Notices

It's 2:00, and I am hungry!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default It's 2:00, and I am hungry!

Okay, my first day at Fitday. I have been really good today.

I had a good walk this morning. Then had a breakfast of 1 whole egg, 1 egg white, and a banana.

Had a Sub sandwich for lunch.

Had nuts for a snack at 1:30

Drank more water today than I want to admit, trying to curve my appetite ... it is not working.

Why am I so hungry? I really want this to work!
Old 06-03-2010, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

I would say, eat something, just make a good choice. An apple with some cheese, or a little peanut butter. A complex carb and a protien. At least that is what works with me.

Hot tea and gum also get me through when I just feel "munchy" which is not the same as hungry.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:44 AM
FitDay Member

You are probably hungry because yesterday you had a lot more carbs and now you are in detox? I don't know about anyone else, but personally I went through about 6 weeks of nearly constant hunger before it leveled off a little. Now it's easier, but truthfully when I fall off the wagon I'm right back in constant hunger land for at least 3 days.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

My guess is that you are hungry because it's your first day. I read somewhere (don't have the reference handy, sorry) that your stomach does stretch and shrink over time; if you were previously in a state of feeling full and satisfied most of the time as a result of eating more food, regardless of what its content was, it is now having to get used to feeling partially empty. The hunger pangs subside over time, and that is thought to be a result of the stomach shrinking.

Dunno if science supports it, but it makes sense. It also seems to be pretty consistent with my own experience. Some days I eat a lot and feel really full; the next day you would think I would wake up and still have "leftover full," but I'm actually growling.

Congrats on the good day so far!
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to all of you! I ended up drinking some Grapefruit juice and felt a lot better.

I tend to eat too much in the afternoons. Need to find something to "do" during this time to help me forget that I am hungry.

Really want to make good choices and live a healthier lifestyle.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

One thing I do when I want to eat is to go online or go to my books and research healthy foods and fitness topics. Sounds kind of geeky, but it gets my mind back on the healthy lifestyle and takes away the urge to eat.

If it works for your schedule that you can get out of the house and take a walk or get involved in some other exercise, that would be even better. Evenings and nights are my danger zones, but if I exercise then, I am so much better off.