Notices

18 and obese.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default 18 and obese.

I’m looking forward at a journey that seems impossible. I start that journey today.

I weigh 166 lbs which is obese for my petite 4’11 frame. For my height a healthy weight range is between 91-128 lbs. Since I am naturally curvy I have set my goal for 115 lbs. I am 18 years old, and ashamed that I have neglected my body so early on in my life. I expect so much for it, and don’t give it anything in return. I am determined and motivated to become healthy again. It would have been so much easier to control myself, then what it’s going to take to get back on track. I am fully taking responsibility for my flaws and working hard to achieve my goals.

Some on the things I have to work on are creating a routine, with my eating habits and exercising. Controlling how much I consume, resisting temptations such as fast foods and junk food. Cutting out the late night eating, which results in late nights in general. Making a regular exercise plan, and healthy diet plan.

I do find when I work out I put on muscle weight, which I am trying to avoid so if you have any advice I would very much appreciate it. Or any advice would be welcomed, from high energy foods with low carbs to a decent sports bra brand!

I want to thank you for reading, and if you post another thank you in advance. I find it 100 times easier with people behind be then going in alone.

I’m Amber btw, with 51 lbs to lose.
Wish my luck
Old 05-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Amber, welcome to FitDay. You sound like a very wise young woman. I wish I had the foresight at 19 to wise up and make a commitment to taking care of myself. I don't know that I ever cracked the "obese" range (that's a relatively new invention, though) but I was always too heavy by about 20 pounds. You are smart to want to change early. I can't tell you it's easy, but it's easier, and it will get easier still as you move along your journey. It is absolutely not impossible and you have the strength to do this. Take it one step at a time and ask for help if you need it.

I actually started a sports bra thread a couple days ago and got fantastic answers in the posts. It's (obviously) in the Women's Only section.

It is defnitely easier to do it with people behind you. For me, it was the difference between success and just another time trying. You will certainly get that here, as well as a lot of advice, which is yours to take or leave.

You will make it and it won't have anything to do with luck, but good luck anyway .
Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Welcome Amber,

As they say... every journey starts with the first step. And you have clearly started the journey. One of the things that helps me when I need to change old habits is to start with 1 or 2 "problem areas" at a time. Trying to tackle them all simultaneously is just too overwhelming for me.

As I read through so many posts here it seems like the one thing so many women wish they had done at your age was to get in the habit of exercising. This doesn't necessarily mean hours at the gym, but it could mean walking to do your errands rather than driving a car (rather European, actually). Or getting the habit of going for a walk after dinner. The key is to find something you will enjoy. If you are athletic great! If not, you can still find fun stuff to do. Like yoga, which can be both a super physical workout (depending on the style) and wonderful emotional release.

For me, and many others, getting active and in touch with how my body feels and responds really, really helps guide my eating habits. When I feel all sloppy and lazy, I tend to eat all sloppy and lazy. When I feel in control and I am mindful of environment, I tend to eat with control and mindfulness.

Second suggestion: stay positive!

As CJ says, success has little to do with luck, but good luck anyway,

Pam
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by thomasamber
I’m looking forward at a journey that seems impossible. I start that journey today.

I weigh 166 lbs which is obese for my petite 4’11 frame. For my height a healthy weight range is between 91-128 lbs. Since I am naturally curvy I have set my goal for 115 lbs. I am 18 years old, and ashamed that I have neglected my body so early on in my life. I expect so much for it, and don’t give it anything in return. I am determined and motivated to become healthy again. It would have been so much easier to control myself, then what it’s going to take to get back on track. I am fully taking responsibility for my flaws and working hard to achieve my goals.

Some on the things I have to work on are creating a routine, with my eating habits and exercising. Controlling how much I consume, resisting temptations such as fast foods and junk food. Cutting out the late night eating, which results in late nights in general. Making a regular exercise plan, and healthy diet plan.

I do find when I work out I put on muscle weight, which I am trying to avoid so if you have any advice I would very much appreciate it. Or any advice would be welcomed, from high energy foods with low carbs to a decent sports bra brand!

I want to thank you for reading, and if you post another thank you in advance. I find it 100 times easier with people behind be then going in alone.

I’m Amber btw, with 51 lbs to lose.
Wish my luck
Awww sweetie, congrats on taking the important first step! I was obese my entire life, and I am fighting now as I am getting ready to turn 30. It's never too late, and get ready... because with a little hard work, your body is going to show you some amazing things!
Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Oh Amber, I'm very proud of you...simply for being on this site and announcing that you have a goal! What an important step to take! Your post touched me, as my step-son is 4'11" and weighs 170 pounds now. He is 10 years old. It saddens me so much to see him get bigger and bigger, and my husband and I are doing our best to set a good example for him by losing weight ourselves and eating healthier and getting a lot more exercise. But we only have him every other weekend. Four days a month is certainly not enough to change someone's life. Could you tell me if you have strugged with your weight all your life, or only as a teen? I want to help him in ways that will encourage him, not backfire on all of us.

