Notices

Day One

Old 05-19-2010, 09:20 AM
FitDay Member

Question Day One

Why is it so hard getting started, and why does HUNGER creep in and steel all my progress away? This is the most frustrating for me. I've just begun to realize I'm not a public exerciser- and would rather SWEAT and LIFT at home. The problem is... I like my serenity so much-- I'm having a hard time getting started. The hard part really is breaking down this negative pattern I've created for myself and making change. I'm interested in hearing how some of you are doing after DAY 1-- a little inspiration is needed here.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Mego\'s...welcome to FitDay.

I guess the best thing I can tell you is that it DOES get easier. However, it takes a few weeks to replace old habits with new and healthier ones. You might want to try journaling to see if it is really physical hunger or if you just think you want to eat for other reasons (time of day, emotions, boredom, etc.). Fairly soon, your stomach will be more used to the feeling of being neutral as opposed to full, and then you won't notice feeling hungry as much. The beginning is definitely the worst part! Be gentle with yourself but also honest with yourself; you didn't get to however much you weigh overnight and it won't come off overnight, either. Take your time, make small changes one by one, and you WILL be successful. Keep your eyes on the prize !
Old 05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

In terms of getting started doing more exercise I think it's pretty key to find something that you enjoy or to find something you can feel mildly obsessive about. If the gym and the peace and serenity of home don't work for you, maybe you need to go roller skating or challenge the neighbor kids to a hula hoop or jump rope contest. Or maybe you need to pull out your old bike and find some new trails to pedal. How about a new workout DVD or a Zumba class? Or maybe you need to put on your headphones and shake your booty to the groove while you clean the house top to bottom. You just gotta get moving, and for a while you have to force it, but sooner or later you get compelled to keep it up.

Oh and that HUNGER business is probably your body coming down off the carb high you've been living on. It's awful, but you just have to wait it out. Drink your water and fill up on proteins and in a few weeks you'll notice that it's still bad some days, just not as bad.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:49 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Mego\'s, I took it very slow. I had about 20 lb to lose, but chose to work on getting fit first. I went to a personal trainer, because I also had trouble getting out to exercise and I have 2 young kids so exercising at home is impossible. That way I had an appointment to get to and someone to hold me accountable. A class with people in the same situation might do the same thing. It took me 6 weeks to go from being able to get through a 20 minute workout (almost passing out), to get to an hour workout barely able to walk, but feeling ok. Now, 5 months later, I love my workouts and can't go without. I also do my workouts on my own, no more trainer.

6 weeks in, I didn't see any weight loss results so I decided to join fit day. I logged the food I ate for 3 days and I got a real eye opener. No wonder I wasn't losing, I ate crappy food and way more than I should be. So that day I decided I would eat 500 calories below my baseline and get rid of the sugar and fatty snacks. I was hungry for a few weeks, but now I can't eat as much as I used to and I feel a lot better. I'm almost at my goal weight, and it has been a long hard road but it is well worth it!

For me it was a mental game that I still play with myself and I imagine I always will. I only exercise at the gym at work now, unless there is yard work to do at home. I love my time with my family too much to waste time exercising on my own. Anyway, I hope my story lets you know that you are not alone and gives you some ideas, no matter the amount of weight you have to lose.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your responses... They were very helpful- It looks like I just need to get past the two week mark- detox off of carb's, count my portions with tracker, make time to work out- and be there, and wait till I feel better. Managing my portions is next on my list- because I didn't get this way over night...
Old 05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
FitDay Member

Adopting a new attitude like taking baby steps and things a day at a time has really helped me. Please don't beat yourself up if one day you happen to fall off the wagon. Celebrate the little things like inches you lose. I was delighted when one day I realized that I needed to move a hole in my belt buckle. You might have a day or two when you feel like the weight isn't coming off soon enough but don't get discouraged we all have gone through it. Don't let this dictate the rest of your life. Realize that you are worth being healthier. Good luck on your journey and I hope to see you lurking around the forums.

__________________________________________________ ______________
I'm like a tortoise one day I'll finish the race!

Starting weight: 215lbs
Current weight: 199lbs
Goal weight: 175lbs (1st goal)