Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-17-2010, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

I made this recipe last weekend with a few substitutions - I used 1/2 a slice of turkey bacon to wrap the sweet potatoes, fat free sour cream to make the dipping sauce, and used about 1 tablespoon of chili powder instead of the red hot chili for the marinade (because I didn't have one). And even though it sounds weird, you really do need pure maple syrup in the sauce and it totally makes this dish. We cooked the kabobs over our wood-fired oven my hubby built in the backyard, but it would be just as good on a charcoal grill. Great, healthy father's day recipe, for sure!

Rachael Ray's Official Website :: Smoky Chicken Skewers with Bacon-Wrapped Sweet Potato Kabobs and Maple-Cream Dipper
Old 06-17-2010, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
I am really trying to beat this exhaution with a stick. It's kicking my butt... but on the other hand I am so excited about being in the 250's (and how close that is to 240's) that I am dying to get my butt in gear. I just don't know what I am doing wrong. Maybe my body just isn't happy with 1300 cals a day.... I wish I knew the cause of all this... it seems that it's lasting much longer than just some stupid virus. I am getting to bed on time, but all my extra "oomph" is not there. I want the old me back, I miss that spark - and if being thin means I have ZERO energy, I just don't know if it's worth it. Is anyone out there going through the same thing? I always thought, and felt, that working out was supposed to give energy, not wipe it all away. Please help me guys, I am losing this battle with my eyelids. I am even drinking sugar free energy drinks to get my motor running, nothing is working and I am starting to get scared.
I know my mother, and the trauma of growing up with a 500 pound hateful agoraphobic, is what caused a lot of these issues for me. I have said previously that I don't think anyone can become 400+ pounds and not have some deep issues to battle through. I know I am frightened of being thin, I have this underlying feeling of vulnerability whenever I think of being thin. Even 240's is scary for me. I kindof lose my breath a little bit and become frightened. Who or what am I protecting myself from? Perhaps it's just the perception that the old "fat me" deserved a lot of the old crap I have been taking and that "thin me" will be brave enough to demand more - and that change is scary. Maybe when I meet "thin me" who makes all of these demands, I will find that I really don't deserve any better.... either way it's disconcerting that I am terrified of becoming thinner... huh, maybe that's why I am sabotaging my energy? Deep stuff to consider over here.
Hey Erinn, I had to reply to this. I haven't been on here in awhile because I had flu like symptoms that I will explain later. I wanted to address what you said here. First, 1300 cals is a little low, but if that is what you have been told, then who am I to say but your body just might feel with all the exercise that you do, you aren't getting enough nutrients. You may actually have to bump up your cals a little and spread them out more through the day. Also research for weight lifting, what is the best carb, protein, good fat ratio.

But your further comments really concerned me. First of all a thin you will not have to demand more. People that do that don't earn respect, they force it out of others. Remind you of someone. You will command it, by just being who you are and it will come naturally. You will be treated respectfully and if you are not (because some people just don't know how to act right), then my favorite saying is just consider the source. You've got what it takes. I always go down to your signature and look at your weight loss and am amazed by it. What you have got to do it think about the good things about yourself and I know it sounds corny because they always say this on talk shows, but it works. Start thinking positively about yourself. I don't mean become a narcisist, but remember where you came from. You are past the half way point on your journey.

Now, where have I been. I think it was on Friday, I went to Safeway because I wasn't getting enough to go on base to go to the commissary. Well I bought a bunch of fruit--I mean loads and I am definitely not a fruit eater. I eat plenty of vegetables. I tend to stay away from pasta. To hear me talk I shouldn't be fat. My labs always come back good. My cholesterol was 180 the last time and all the rest are always good. My disability is the result of a traumatic even and not diabetes. The trouble with me is that I eat too much healthy food and I do have a sweet tooth from time to time.

