Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-07-2010, 12:04 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning, muscle mocha salute to everyone, feeling really achy and sort of sick this morning, but had a really fun weekend with the middle child's birthday party and all. Slumber parties are so exhausting.... It poured all night on Saturday so we didn't get to sleep in the camper, but the kids had fun and that's all that matters.

The shoulder is no better, but I have an actual appointment with a real doctor this afternoon, so maybe by dinner I will have a better idea of why I hurt so much and maybe a script for something that will help me get some sleep. The good news about the whole thing is that I'm more comfortable on my feet than sitting, so my pedometer is way up. I took my oldest on a long walk last night, we went almost 5 miles.

Calories over the weekend were completely off the charts, that's my first horrible binge weekend since we went to Chicago the first of April. But it happens, and since I've decided this is a "lifestyle" change rather than a "diet" I have to find ways to go off plan a little here and there and then jump right back on track the next minute. So I'm here bright and early Monday morning reporting for duty. The good news is that I'm a little sick this morning, my GI track was not happy over this weekend, so hopefully that will give me additional inspiration to stay on track in the future. I know it's crazy that a woman would be glad to have a bad case of the trots, but it's the silver lining or something.

Jay, glad to here the son is getting motivated, your such a good mom. You know on your calorie issues, why don't you just plan for a late night snack? Rather than eat all your calories during the day, make a plan for something late at night as well. Then you can have your medicinal binge and stay on track. I've done that for myself, well breakfast is my bigger hurdle, so I eat it twice, and it's part of the plan and it's all good. What is it that financial guy says? Something like "nobody plans to fail, they just fail to plan". So plan for it, and enjoy your guilt-free late night binge.

blackrhino, I here you on the calories, I always have trouble for a few days after I've gone off plan. I'm a carb-o-holic and I get the worst cravings after even just one meal of high carbs. So I'll probably be suffering all week, I'm just trying to keep myself really busy and off the food. I coming down off the carbs right this minute, I actually have the shakes from it, no lie.

Gotta go, kids are up and I need to stand or I'm going to start crying.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Patti - I'm sorry to hear about your fall, I hope you are feeling better today?

Jaynie - So, so, so happy about your son! I know that his issues have been weighing on you hard, so I'm so glad he's decided to join you on your journey as well. You really can keep each other motivated!

Almeeker - Shoulder issues abound! I hope you get some answers at your doctor appt. Keep us posted. And I think you have the right attitude about your unhealthy weekend. It's not like we're never going to binge again, never eat pizza/ice cream/cake/fast food (whatever the vice is) again, so we've got to learn to live with our choices, enjoy the short-lived slip-ups when they happen, and hop right back on the healthy bus at the next stop!

I also had a not-so-stellar weekend. I did fine at the graduation party on Friday night (only some fresh fruit salad and a few bites of a pork chop sandwich), but I had already had that milkshake earlier in the day and I got home from the party and had 3 Girl Scout cookies (I need to just throw them away!). Then on Saturday, we decided to take a drive to New Glarus, Wisconsin, which is a little Swiss town that has phenomenal food shops. My hubby was the enabler - he bought a small slice of apple pie for me, some coconut fudge, and my favorite....artisan cheese. Sharp white cheddar with cranberries. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Then we went home and roasted whole chickens over the brick oven spit he built in the backyard. I didn't eat any breakfast or lunch that day, but between all the high calorie snacks and dinner, Saturday was NOT a good calorie day. Then on Sunday I had an event for work and ate just OK there (ended up eating the dessert that came with the meal even after I said I wouldn't), but then had a salad (and more cheese, and more fudge) for dinner. Ugh.

So today I'm keeping calories low in hopes that my icky weekend won't show up as a gain on Thursday. I know I need to get in some exercise/activity to burn a few extra calories. Maybe DH and I can walk our lane tonight after the babe's asleep.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone
As long as I keep my shoulder still its ok..but I forget and move it..
Dh is being so good and helpful.
Tried to eat my way thru comfort this weekend but last night I wrote out a weeks menu and going to stick to it. I cant walk at the ymca its too painful still so I really have to be careful, I wont be burning any extra calories.

Egm that place sounds like so much fun!!! Ive done the same thing pick and pick and pick at treats till they are all gone..normally I would say throw it out but that sounds like something special... Im pretty sure treats like that can call your name...........maybe ask someone to help you eat it??

Almeeker you know carbs are my downfall as well..and yup it does take awhile to get that craving out of your system again. I hope you get some relief for your shoulder... 5 miles?? way to go!!!!!

Welcome stitchergirl and Blackrhino! Jump in any time and join us!!!

Jay meds making you hungry would be a hard problem to deal with...hope the dr can suggest soemthing else..youve been doing so well! You must be so proud of your son for joining you! It really helps to have support!!!

