Notices

Menopause aka MentalPause

Old 06-14-2015, 05:38 PM
FitDay Member

Question Menopause aka MentalPause

Is anyone else going through this phase?
If you are could you please post your tips and hints to stave off hot flashes, sleeplessness and mood changes...
I only ask because I feel like I'm going bonkers!

Thanks
Jenn
Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM
FitDay Member

Jenn, my poor body can't figure out what it wants to do! I freeze during the day and sweat at night. I have to take naps on some days and can't sleep some nights. I have food cravings followed by bouts of nausea. I take vitamins routinely and try to always eat nutritious foods. I'm not plagued by the severe mood swings my Mother had but some days are worse than others. Wish I could offer some words of wisdom but all I can say is I totally understand! Vicki

Last edited by rosabella2012; 06-18-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:27 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Vicki...
OMG! You just described every one of my symptoms.
I'm losing it I swear I am...
I slept until 11 AM - This is NOT like me...it's like a vicious circle.
Sleep late or nap...don't sleep at night..everything seems to compound everything else.
I rang my UK GP...he said I should take St. John's Wort and Primrose oil...
So I started...according to him it will take two weeks to start to see the improvement in mood and sleep etc..
If it works I'll let you know....at least it's not a prescription med or HRT which would cost a fortune!
Best
jenn
Old 06-19-2015, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Menopause

I can only say, It does get better. A bedside fan will help a lot, also, I found to be helpful, a white cotton tank top and a slip. This keeps me cooler as the cotton absorbs the sweat.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default hormone balancing for a calmer life and weight loss

I am 51 and had been having dreadful symptoms, however they have got much better after I did a clean up from the inside out. That word detox is so over used, but Its now my thing, and re setting my hormones has really given me my life back. I've steadied my weight and my energy levels.

I was so tired and exhausted I cried all the time, and lost my temper so much I was embarrassed. So I wrote about what I learnt and added to my education, I really, really wanted to share what I experienced.

I am not saying you have to do it my way, just saying it helped me.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-25-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: removed link
Old 07-27-2016, 02:55 AM
FitDay Member

I'm about four years into it. It has gotten a wee bit better. I tried Progesterone cream (compounded) for a while which helped - then didn't. I tried Estrovera pills which are a rhubarb extract which helped - then didn't. Then all the standbys - evening of primrose, sage, and anything else I read about. I still don't sleep well and have hot flashes from 3 am on which wakes me up. Today I've been up since 3:30 even though I took melatonin. I would just say keep trying things and maybe something will help. My flashes aren't as bad now. I can't tolerate summer weather anymore - I hate the sun on my skin or head. I pray for rain. Everything changes and changes in weight and body composition, etc. is just depressing. Best to you all.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, Everyone....new here (again) - first time post menopause. I am going to try some Estrogen therapy of some kind. I'm 62 - have been going through this for YEARS now...no hormone therapy ever...but I can't take it anymore. I remember the first time it happened. I was in a meeting with the city counsel!!! ---- ugh...all of a sudden - for the first time in my LIFE (I never sweated much at all before) sweat just started pouring off of me. I was in shock and so embarrassed....now I'm used to grabbing for a napkin or a towel when I'm at home because tissues just don't cut it! Ugh. so....I've been doing a cleanse to kickstart my diet and it hasn't made the sweating less, but I know losing weight is going to help - on many levels. I also have extreme carpal tunnel, which also is alleviated by weight loss...so...I'm hopeful and optimistic that at LEAST things will get better if I lose the weight I need to - about 18 lbs now. (lost 6 already). Hope all are feeling better.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I'm 55, still having some periods although never know when, hot flashes mostly only when I drink too much alcohol, still moody with period swings. I battled insomnia for years, long before menopause, and won that battle by changing and creating a few habits.

About a year ago I was having more "warm" flashes at night. I'm hot natured anyway, hardly ever cold unless I'm having fever and chills, but I had more and more trouble being too hot at night. At the advice of an acquaintance I started taking vitamin e. She said she took a 400 i.u. twice a day but I have only taken 1 400 i.u. a day, and I often miss days. I have a ceiling fan over the bed, but even without one, I may sometimes be a little warm at night, but zero actual hot flashes unless I drink alcohol close to bedtime.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:53 AM
FitDay Member

OK, here's a few things I did to help with insomnia. It's not something that started for me with menopause; has been a life-long challenge.

1. No alcohol close to bedtime. It might make going to sleep easier, but I ALWAYS wake up hot in the middle of the night and then cannot get back to sleep easily.

2. Exercise EVERY day. Even if it's a day off, like today, I will take a very long walk after work, minimum 4 miles.

3. No TV in the bedroom. No electronics in bed except a small tablet to read novels if I can't get to sleep, with the screen on a light setting that is not alertness inducing. Most readers have some color settings for this.

4. I take a very short shower (not hot, lukewarm or cool) every evening sometime before bedtime. It sort of trains your body to understand that the sleep cycle is coming. Some people prefer a bath. I try to conserve water so just a short shower for me.

5. No naps during the day unless I'm ill or wiped out by some situation like moving, or a dance or long hike weekend, some strenuous physical activity outside the norm.

When my insomnia was at its worst, I started taking one benedryl to make myself get in the habit of staying asleep for more hours, and it sometimes worked well enough that I didn't need to take it every day. It will make you gain weight though and some other recent studies show mental issues with long-term use. I don't take it anymore.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Hormones. Why suffer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.