Well you know I was having that problem. I decided to solve it. I ate fruit until it came out of my ears or at least to me it was that way. Found out I like those big peachy looking things that I can't think of the name of now, but boy do they have a lot of juice. So I was doing good on my exercising and on Tuesday, I felt like I had been hit upside the head with a brick and my residuals were swollen and felt like I was walking on tight ballons. I took a couple days off and thought about it and thought about it. Yesterday I came on here and searched for side effects of body cleansing and low and behold, there were all my symptoms. Although I have not quit smoking yet, nor did I stop caffeine, my body was in cleansing mode. A good thing about it is when I light up, there are no smoke receptors to receive the nicotine. My brain doesn't even register the cigarette. When I do hold back, it is a hunger feeling I get or a craving, but it is more like for food and not for a cigarette. I don't have anymore cigarettes, so hopefully, I can hold out. Chewing the heck out of some gum though and I feel like I will definitely be working out tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:50 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by pattialbert
Morning everyone!
I got an unexpected day off today and taking advantage of it..got laundry going..little cleaning and spending the rest of the day at pottery! Tonight I will go for a walk...and check and see if the pool is open yet at the ymca..thats getting frustrating! (little story here..the little guy I watch asked me yesterday if I went to the C.I.A. at lunch time...hahah..he meant the YMCA...I sure chuckled at that one)
Feeling like Im back on plan this week...scale is coming back down and cut out the sugars once again and no cravings so far! Jeez those are hard to beat arnt they? This morning I tried a new recipe (big surprise!! ) a flax seed muffin for low carbers...it was good and I think I can play around with it!
1/ 4 c ground flax seeds
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp splenda
1 egg
1 tsp oil
Add ins: I used some MrsDash spices,,but you can add fruit, berries, cinnamon, cheese, whatever your heart desires!
Put in straight edge mug sprayed with Pam,,,and microwave for 1 min..it works!! I made mine in a small dish Imade and it was perfect! You do have to like flax seeds to like this..more like a cornmeal texture then a bread texture! I ate mine with my omelette this morning! Filling...
Stitchergirl...ouch...its hard to watch your children suffer! Hope hes feeling good soon.
Erinn....maybe you should get checked out . You have lost alot of weight and things could be changing in your body.
Almeeker thats great news your inlaws are going to join you on the journey! You will be a great role model!
Egm that French toast sounds so good for your little guy!! Ive been making muffins and rice krispie square etc for the little ones..but Ive been adding applesauce (no sugar added) , some pureed veggies etc to them without them knowing. These kids do not eat fruit or veggies..so sad.
Christine I don’t like tracking either but it sure helps..and I know when I don’t its wayyyyyyyy too easy to let the calories creep up!! Ive been using mypyramid..its easier to use.
Ok im off to make some pottery here...Im excited to have a whole day in the studio! Im bringing some water and carrots to snack on...have a good day everyone!
What Pyramid?

How do I stop my cravings? I will go well all day and then I get home and I feel like a kid sneaking a spoon.......ok maybe more than 1 spoon of nutella or 1 or more fiber one bars with chocolate etc. I almost feel like I am sabotaging myself.

I really want to get away from chocolate but it calls to me all the time lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
When I read this the other day, I actually got a little choked up, are we sisters? I don't remember another girl, where were you hiding in that house? Actually my mother is wonderful on so many other fronts that I don't resent her too much over this one failing. But seriously, when I got chubby in the 4th grade, my mother put me on a diet, drinking those horrible chalky nasty shakes 3 times/day, no food allowed. I look at my slightly chubby 8 year old and think to myself "thank heaven she doesn't have to live with grandma, or she'd be getting nothing but cold water and protein powder". I've made very subtle changes in the diet at our house, I encourage them to play sports (which my mother always discouraged), I get the kids outside at almost every possible moment, and guess what? It's taken 4 inches off my 8 year old DD's waistline since Jan 1. This is the way to do it, not copious amounts of strawberry protein powder.
Wow how did you lose all your weight? Great job you must be so proud. Tell me all your secrets lol. I would love to say I have lost 84 lbs hell even 50 or less would be great.

