Notices

Jump in and join us June 100 plus ladies

Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Erinn, sorry to hear about your medical woes, but it is great that you feel better and you have a walker in the house. Those times are so thrilling, but you are in for it really now in about six months when the "terribles" come around, but if you have other kids, then you know that.

Dobbs, that is great about the pants. I am waiting to fit in a few pair of pants that my sister sent me a couple years ago that she had bought when she ballooned because of having to take steroids. She went up to 238 and she is tall also; although, not as tall as me. I can get them up and if I really, really suck it in, can get it zipped but that's dangerous. I caught me in the zipper. Wasn't daunted though. I had a sweater that went with them and a scarf, obviously this was in chillier weather, and I used the old rubberband through the whole and around the button trick. Why anybody would buy those things that extend the waist, I don't know. I learned that when I was in the military and they had no pregnancy uniforms at that time.

I'm holding my own. The last two days haven't been quite as bad. Ate around 2000 cals when my quota is 1600. It is so hard for me to judge due to my disability exactly how much I should eat to lose because I put out so much energy just walking. I'm thinking that 2000 cals should be my daily because as a double amputee, I expend anywhere from 80 to 200% more cals just walking. I'm still in the figurin' zone, so bear with me.

I did find info on caloriecount.com, I think it is called, that said to ramp up my activity level to moderate even if I am basically lame due to it and the calories were more than I am trying to maintain. My pyramid suggested 2400 something. So, maybe this isn't all meds. In case you are wondering, I do have normal days and am not totally a couch potato as one would suspect with someone of my extreme physical disability.

My son is taking in 3000 and he loses weight with ramped up exercise even at his size and he asked if I was sure I could maintain at 1600. By the way, he lost a pound or so in a day. He sent me a cell pix of the scale. He does that to document his progress. I didn't get on the scale today because I,, frankly, was afraid to. I need dynamite. I ate prunes yesterday to no avail and hot fresh cooked prunes always worked. I take flaxseed oil in the morning which is another remedy that used to keep me regular. I know TMI. But since Thursday, come on! I'm going to have to break out the hard stuff this evening and I don't like using that, but I am miserable. Who'd a thunk that being so full of it would be so debilitating, lol.

Well anyway, those are my woes and wails. I think by writing this, it gave me time to come to the conclusion that 2000 cals is good for me. I just thought that was way too high since I am older and metabolism slows, but I eat about six times a day and all things are preplanned. Three are meals of about 350-400 and between it is fruit, yogurt, 8 wheat thins with one Happy Cow, which I love or something of that nature. The snacks total around 400 cals and that is how I was rounding out my 1600, but last night I had a mini meal of half a chicken breast and a half cup of left over candied sweet potatoes that I made by using imitation liquid butter--like extract--splenda and imitation liquit maple and boy is that good. I felt satiated after that and could go to sleep. I guess I have just been trying to starve my 6'1" self.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 AM
FitDay Member

Morning eveyone
slept on my shoulder last night and its very sore this morning..so Im not staying long. Sorry....I read though.
Jay I signed up for the mypyramid site and its great! In fact I cancelled my fitday premium ...that one is way more helpful and easier to use!! Thanks for the input....

off now to put some heat on...
will be back tomorrow ladies!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hey patti, did your doc give you any cortisone for that shoulder? Mine seems to be much improved after a dose of that stuff. I'm going to check out mypyramid too. The husband of a good friend of mine lost 90 pounds using that website. I just don't have a lot of time to do this, and she said he was on-line like 6-8 hours/day with it.

jay, you're 6'-1"? Holy smokes woman! What I wouldn't give to have a few of those inches, I've always said I have the curves of a much taller woman. I tell you what, if I ever need prosthetic legs then I'm gonna get something taller than what the good Lord gave me to start with that's for certain. A good buddy of mine has one short leg and one long one. She and I always joke that it's far better to have one short leg, than 2 short ones. It's pretty funny because when I want to have a face to face conversation I make her take her prosthetic shoe off so we're eye to eye, otherwise she's like 6-7 inches taller than me. On your back-up issues have you tried Miralax? My DH uses the stuff religiously. I don't, cause I tend to have the other issue, but he swears by it, 1/2 tsp every morning in his OJ, keeps him regular like clockwork. He never had a single problem until he went on heart meds. Another thing that works really well for him is dried apricots, and gallons of water.

