FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Weekend challenge (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1067-weekend-challenge.html)

pattialbert 05-13-2010 03:09 AM

Weekend challenge

this is for anyone who struggles on the weekend...you may be good all week with food or exercise..but come the weekend and all that good work goes out the window!!! So , the ladies of the 100 plus group are up for a challenge this weekend to keep ON PLAN....everyone is welcome to join us! Feel free to post your goals for the weekend...your plan.....your successes or even your struggles! We are all here for the same reason..so lets see if we can stick together and JUST DO IT!!

pattialbert 05-13-2010 03:11 AM

My goal is to keep track of what i eat...keep under 1500 calories and get in 1 extra walk..Im going out for lunch tomorrow as well and I WILL track what I eat honestly.

montanacricket 05-13-2010 03:23 AM

Seeing as I'll be running an outdoor classroom with over 125 sixth graders tomorrow, I have to be careful what I pack in my lunch. It'll be an almond butter sandwich on whole wheat, some greek yogurt with a dab of honey, and an apple most likely.

Over the weekend, I have a BUNCH of yardwork to get done and it's suppose to be nice, so exercise won't be a worry. Food will though. My goal is to keep my calories under 1500 unless I spend most of both days out working hard in the yard, then I'd like to keep them under 1700.

And I vow to only have 2 small glasses of wine.

egmdobbs 05-13-2010 03:34 AM

Tomorrow (Friday) will be my biggest challenge because we have a team meeting at work, which usually means lots of food. So I will save up some calories for that and hope that it's Subway for lunch. I think DH and I might get out in the canoe for a little while this weekend if it's nice. Other than that, I'll probably be trapped in the house helping my little guy get over his ear infection. So my goal will be to avoid overeating just because I am home and bored! I will log everything here and try to get alot of housework in to keep busy.

blackrhino2 05-13-2010 03:39 AM

this is great. i need to focus on my weekends!

i vow to:
-not go over 1700 calories on one of the days, and on the other day not go over 1500
-only have one drink on friday and no more than two drinks on saturday
-get some form of exercise in each day (walking, dancing, biking or yoga)
-have fish atleast once this weekend
-to try and choose to eat veggies instead of cheese

adams1390 05-13-2010 04:00 AM

Hey Ladies!
I'm fairly new and this is my first week with the program. I'm visitng my grandmother this weekend who loves to bake breads and sweets. I'm going to limit myself to one treat a day and choose fresh veggies instead of a second or third treat. I'll try to keep up my daily jog and cardio while I'm away.
Good luck ladies! We can do it!

mambogirl81 05-13-2010 04:59 AM

I figured it would do me good to chime in on this thread so you girls can help me be accountable. When I joined Fitday in Feb. I had hoped to be down 15 lbs for an event I have this Sat. I am down ten which I am happy about,(ok, I would be happier if it were 15:D)but I have had a mental list going all week of the foods I haven't eaten in a few months that I want to dive into right after the event this weekend. I am not the kind that can eat a little of something and not eat the whole bag normally, so I had to really limit my diet over the past few months or wouldn't even have lost what I have. That said, I have an addiction to peanut M&M's. I have not had any since January. I am planning on getting a small bag and eating the whole thing and then moving on. Hopefully if I check back in on Monday I will not have eaten a large bag, and then consumed everything else in my path which I am prone to do!

Stay strong this weekend ladies. We can do it!

fletch8502 05-13-2010 05:18 AM

Love this idea! I'm going to...

- Drink 8-10 glasses of water each day!
- Take Friday off from the gym (I've worked out 13 of the past 14 days and my legs are soooore!)
- Go to the gym on Saturday (warm-up, work out with trainer, and run)
- Go to the gym on Sunday (warm-up, hill climb, and abs)
- Make good choices when I go out to dinner on Saturday =)
- Stay at/near 1,200 calories all 3 days

I feel inspired after reading all of your lists and making my own! Thanks for starting a great thread.

