Notices

Good news/bad news

Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default Good news/bad news

Well, the good news is that I have lost 6 more pounds since I have started trying to eat right and exercise. I weigh 150 now.

The bad news is that I got bit by the dog up the road bright and early this morning. . I just wanted to walk before it got too hot. Spent a few hours at urgent care waiting on a tetanus shot and a prescription for a strong antibiotic. Had to fill out a dog bite form. Hopefully when they contact the owner they'll be able to prove that the dog had it's rabies shot. I sooooooooo do NOT want to have to get a series of rabies shots.

But...I shall think about the positive. I lost 6 pounds!!!! Yippee!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2010, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Great job losing the weight! Sorry to hear about the dog bite. Feel better soon Keep up the momentum you've made for yourself on Fitday
Old 06-05-2010, 04:18 AM
FitDay Member

In a lot of places, that dog's owner is also liable for your medical bills, and sometimes you can insist on having the dog tested if it hasn't had a rabies vaccine. The dog would have to be put to sleep, but as someone who's had rabies shots, they are NOT fun....and I didn't have to have the post-exposure series, which is longer. Glad I had them done though, I've seen some scary things in the course of my job, and rabies is one thing I don't want to have to worry about. I hate people who don't control their animals .

<endsoapboxrant>
Old 06-05-2010, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

I had to get rabies shots and I don't remember them being that bad--so don't worry too much if you have to get them, but obvi it's better to not need them! Most importantly, take care of yourself!

Lizzy, I agree, people that don't take care or know how to control their animals should be held responsible for dog bites--altho I don't know what this situation was.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks guys

I am still tickled about the weight loss.

As for the dog bite. It's feeling ok. I'm keeping it clean and covered...and popping my antibiotics like the doctor said to do. It hurts to walk, so I figure I'm gonna take the weekend off.

Today I am still shocked that he bit me...especially when his owner was outside. I don't know her, but I don't blame her. She was trying desperately to make him stop. He just seemed to have a mind of his own. Guess he didn't like the color pink...or maybe he liked it too much.

I just don't know. I do know that I didn't do anything to provoke him. I wasn't in their yard. I didn't say anything to him. I just kept on walking up the road...even after he ran up behind me and bit the back of my leg...with the owner screaming at him to stop. I didn't even look at my leg until I got out of his sight. I was actually afraid to stop walking.

I just hope he has had his rabies shot.

We live out in the country and 99% of the dogs are not chained up. I honestly think that he is one that needs to be chained up though. Our neighbors at times take their grandkids for walks on our road. I shudder to think about what could happen. I think that I should probably warn them to be very careful.

Now, I'm gonna have to put my brain cells to use and think of another place that I can walk at....safe from dogs and cars.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!