I wish you so much luck, Amber! It definitely sounds like you have the determination that it takes! When I was much younger I would do the Susan Powter workout videos. The best thing I took away from that time was Susan's advice that, "The motivation is in the doing." This is SO true. You won't always FEEL like exercising, but go ahead and force yourself to do it for a few days, and see how much better you start to feel! Once you see that first 5 pounds or so come off, it gets so exciting, and it gets easier to not overeat on unhealthy foods because you simply don't want to backslide--you'll be too excited to see what the next weigh-in brings if you keep working hard!

Most recently, I'm doing Leslie Sansone's walk-at-home program. I don't like working out in front of people, it's just this thing I've always had. But I LOVE doing her power walks in my very own living room! They really are a good workout, yet they don't feel difficult. Especially if you start with her 1-mile walk, it's very easy. And very soon you feel ready to move on to the 2-mile walk.

As far as adding muscle, this unfortunately WILL most likely happen, but it's really a GOOD thing, Amber! Lean muscle mass will help you burn even more calories! I would suggest getting yourself on an exercise schedule that works well for your daily plans, and then giving it maybe a good 2 weeks. It will be hard because you'll want to see fast results, but if you give it that 2 weeks and EXPECT not to see a weight loss in those couple of weeks, that should give it just about enough time that you're done with the initial muscle gain, and then the calories will really start to fly off. Consistency is the key! Don't give up, just stick with it and you WILL start to see results!

Also, I've discovered the SmartOnes frozen meals by Weight Watchers. I'm NOT a big WW advocate at all, but wow those meals are good! I bring one to lunch every day. Watching your portions is going to be one of the most important thing you can do. You can still eat most of your favorite foods, just not quite so much of it, or maybe not so often.

OK I guess I've gone on long enough for now, but I'm very excited for you and I truly hope you do well! Right now, at your age, is a very good time for you to regain your health!
Old 06-02-2010, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hello! I'd like to say that I'm in a similar place. I've been back and forth between "Over-Weight" and "Obese" my entire life and I've finally reached the point where I just can't keep living like this. Especially, if I want to be able to plan a future that goes beyond the age of 50!

MOTIVATION & INFORMATION
I highly highly highly, (as in always and to everyone I ever meet recommend "Muscle & Fitness: Hers" It is a magazine run by and aimed at women of all ages who are either interested in getting ripped, or just in toning up. It's so nice to have a magazine that talks about ways to deal with stress, as well as new recipes for 'clean' eating, and even exercises to help you jazz up your workouts! I found them at my local grocery store, but you can also view almost all of their material on the internet @ Muscle and Fitness Hers home

Two more reasons to check them out: Muscle burns more calories while resting than fat does AND Women who weightlift are much less likely to suffer from osteoporosis!

Now then, to get off that soap box and move onto another. One thing that has worked well for me in bettering my lifestyle is to only cut one unhealthy thing out at a time. I first gave up all carbonated beverages. Now I'm working on sticking to a plan that I like to call "Starbucks Saturdays" as well as maintaining the limit that I already set about carbonation. I find that settling these little goals helps me to make the change between this all being just another unsuccessful diet, and me finally bettering my lifestyle for good!

Keep on truckin', gurl-friend!
Old 06-05-2010, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

I am so moved that I have recieved so much support. Thank you all for all your kind comments, advice and for sharing your own personal stories. I am sad to report to you that the first two weeks did not go as planned. I just started my third week, and am pulling hard to stay motivated. I'm on day 2 of this week and have not cheated once, and have done my full workout both days.

My story of being a failure.
When I started this weight loss mission, I weighed 166 lbs with a goal to lose 51 lbs. I tried hard to limit what I ate but had my binges and managed to gain 4 lbs! I was shoked, 170 being my peak weight. You know something though? I don't regret that extra 4 lbs, because it really gave me that boost I needed.

I'm glad to report to you that I am back on track! Pactice makes perfect right?

Until next time,
Amber.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default You are among many compandres: you are not a failure - just human

Hi Amber,
You are discovering the double edged sword of weight control. Sometimes we think so much about what we are suppose to eat and not supposed to eat, that we become so obsessed with food and our goal, that we cause ourselves to eat even more! It is bizaar, but pretty darned normal. But it is not inevitable.

There are ways to plan your food and your daily activity and then just go about your day without having food be your whole focus. Without getting too new-agey on you, one way is to get up in the morning, clearly state your intent for the day such as "I'm going to have oatmeal for breakfast, a banana for a snack, a tuna sandwich for lunch.... and I will walk to work and go to yoga class this evening" And then let it go. As they say: Let the Universe handle the details.

You need to stay focused on your goals, and the means to reach your goals, but not necessarily each and every step to get there.

Welcome back, my dear. And by the way keep coming back, how ever many times it takes. None of us were fully successful the first time, I promise you
Old 06-07-2010, 02:16 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Inspiring

I am new to fitday and it's nice to see all of the support that people are giving to Amber. I am also looking to lose a lot of weight. 55 pounds. It sounds like a big number but like a lot of these ladies have said. It's possible! I wish you luck and I will look to inspiration from all of you while I start this new journey.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Planetacid, you will do it one day at a time, just like the rest of us. Whether it is one pound or one hundred, take it bit by bit and you will reach your goals. Ask for help when you need it and make yourself a priority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.