Last edited by almeeker; 06-09-2010 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies! I'm new here (well..I've been lurking for a couple weeks), but I have finally started to see the scale move, so I thought it'd be a good time to become active in the "community" as well. I love reading about all of your successes and everything (even if I felt slightly stalkerish in the beginning, lol) and I'd love to be able to start adding some of my own.

A little about myself.. I'm 25, married, and we have one daughter about to turn two. I've been overweight my whole life and have always wanted to do something about it. The kicker was last month when my OBGYN told me I would probably have a very difficult time conceiving our next child due to my weight, which causes irregular periods and ovulation. DH and I are ready for another baby, so I had to get my butt in gear. I started counting calories and changing the way I eat two weeks ago. Last week, I bought an elliptical/cross trainer and have used it 5 out of the 6 days we've had it. I'm up to 30-35 minutes at a time, which I'm super proud of.

I didn't really see any change to the scale until yesterday morning, which just amped up my motivation. I feel good about what I've been doing to get healthier mentally..but physically I don't really feel much different, which is a little disappointing, but I'm sure that in as little as another month, I'll start to feel more energized and actually FEEL healthier...I hope.

Nice to meet you all!
Old 06-09-2010, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Jay,
Drinking/eating hot foods sometimes helps me go. Hot lentil soup might do the trick!

Ladybug, Congrats on joining the forum section. It helps me tremendously. Many minds together are better than me feeling alone. Also, I love the quote that you have with your signature.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 AM
FitDay Member

Well, still on the mend. Back is messed up but jumping back into the workout. I have 3 make-ups I am trying to get in within the next few weeks....double bootcamp.... kill me now.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Big big news here at my house!!!! The parts for the elliptical came yesterday and now it's working again. Whooo hooo hoooo!!!

You know the last week or so I've been flirting with limboing under the obese stick, but so far I haven't managed it. I'm starting to think I'm afraid of it somehow. What is up with that? I'm so stupid. Maybe now that I've confessed that little secret I can let it go and get on with the program here.

Welcome aboard ldybug, always glad to have new voices here.

Skinny, sorry to hear you're under the weather. I hate it when that happens. Argh!

Well I gotta go the little fishes are home. I still think swim club should practice for 2 hours, but what do I know?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:25 PM
FitDay Member

hey skinny, i hope you are feeling a bit better. sorry you had such a long past few days. good for you for being so hardcore about getting back on plan.

almeeker,
i think what you mention is a really common feeling. i've heard people talk about the same thing at WW meetings. Personally, whenever I get close to reaching my goal I binge and then gain a few pounds.

I first started doing WW about 5 yrs ago with my mom. I got down to like 118 and the WW lady told me I was too thin and needed to gain weight. I know she was just trying to look out for me, but she kept saying it and then they would like bring others over to talk to me. It was just a pain, and then I had my parents down my back and it just turned into me thinking I was insane. It made me way more self conscious and somewhat afraid of reaching goal. Very silly and stupid, I know...

Let's both get over it!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Big big news here at my house!!!! The parts for the elliptical came yesterday and now it's working again. Whooo hooo hoooo!!!

You know the last week or so I've been flirting with limboing under the obese stick, but so far I haven't managed it. I'm starting to think I'm afraid of it somehow. What is up with that? I'm so stupid. Maybe now that I've confessed that little secret I can let it go and get on with the program here.

Welcome aboard ldybug, always glad to have new voices here.

Skinny, sorry to hear you're under the weather. I hate it when that happens. Argh!

Well I gotta go the little fishes are home. I still think swim club should practice for 2 hours, but what do I know?
I'm in the same sitch, only from becoming Obese, instead of Extremely Obese. I just can't wait to be Obese! ROFLMAO. I think I am afraid too... what the heck happened deep inside me to think that I was somehow unsafe at being so big? I think that in order for someone to be as big as I was, something deep and critical had to have happened. I've taken a few stabs at it, before saying, "nah, that can't be it" and forgetting the entire process. I know it has to do with my mother. I know that's very Freudian, but's it's true. I was raised with great maternal tid bits such as, "I only had you because your dad wanted a baby of his own." and classics like, "I never should have been a mother, I just can't stand children." And the timeless, "You look like a man." at my wedding. Great times. Eh... I have a lot of work to do.

Great news on the elliptical!
Old 06-09-2010, 03:58 PM
FitDay Member

Hey Ladies! First of all let me say I am no longer full of it and am now again potty trained. Welcome, welcome to our new member. Don't worry, I think we all lurked at least a little bit, I know I did. This seemed like such a close knit group that I was afraid to jump in but once I did, I found a home among them.