I am so scared because I am working out lots and think I eat pretty good for the most part and yet I have lost only 8 pounds since then end of Feb
Old 06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
Hey Erinn, I had to reply to this. I haven't been on here in awhile because I had flu like symptoms that I will explain later. I wanted to address what you said here. First, 1300 cals is a little low, but if that is what you have been told, then who am I to say but your body just might feel with all the exercise that you do, you aren't getting enough nutrients. You may actually have to bump up your cals a little and spread them out more through the day. Also research for weight lifting, what is the best carb, protein, good fat ratio.

But your further comments really concerned me. First of all a thin you will not have to demand more. People that do that don't earn respect, they force it out of others. Remind you of someone. You will command it, by just being who you are and it will come naturally. You will be treated respectfully and if you are not (because some people just don't know how to act right), then my favorite saying is just consider the source. You've got what it takes. I always go down to your signature and look at your weight loss and am amazed by it. What you have got to do it think about the good things about yourself and I know it sounds corny because they always say this on talk shows, but it works. Start thinking positively about yourself. I don't mean become a narcisist, but remember where you came from. You are past the half way point on your journey.

Now, where have I been. I think it was on Friday, I went to Safeway because I wasn't getting enough to go on base to go to the commissary. Well I bought a bunch of fruit--I mean loads and I am definitely not a fruit eater. I eat plenty of vegetables. I tend to stay away from pasta. To hear me talk I shouldn't be fat. My labs always come back good. My cholesterol was 180 the last time and all the rest are always good. My disability is the result of a traumatic even and not diabetes. The trouble with me is that I eat too much healthy food and I do have a sweet tooth from time to time.

Well you know I was having that problem. I decided to solve it. I ate fruit until it came out of my ears or at least to me it was that way. Found out I like those big peachy looking things that I can't think of the name of now, but boy do they have a lot of juice. So I was doing good on my exercising and on Tuesday, I felt like I had been hit upside the head with a brick and my residuals were swollen and felt like I was walking on tight ballons. I took a couple days off and thought about it and thought about it. Yesterday I came on here and searched for side effects of body cleansing and low and behold, there were all my symptoms. Although I have not quit smoking yet, nor did I stop caffeine, my body was in cleansing mode. A good thing about it is when I light up, there are no smoke receptors to receive the nicotine. My brain doesn't even register the cigarette. When I do hold back, it is a hunger feeling I get or a craving, but it is more like for food and not for a cigarette. I don't have anymore cigarettes, so hopefully, I can hold out. Chewing the heck out of some gum though and I feel like I will definitely be working out tomorrow.
We seem to be matching up well since I have the same weight start and goal.

A friend of mine told me he read a huge article about fruit and that I might have to give it up. It talked about the frutose in fruit and how obese people can not process it properly. Now he know s his food and stuff so I trust him but I love fruit lol. it is weird because I have never heard of someone getting fat on fruit but I do know there is a lot of natural sugars in fruit so if you eat a lot of it I guess it would add up.

We are suppose to eat 5 servings isnt it of fruit a day? WOW
Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by christineval
Wow how did you lose all your weight? Great job you must be so proud. Tell me all your secrets lol. I would love to say I have lost 84 lbs hell even 50 or less would be great.

I am so scared because I am working out lots and think I eat pretty good for the most part and yet I have lost only 8 pounds since then end of Feb
My secret is a high protein, low-fat, low-cal, low-carb diet. I shoot for a calorie pie chart that is 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% good fats, and a burn/intake deficit of 1,000-1,500 calories (total calories 1,350-1,650). I've set my "lifestyle" is set to "seated with some movement", I have no idea how accurate that is, but so far it's a fair enough estimate and I try and enter as much of my day as I can remember. I work out 1 hour most days (usually running or on the elliptical and try to maintain a heart rate of 145 for 40-50 minutes). I usually give myself Sunday off, and work in the garden or yard instead, which actually burns more calories than my workout because I'm at it most of the day. I don't really know if I'm proud of myself or not, I feel more energetic and I'm thrilled to be wearing size 12 clothes, but I don't know that "proud" has been a factor. The weird part is that I think I'm now the size I've always perceived myself to be. Does that make sense?