Ok thats it for today...Im off to rest my shoulder and put some heat to it! Take care everyone!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hi all! Stressful crazy week ahead: This is the last "partial" week of school for the kids, my oldest has 8th grade graduation Tuesday and I agreed to chaperone the dance from 10 to midnight. Then the last day of school for the youngest is Wednesday, I have a board meeting out of town on Thursday and oh yeah, it's playoffs week for the youngest's softball...games start tonight with single elimination. Is it bad of me to almost hope that they lose tonight so will be "done" with playoffs?

Aunt flo is uncharacteristically late by about 4 days, but not sure if it's having a teen in the house who hasn't settled in to a routine or if I'm starting through that part of menopause. The one thing I know for a fact is that I can’t be pregnant—thank Heavens!!! Regardless I feel icky, bloated and am retaining a good 5 pounds of fluid still. I have dh's horrid cold and feel like dog doo, with complications of my allergies on top of it all. Can I just go back to bed and get up in the fall now????

But I took a chance and hopped on the scale this morning and am down another pound! That was a great start to the week, especially considering that I didn’t track my food this weekend, and haven’t walked since Thursday cause I feel so awful.

It was a crazy, sick weekend, trying to get through this cold. I was looking for clothes in our horrible walk in closet which Dh has pretty much packed to the ceiling and it's such a disaster that I just removed ALL my clothes from it. Most are sizes that I can’t get into—yet—but some are probably going to fit now. I decided to wash (or dryclean) all of them, and—wait for it—the dryer element went out 2 loads into the project.

I’ve been preparing to replace my old (15+ years) washer and dryer anyway and have the set I want picked out. We’ve replaced the element numerous times, the motor once or twice on just the dryer, and have fixed the washer several times. But the problem is the set is just too small for all of us. And the dryer takes two cycles even with a new element, so I’ll be spending the big bucks on a set of Bosch font loaders today.

Sigh.

Tulmutuous, crazy week of change. At the end of it, I’ll have a high schooler and a middle schooler and it’ll be summer break for the kids, and I’ll have a washer and dryer that work. And on Friday I’ll turn 42—the meaning of the universe!!!!

Sorry for the book, just needed to get that all out of my system this morning I guess. Thanks for reading if you got this far!

I hope for a good, fulfilling week for all of you, that all of us sickies feel better, that everyone loses at least 1 pound and that we all feel energetic and happy!!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 04:23 AM
FitDay Member

Morning all! I too, had a somewhat pig oueekend. I think it was a last hoorah before my son and I begin out journey together. Thanks for all the great comments about that.

To all those that are sick or hurting or bloated, sorry to hear about that. I am rather dammed up myself, if you know what I mean.

On the medicinal eating. I do save for my late night oatmeal and warm milk in the late evening to help put me to sleep. There's a lot that has a bearing on this and that is that there is no clear deliniation between my day area and bedtime area due to the construction, I sleep in a recliner. The eating is mindless, more or less--almost like what has been reported about sleep meds. A definite change of meds is required. I have lost weight while on these meds, before, but the atmosphere was different and once I retired to my room, that was it. It might be something as simple as turning on the music or turning off the TV to create that environment; although, I have always fallen asleep in my bedroom with it on, my mind new it was time to go to sleep. I do not wish to take sleep meds to make me sleep through the whole nite and besides as previously mentioned they come with their own set of problems. My sis takes them and sometimes she gets up and eats, but she is still at the high end of normal weight or maybe about ten pounds or so over.

Anyway, I will work it out. Just have to recall how I solved the problem last time. I know this sounds bad, but when I was in the army, my first meal was dinner and then if I wanted to snack or whatever, I did. I only sometimes ate lunch in the messhall with my husband if he wanted to and I think that is how I lost weight was to eat very light during the day and save the bulk of my calories for evening. I know it goes against everything that is taught about not eating after a certain time and not eating a heavy dinner, but if I can't adjust normally, I may have to do that.

Been at MyPyramid.com and on there you can build your whole menue for a week without writing it out just FYI. They have a lot of usable tools on there and I think having someone tell me, exactly what I can eat, as they do by breaking down not only for the day but for the week--the five food groups--will be a help for me. Well I told you I often change up, so I am going to try this for the week I guess. My weigh-in date will be switching from Thursday to Monday.

Have a great and blessed day!
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

Evening everybody. Well my doc said I have an irritated rotater cuff, and he dosed it up with cortisone. Which instantaneously made the whole works feel much better, then the nurse told me that it also had mild pain killer in it and when that wore off I might actually feel worse for a couple of days. Ug. The absolute funniest thing was that he said to me "you need to lay off the weight lifting for a couple of weeks". And I was like "how do you know I lift weights?". And he smiles and said "women don't get the sort of muscle definition you have in your arms and shoulders without some pretty serious weight lifting". Okay, chalk up one for the doc, he knows his stuff after all. I also got a script for some pretty heavy duty muscle relaxants to take at night. I'm pretty excited about getting a decent night's sleep, hopefully I won't feel dopy in the morning. Well I gotta go and put the kids to bed and get my berries jammed up.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

Wow, that is super impressive that the doc is commenting on your muscle definition! Glad you have some meds to help relieve the pain--hope it stays away.