About the shoulder, I can empathize with that. One time my shoulder arthritis flared up so badly that it hurt when I sat, stood, drove (and I use hand controls)--everything. And the stupid thing that I did was go to the VA and not wait the couple hours for my meds. Then I had to drive. I finally called my other son, that I haven't mentioned thus far, who used to be a pharmacist assistant and said, "Help!" His recommendation was ibuprophen and being the large person that I am, don't do this, I took four instead of two and the pain lessoned to a bare minimum. It was something to do with the inflammation and that taking care of it. He said that aspirin or tylenol was useless in that case. Now I have vicadin, which is what I left at the VA that day, to cure that ill immediately. I guess I could use it as a diet pill because I don't feel like doing anything after I take one of those. I'm just kidding.

And, yes I did make an adjustment when I had prosthetics this last time for my son's weddding. I have the type that can be adjusted up to three inches depending on the showe and it was the first time that I wore a dress in thirteen years at that time. I had them take me down from a size twelve to a, what I consider normal, size ten shoe. I did a power point of my firsts since I have been disabled for an assignment in my computer class last year and my teacher was more amazed at the size of my heels. I have been the same height since eighth grade and you know when I was growing up there weren't that many tall girls my age and I was second youngest in the class too. Anyway, it wasn't until I was about thirty that I grew into my height and began to enjoy walking into a room. You have to remember that I was a size eight-ten at that time. Do I miss them. I did, but after three years in a wheelchair feeling sorry for myself and not leaving the house, basically, for a couple, I am amazed by what God has done for me. I know we don't mention Him too much but I am in school now. I manage by myself. I have four pets I take care of and have my stinkin' garden. I swear I really suck at that. I started it so I would have something to do and now I don't have the time for it, nor the tenacity.

Let me see, how did I get on this. Oh, getting the longer legs. But wouldn't that look awkward with shorter arms. If I didn't mention it they wanted me to go shorter for balance but I have a six foot arm span. Now that would look weird.

What else was discussed, oh, being complacent or sabotaging ones self at a certain weight for various reasons. I think I briefly touched on that on my last one. To the new member, you have to do what is best for you as long as it is physically safe. I don't know how tall you are, nor your bone stucture. I will reiterate that the reason that my goal is so low for my height is to accout for the leg loss of thirty pounds and then my current legs weigh ten, so I need to adjust by twenty pounds. I am tall but I am a very small boned tall lady. My wrists are very small. My ring size to most people would not go with my height and especially my current weight. I still have long slender fingers. So anyway to bring this back on point, do it for you.

I think I mentioned everybody, if I didn't I am sorry. I may not be on here as much soon. I have got to start studying for school which starts at the end of August. I did well with the four courses I had to update after thirty years at the community school, but this is a bigger more impersonal school and I am a little rusty in my major of Mathematics. I just want to study calculus before I take it. I got an A in all my math courses, including that before, but I have forgotten that particular one and am taking it again. I also have trig and Spanish to bone up on. I took it in high school and college but I am trying to teach myself it. And believe it or not, I still have my college Spanish book.

Well ladies, I guess that is about it. I finally, finally go in to get my crooked foot fixed, which is good because it has affected both my knees and when I walk I have this urge to want to walk on my knees like they are feet. I know; you have to have a sense of the sensory of amputees. You see I can still feel my toes. When I work my muscles in my residual, my brain receives that I am moving specific toes, my ankle, whatever. It is different from phantom pains and it is not normally talked about but we actually sense three different feelings, phantom, old nerve endings and actual feelings in our residual. And one last thing, I am fortunate because I don't usually get phantom pain and there is little medications can do but what is worse is when I get an itch. Something as simple as that and you can't scratch it.

So, have a nice evening ladies. I'm off to the prosthetist tomorrow, which means another appt to get them re-covered. One good thing, when I lose weight and have to get new ones, I can get bigger legs. My daughter called these chicken legs. She didn't know she hurt my feelings. I thiught I was styling. I told them to make them bigger than my other ones, but they still look like they belong to someone who is about a size 12 or 14. I want legs shaped like Mo'niques, only slightly bigger because she is smaller than me now. I can get new legs yearly at the VA but I have been refusing because it is supposed to be another incentive for me to lose weight plus I like the comfortable fit of these.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.