At 244 I weighed more that twice what I should, which was really horrible, I was always tired and sluggish and sort of grouchy, which isn't really "me". I'm so glad I stumbled across fitday, it's helped me a great deal. I think the best thing about it is that it took my weight problem, and turned it into a math problem, which was somehow easier to wrap my mind around. And it's also given me a support group which would have been impossible to come by otherwise. My friends and fam are great and supportive, but they're not living it day in and day out like you guys are, so they can't relate and end up saying things that are sort of "off-base", if you know what I mean.

Hang in there cristineval, you're doing all the right things, and if you stick with it you'll get where you want to be. It's okay that it's coming off slowly, usually the slower it comes off the more permanent it will be over the long haul. If you want to accelerate your weight loss you might look at your calorie pie and figure out what the best ratios are for you. I think you have to try each different set of ratios for a week or more to get a really good idea of what works best.

On the fruit thing, I only eat 3 servings/day, no more no less. Usually I mix it up, one banana, one apple or orange and one serving of small berry type fruit like grapes, strawberries or cherries. Lately it's been strawberries by the bucket load because they are in season and our garden grew a bumper crop this year. On veggies I eat them til they are coming out of my ears, 8-10 serving/day no lie, and at least 1/3 of them green leafys. I usually only have 1-2 servings of grain based carbs everyday, almost always whole grain and low-cal. And I pack on the proteins (130-180 grams/day) mostly tuna, ff cottage cheese, rf colby-jack cheese, eggs, protein shakes, almonds, chicken, fish and lean cuts of beef.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-18-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Christina - Boy do I know where you are right now. If I can echo what the all-wise Almeeker said, it's NOT a diet... it's a life choice. I know that's a huge, "DUH." But until you accept it so deeply in your bones, you will continue having issues with temptation (the nutella and such). I follow a similar plan to Almeeker - though I don't feel confident enough yet to add in fruit, I just added in SOME starchy veggies such as sweet potato and squash. No regular potatoes though. I eat every 2-3 hours... which keeps my metabolism rev'vd high all day. I eat within one hour of waking and TRY my hardest not to eat past 7:00. I say TRY because I have an injury to my back that requires pain killers. Occasionally if my tummy is too empty I get a belly ache so painful I am literally curled up and rocking back and forth crying in pain - like last night, ugh. So, I have to take a bit of milk or cheese for my belly to be coated enough.
I haven't had a non-veg carbohydrate in 2010. We're talking countless holidays, birthdays... you name it. I just tell myself, "you know what that tastes like already." I also remind myself that 1 peice of cake has to power to potentially put my in the gym for much longer than I want to be - it will take longer to get to goal, etc. But, it's a decision, Sweetie - and a really hard one at that.... I have friends who try to force desserts on me, and I just get REALLY forceful back.... I call them, "frien-emies." Because they are not helping me get healthy.
The second thing I wanted to say is drink your water!!! It seriously makes you feel like there is ALWAYS something in your face, and it helps your body flush everything out. I personally don't like water - so I add some cheap Crystal Light that I get from Walmart. Seriously, it's like $1.50 for about 3 day's worth of powder to flavor your water. I love fruit punch, lemonade and iced tea the most. Yummy.
Jaynie - Thanks for your kind words. I am not scared of becoming an ego-centric freak, just that I have been putting up with a lot of abuse my entire life, mostly because of a deep seeded idea that because I'm fat, I should expect less from those who are supposed to love me. But, you hit a lot of nails on the head right there... glad you're feeling better, and you're workouts would prolly kick MY butt!
Almeeker - I miss ya buddy! I get so excited whenever you post.... I just love reading what you've got to say. I am SO super proud of you... size 12!? You're a ROCKSTAR. How tall are you though? I'm 5'5", so my goal of 150 is the top of my healthy range. You aiming for the middle of yours? You just seem so little!