Congrats Montana on the 1 lb loss!! Progress feels so good! Maybe those high spirits will help fight that cold off.

I skipped the gym today because it was gorgeous out, and I took a 90 min walk instead. This is the first time, in about 9 days, that I can say that my food was pretty much in check the whole day and I'm only over by about 50 calories. I'm with all of you guys with the life-style mindset. I've got to be able to keep it up forever, so I don't want to be to get too down on myself even if I have a bunch of discouraging days.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

Well I just talked with my son and it is on, as they say. We are more going to be in competition with each other because that is his nature and I know when he puts his mind to it he can drop sixty in no time. He even is going to send a pix of his weight because he thought I wouldn't believe his first week loss when it comes. But I told him that because he is larger, I would expect that. I am not really a competitive person, so I know that I will be cooking the first low cal dinner of the winner's choice. I told hime I can't do that but so long and today I found that I had enough points on my card to get a gift certificate of $50 and I proposed for the third month that we put up anti. I'm no gambler either so I better make this work. We are going by percent of weight loss to make it fare. I never watched The Biggest Loser, but I did catch a few episodes of Dance Your A-- Off and the largest person still would win even if it was by percentage. Am going to need a lot of encouragement from you guys on this one.

Been spending an hour or so a day over at mypyramid.com and have my menus out to Wednesday. This makes it sooooooooooooo much easier for me. I find living alone, I just don't want to cook for myself and when I do try to lose weight it is the bland chicken breast wotj broccoli or something. I actually cooking this time and enjoying it. Tonight I cooked the French's canned onion breast and purposely left out the flour and used egg whites instead of eggs to dip and coat it in and those darned things just wouldn't stick no matter how much I pressed. And before that I used my bullet to crunch them up and it turned into one big gob that I had to rub between my fingers. I bet next time I will follow directions and crunch it in a bag, but once I forced it, it was good.

I am trying to make savory meals and do low cal replacements where I can. I am having Apple Juice Pork this week which should be interesting. I usually don't eat that much pork but it sounded good. I am going to replace the flour thickener with corn starch and make a few other adjustments. It said 473 for one, but I figure that was four ounces and I am going to eat three, so I think I will have it down to about three hundred when I am through.

On that site, it tells you exactly how much to eat for each food group according to how many cals you are eating a day and measures by servings, which I find easier to enter, and then it tallies the cals and no matter what you eat if it is healthful and you eat the proper amount and SIZE of serving, which I wasn't before, you come under. No fuss, no worry.

Well as usual, I have had a perfect day and now comes the dreaded night. I am going to fight it. I would like to see the scale move, it has been days.

Almeeker, I am so glad that it is not arthritis or something. At least this will mend but you have to take your doctor's advice very seriously. My sister had a torn rotator cuff and the surgery is no piece of cake.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Did Anyone Get the Plates on that Semi?

Ok, so... wow... it's been a CRAZY few days. I ended up in the hospital on Friday. Basically, I was having some major memory issues, cognition was bonkers, dizzy, pain all over my body, exhaustion and really blurry vision. I went to the ER and got a quick trip to the Ct Scan machine, a lot of blood draws, urinalysis (probably testing for shrooms or something)... I felt more checked out than a recalled Toyota.
So, basically it was a few things. First, I have a pretty bad middle ear infection and something called "Migraine Varients." So, Migraine Varients are nice, little physcial reactions to the head pain of Migraines. Usually people who get the varients don't get the headaches - so I never would have guessed that I was actually having a migraine.
I used to get migraines when I was a child. I have a skull fracture (thanks mom!) that never healed correctly, so the migraines just came with the territory. However, the hormonal changes I went through with my first pregnancy eliminated my migraines! Until now... docs say all the major hormonal changes I am going through with the weigh loss probably activated a varient of my previous migraines. I say, "quack, quack, quack... I can be a duck too!"
Eitherway, it's Tuesday and I am feeling better. Getting back into the workout grind. Afterall, it's only TWO days until Thursday. Missed you guys something awful. Oh, and my baby is officially a walker! *proud mama*
Old 06-08-2010, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Oh wow Skinny! I can't believe you're going through all that. I'll be thinking about you. The son of the lady that does my daycare also has migraine varients...his gets terrible stomachaches, vomiting, and constipation. I hope you recover and rest, and congrats on your little walker!

Jaynie - I'll have to check out mypyramid - sounds interesting. I am always looking for some new ways to incorporate veggies for my son and new recipes in general!

I'm having a mixed emotions day. I haven't eaten the greatest in the last week due to lots of work lunches, social events, and feeling ick in general (yeast infection and early PMSing - yuck!). But then I put on a pair of jeans and they were quite a bit looser, so I took a chance and went down to my basement to try on some smaller pants I had in storage. I was able to put on 3 pairs of pants I haven't worn since I was 10 weeks pregnant about 2 years ago! I was thrilled, and hopefully that will motivate me to stop this destructive eating pattern I've gotten into the last few days. Just a little further, and I may be able to wear some PRE-pregnancy pants!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.