JulieTM 05-13-2010 08:16 AM

This is a great thread! The weekends are definitely the toughest for me. I'm really going to try and stay strong this time!

almeeker 05-13-2010 09:23 AM

I vow for my own health and welfare, this weekend I will:

1. Weed, mulch and Preen at least 2 more flower beds (I have 5 left)
2. Get my veggie garden started
3. Limit my calories to 1,600 or less each day
4. Drink all my water before I drink a sip of Diet Coke
5. Hit the gym on Saturday for at least 75 min (800 cal burn minimum)
6. Go for a 30 min run on Sunday (or 60min elliptical if it's raining)
7. Give honey a little sugar... (hey, that burns calories too, especially if you give it "vigorous effort").

blackrhino2 05-13-2010 09:31 AM

haha. i love it almeeker! you are very witty :)

almeeker 05-13-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 10795)
haha. i love it almeeker! you are very witty :)

And here I am being dead serious and honest, geez.

pattialbert 05-13-2010 02:13 PM

haha....I did say we could post anything here...;)

SkinnyErinn 05-14-2010 12:17 AM

This weekend I vow to:

1. Hit the gym on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for 1 hour of cardio each day.
2. Drink all of my water before 4PM.
3. Eat more of my protein and veggies throughout the day rather than having a larger dinner.
4. Stay around 1200 calories.
5. Not scrutinize my body too harshly in the mirror - when I find myself thinking negative thoughts about this amazing machine that is working for ME and as grown TWO HUMANS, I will say outloud, "I love my body." Even if I am in the supermarket and the aisle is quickly vacated. :eek:

Good luck this weekend!

SkinnyErinn 05-14-2010 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10796)
And here I am being dead serious and honest, geez.

I just love you! I was informed that I *will* be giving a little sugar sugar this weekend - how many calories do you think I can count for a weekend of "avoiding" sugar? Even vigorous effort? It takes some creativity to dream up excuses! ROFLMAO

almeeker 05-14-2010 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10838)
I just love you! I was informed that I *will* be giving a little sugar sugar this weekend - how many calories do you think I can count for a weekend of "avoiding" sugar? Even vigorous effort? It takes some creativity to dream up excuses! ROFLMAO

I love you too baby. Well you could expend a lot of effort avoiding or you can have a quickie and get it over with. I think it's possible to burn more calories "avoiding" than in "giving", it just depends on your creativity. Now having said that, my DH would never be stupid enough to say "you will be giving some sugar", he knows all too well that would backfire in his face. But you can't fault the attraction or the demand, after all you're quite the hotty nowadays, and it's only going to get worse from here on down the scale.

I have a really good friend, she and her hubby are always at odds over the bedroom, he says "let's" and she says "not tonight dear you disgust me". I sometimes don't know if those two will make it long term. She doesn't really get our happy household at all. Anyway she pins me down one day and asks how I can be the least bit interested in "that" after 12 years of marriage and 3 kids. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "well, sometimes "that" is a lot like dirty laundry, he can opt do it himself, he can pay someone else to do it for him, or he can lie back and rejoice in the woman he married". Compared to all the other things I do around here to keep things running smoothly, "that" is one of the easier and more pleasant tasks. It's all a matter of perspective.

SkinnyErinn 05-14-2010 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10866)
I love you too baby. Well you could expend a lot of effort avoiding or you can have a quickie and get it over with. I think it's possible to burn more calories "avoiding" than in "giving", it just depends on your creativity. Now having said that, my DH would never be stupid enough to say "you will be giving some sugar", he knows all too well that would backfire in his face. But you can't fault the attraction or the demand, after all you're quite the hotty nowadays, and it's only going to get worse from here on down the scale.

I have a really good friend, she and her hubby are always at odds over the bedroom, he says "let's" and she says "not tonight dear you disgust me". I sometimes don't know if those two will make it long term. She doesn't really get our happy household at all. Anyway she pins me down one day and asks how I can be the least bit interested in "that" after 12 years of marriage and 3 kids. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "well, sometimes "that" is a lot like dirty laundry, he can opt do it himself, he can pay someone else to do it for him, or he can lie back and rejoice in the woman he married". Compared to all the other things I do around here to keep things running smoothly, "that" is one of the easier and more pleasant tasks. It's all a matter of perspective.