Coffee cups UP!... so, I completely forgot to post my THURSDAY LOSS! Which, being that I am just back in the saddle, I will take anything! I lost 2 pounds, which puts me right in the middle of the 250's! I feel like it's a trick, lol... that I am really not there, the even stranger thing is that in 2-3 weeks, I could conceivably be in the 240's... craziness I tell ya! I am feeling better - I DID bump up my calories. I spoke to my doctor about it and he said to add the prescription salt back in - I am sweating out all my electrolytes - and up the calories with veggies and protein only (duh!)... why do doctors see a fat person and automatically assume they HAVE to tell them to lay off the Twinkies!? Dude, I probably eat better than you... whatev'... either way... I have found my Muchness! .
Good luck this "Weak"end you guys, I still depend on you more than anything you can imagine... oh, and I am walking in the Gay Pride Parade (and NOT as a float! ) tomorrow with my kids... so cool to have that opportunity. I did double Bootcamp this week - and I thought I was gonna DIE, but it was really nice at when it was done. Long and strong!
Old 06-18-2010, 04:44 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone.... ^
Christine what they said above l all great advice and those ladies are living proof it works! Look how far they have come...my pyramid is a site on the net... look up mypryamid.com....its like fitday but I find it quicker to use..and it shows you the calories you eat as you enter your food on a chart plus adds up your veggies, fruits, grains, dairy and protein as you enter food and lets you know when you reached your daily amount.

I have a maintain this week but Im ok with that...I just started walking again yesterday after my accident. Shoulder tweaked a little but it was good.
Felt good to walk again too..missed it.

Have a busy day here...pottery this afternoon and then a concert tonight...Colin James and Tom Cochrane!! cant wait..and its free! how cool is that.
Have a good weekend everyone.....lifting my coffee cup!!
Old 06-18-2010, 05:04 AM
FitDay Member

Skinny - Another 2 pounds - WOOHOO! And take some pics at the parade - I bet it will be fun!

Christine - I'm not nearly as hardcore as Skinny and Almeeker or some of the women on this thread. Not yet, anyway. I'm just now fitting healthy eating and exercise back into my lifestyle, so I'm taking it slow with small changes. I still eat carbs, but I just count calories and eat smaller portion sizes. I even make room for treats and chocolate, of course. But all within reason. For the first time in my dieting life, I'm not doing anything drastic, eliminating food groups, or keeping track of ratios (again, at least at this point). I'm just counting calories in vs. calories out. I may be losing a little slower doing this method, but I'm mainly focused on eating nutritous foods, fixing healthy meals for my family, and generally being an active person. I've always gone so "gung-ho" in the past, only to burn out, so I'm hoping that just making some fundamental changes in the way I eat and view food will help me live a lifestyle that I can maintain in the long term. Sorry for the long-winded answer, but all this to say that I really think you need to find what works best for you, and that may include some trial and error.

Patti - I'm so glad your shoulder is feeling better and that you were able to maintain your weight during that time!

Going into the weekend full speed ahead. I'm stopping at 2 farmer's markets today (we have summer hours on Fridays and get off at 1 p.m. - woohoo!) to get lots of veggies and fruits. Hubby is gone until Saturday night, and truth be told, I always do better when he's not around! For Father's Day we are going to Bass Pro Shops (his favorite store) so I will definitely order something healthy for lunch because dinner will be at the in-laws and is never healthy. Skinny, healthy vibes to you all over the weekend!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 AM
FitDay Member

Default Must vent

apologizing ahead of time for my post, but must vent somewhere and you are all so supportive. things were going well with the ex and I just starting to feel so comfortable and then he left- out of the blue, came home from work and he is gone - I don't know why I am doing so well on my diet and healthy lifestyle. even kept it up, we went bike riding together and it was so nice. I am just sabotoging myself when it comes to this relationship and can't seem to find my willpower to let go and move on. I tell myself I deserve better, but he makes it so easy to believe his lies. I did work outside last night to keep my sanity, but today has been really hard. thanks so much for listening and I know things will get better- when will my head feel that I deserve to be treated better. I know a lot of this is my insecurity and I run back to him because I guess I feel like I can't get someone else or am afraid to start over, but this vicious cycle is destroying me mentally and I have come to far to continue this. even now part of the pain is knowing I might still take him back. again, thanks so much for listening

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.