is not the weight loss but to eat better. I mean for now, I am home most of the day. I could put up some vegetables and fruits; not that I know how. My mom used to do it all the time. Our basement kitchen was filled with it on the shelves.

Anyway, I have a ton of mail to go through, so let me have at it.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
i need help- just joined today but already am a bit confused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question- it states that my

Weight Loss per Day / Calories per Pound = Calorie Restriction per Day
0.25 ----------------------------3500 ------------875

does this means i should be having 875 calories a day or
3,500- 875= 2625 calroies a day?

also- i am looking for support and encourgament through this..do i just join a forum?

Hi Kc,

It looks like you already joined this group and so my advice to you is to keep coming back and posting your successes and your struggles

As for the calories... I am not a doctor however I would suggest you talk with yours or a nutritionist to get a realistic starting caloric number.

The example they give was meant as an example only. I personally am on a 1200 calorie diet and under 100 grams of carbs. ( I am diabetic ). A friend of mine is on a 2,000 calorie diet but she goes to the gym 4 days a week. So there is a whole range of caloric intake. It depends on your activity level and physical health.

But to answer your question about the equation... it takes 3500 calories to gain or lose a pound. So if you are on a 2000 calorie range, to lose one pound a week, you need to delete 500 calories EVERY day from those 2000 so your actual intake would be 1500 a day calories.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Last edited by GameGal; 06-23-2010 at 02:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.