This is one of the greatest things I have ever read. You are right up there
with Maya Angelou, Buddha and Doctor Ruth! Awesome... I think I'll vow for the quickie.... lol. I fear I am more in the "not now you disgust me category."

almeeker 05-14-2010 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10884)
This is one of the greatest things I have ever read. You are right up there
with Maya Angelou, Buddha and Doctor Ruth! Awesome... I think I'll vow for the quickie.... lol. I fear I am more in the "not now you disgust me category."

You are not the first to put me in with Dr. Ruth... I will admit to being very flattered by the Maya Angelou comparison, love her, she's one of my faves. I'm less up to speed on Buddha, but we used to have that same belly in common... Enjoy your quickie.

pattialbert 05-14-2010 02:11 PM

Ok got off to a rocky start today....skipped breakfast due to running out of time...ended up eating some baked cheezies this afternoon which wasnt on the plan..but got back on plan for supper! Heres to a better tomorrow!!!

dbyaya17 05-14-2010 02:21 PM

Hi,I want to count my calories and stay under 1200 cal. Take a long walk,both days.

Twinnermommy 05-14-2010 02:38 PM

Great thread! I am planning a birthday party, so it will take effort not to snack as I am cooking cakes and then at the party itself. So I will stay under 1800 calories both Saturday and Sunday, and work out for 60 minutes tommorrow and take Sunday off. That is still stretching it, I could do better, but I'm just beginning so -- baby steps.

SkinnyErinn 05-14-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by pattialbert (Post 10888)
Ok got off to a rocky start today....skipped breakfast due to running out of time...ended up eating some baked cheezies this afternoon which wasnt on the plan..but got back on plan for supper! Heres to a better tomorrow!!!

Congrats on pulling it together! I always fear that if I give myself a little give, that I won't know where to stop... good job!

almeeker 05-15-2010 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by pattialbert (Post 10888)

Are we counting Friday too? Uh oh, yesterday I went over cals, but not by too much, drank lots and lots of water and took the kids swimming, so still down a pound this morning. I have one more soccer game to attend then it's off to the gym, and then the flower beds. I should have added "clean whole house" to my list! What a pit!!! But I suppose it could be argued that housework doesn't burn that many calories, and it's not usually healthy with all the dust and chemicals. Right? Still if 911 is summoned they will have to bring the jaws of life and a front end loader to find us.

traceymc1985 05-15-2010 08:39 AM

Oh im feeling quite disappointed in myself. I knew that id struggle on the weekend and ive got to work much harder with the willpower and tonight i made some bad choices. I did really well up til about 8 o clock. I went to the cupboard knowing that id take a biscuit and i did. Ate that got the taste for chocolate and had 2 more!!! Now i know this doesnt seem like much but i really did good through the week not to evening snack and i was very proud of myself that for 4 days i didnt go near the cupboards and snack on rubbish late at night.
The problem is through the week the kids are upstairs at 7pm so as long as my cleaning and uniforms are ready i started to go up to my room-that way im not downstairs. This has been working perfectly but it would be unfair on a weekend to put the kids to bed early and miss the weekend tv they enjoy watching so because i was sat downstairs i was up and down into the kitchen!
We had our main meal at about 3:30pm. Maybe early but i didnt want to snack all day and have it later so i made it for when we were all hungry. Well the kids got a sandwich at about 7pm for supper and because my daughter was tired and a little unwell she left hers and i ate it!!!! Okay it was a small breadcake with a bit of cheese and chicken but im mad with myself cos i dint need it.
Im trying not to lose the motivation i found through the week just because of tonights stupid snacking.
Im going to try and do extra good tomorrow and because kids at school monday i wont need to downstairs past their bedtime.
Hopefully one day in a week wont undo my good efforts from mon-fri! I need to find a balance that works on saturdays when we are in all day.

pattialbert 05-15-2010 11:22 AM

Tracy how about finding something you can snack on in situations like that...if you like biscuits, there are some low cal ones out there you can have...do you have 100 calorie items in England?? I would be starved at night if I ate at 3;30 ..wow...no wonder you are looking for something to munch on.

Today was a better day..not perfect but better then yesterday!! Hows everyone else doing..
Almeeker..I counted friday but its up to you...

blackrhino2 05-15-2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by blackrhino2 (Post 10762)
this is great. i need to focus on my weekends!

i vow to:
-not go over 1700 calories on one of the days, and on the other day not go over 1500
-only have one drink on friday and no more than two drinks on saturday
-get some form of exercise in each day (walking, dancing, biking or yoga)
-have fish atleast once this weekend
-to try and choose to eat veggies instead of cheese

Ok, so to report back:
I stayed under 1700 yesterday, while today I went well over 1500.
I completed my alcohol consumption, exercising, and fish eating goals. I've done a so-so job at choosing veggies.

Today I haven't even tracked. I know I went waaaayyy over my calorie consumption because there was a picnic equivalent to an all you can eat buffet that I attended from 2-7PM. That was hard. I certainly could have had more restraint. I had a light breakfast and a light dinner too--but really the lunch was out of control.

I still have tomorrow where I will exercies and hopefully stay under 1500 so that I can still make my goals!! :) :) :)

I'm hoping you all are reaching your weekend goals! This is a great thread to help keep things in perspective for short-term goals.

SkinnyErinn 05-15-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10837)
This weekend I vow to: (mid weekend updates in RED)
1. Hit the gym on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for 1 hour of cardio each day. exercise is good, went easier on myself today because I don't feel well, so I went on a 1 hour hike.
2. Drink all of my water before 4PM. yea, epic fail here. Still getting it all in by bedtime though.
3. Eat more of my protein and veggies throughout the day rather than having a larger dinner. pretty good here.
4. Stay around 1200 calories. very good here
5. Not scrutinize my body too harshly in the mirror - when I find myself thinking negative thoughts about this amazing machine that is working for ME and as grown TWO HUMANS, I will say outloud, "I love my body." Even if I am in the supermarket and the aisle is quickly vacated. :eek: I am a work in progress! I am being more forgiving though.

Good luck this weekend!

How are you all doing?

pattialbert 05-16-2010 04:50 AM

Havnt got that extra walk in yet but will today...
got on the scale and normally Im wayyy up on weekends but not today so my plan is working and Im very happy with that!!!
Got my day plugged into fitday and will stay on track!!
so far so good...

what about the rest of you??

fletch8502 05-16-2010 05:42 AM

Looks like everyone's working hard this weekend...great job, ladies! It's almost Monday, and isn't being healthy just so much easier during the week?! Well, okay, maybe not easy quite, but you get the point. =)

Erinn...I love your last goal and I love your comment about being a work in progress! You definitely have a great attitude! Congrats on working hard towards your goals.

pattialbert...yay for your plan working! Hope you get that extra walk in and continue to have a successful weekend.

As for me:

- Drink 8-10 glasses of water each day! Check!
- Take Friday off from the gym (I've worked out 13 of the past 14 days and my legs are soooore!) Check! And my legs thanked me! =)
- Go to the gym on Saturday (warm-up, work out with trainer, and run) Check!
- Go to the gym on Sunday (warm-up, hill climb, and abs) Check!
- Make good choices when I go out to dinner on Saturday =) Looked up the nutrition info for the restaurant before I went, made my choice, stuck to the choice at the restaurant, made substitutions/changes to make the meal as healthy as possible, stopped eating when I was full (not when my plate was empty) and enjoyed the meal and the company! CHECK!!!
- Stay at/near 1,200 calories all 3 days Check!

And the best part? This morning I'm down 1.5 lbs from yesterday! On a Sunday!!! Didn't know that was possible. I think I need to be a part of this thread every weekend! =)

traceymc1985 05-16-2010 07:11 AM

Hi Patti Ive been much better today. We dont usually have our dinner so early its usually at about 5pm mon-fri. I do get low-cal treats in for myself but the problem yesterday is i didnt have anything left til i do next food shop.
Ive been much more controlled today though and didnt snack. Im going to make sure im prepared for the next weekend!
Well done everyone!!

zaba30 05-16-2010 07:22 AM

Hey, all!
Why I haven't seen this post before this awfull weekend? :-(
So, OK...I'll try to forgive myself 2 days of zero exsercise but how to explain to myself Saturday's 2100 calories??? Grrrrrrrrr...Today 1800! And all that after great Friday when I saw for the first time after 7 days that my scale moved for 2 kg (down, of course :-D). Of course, I found myself an explanation - stupid one, but..."those days of the month", you know what I mean? It's great that we have weekend challenge. I think I'll need it for the next time :-)
Hope you all are doing fine...I can't wait for Monday to get back on track :-)

traceymc1985 05-16-2010 07:38 AM

Im totally with you zaba! My weekend could have been much better but i know the times i have weakness so im going to try some forward planning in time for the next one. If only i can tell my brain the same things as i can through the week!! Once i crack saturday and sunday like i have mon-fri i will be on the right path for success. I dont drink alcohol anymore-which ive got to say used to lower my appetite but im having a nicer time without it so its a good thing in one way. Just got to eat the right weekend foods!!

almeeker 05-16-2010 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10793)
I vow for my own health and welfare, this weekend I will:

1. Weed, mulch and Preen at least 2 more flower beds (I have 5 left)
2. Get my veggie garden started
3. Limit my calories to 1,600 or less each day
4. Drink all my water before I drink a sip of Diet Coke
5. Hit the gym on Saturday for at least 75 min (800 cal burn minimum)
6. Go for a 30 min run on Sunday (or 60min elliptical if it's raining)
7. Give honey a little sugar... (hey, that burns calories too, especially if you give it "vigorous effort").

I'm checking in here on Sunday night so that I don't snack and wreck it before tomorrow morning.

1. Weeded, and Preened 2 1/2 flower beds (I was wrong I had 7 left - yikes), bought mulch today, haven't applied it, but will get on it tomorrow morning, half check.
2. Spent 3 hours running the rototiller today, arms are killing me, check.
3. Managed to keep calories to 1,599 Sat. and 1,589 Sun, check (near thing).
4. Drank all my water on Sat before a diet Coke, drank all my water on Sun, but mom handed me a diet Coke while I was running the rototiller and before I'd finished my last bottle of water, half check.
5. Hit the gym on Sat., 1 hour 25 min., check.
6. Went for a 30 minute run on Sun., check.
7. Gave honey a little sugar, check check check, and maybe once more later tonight...

zaba30 05-17-2010 02:28 AM

My weekends are usually are not so bad but it's bad when it comes together "those days of the month" (women's days), and dieting, rain and awfull weather...uffffffffffff...I hate it...I just want to stare through the window, or my computer or watch TV and eat some chocolate (yummmmmiiii :-D) or some salty snacks....
But, today I'm a new person :-)))
I came home from work and I already did my exercise (hour and a half :-D) and, of course, watched out for my calories...so, I guess that for now hard days are behind me...hope they will stay there :-)) (for all of us ;-) )

egmdobbs 05-17-2010 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10992)
I'm checking in here on Sunday night so that I don't snack and wreck it before tomorrow morning.

7. Gave honey a little sugar, check check check, and maybe once more later tonight...

Wow - honey's going to get a cavity with all that sugar! :)

I could have done better this weekend, but I also could have done worse. I caved when they brought out the cake at my staff meeting on Friday, but I had a light dinner to make up for it. I did great on Saturday and stuck to 1,200 calories. Then on Sunday we did have a big dinner of steak and oven fries, but we had also paddled a Class 2 rapids for 90 minutes that morning - quite the workout! And I was proud of myself that we also walked around an outdoor flea market for 3 hours in the afternoon, and I got a 1 scoop ice cream cone when everyone wanted ice cream, and my son and I shared it, so I only ended up eating half of it. 3 weeks ago I would have ordered a double scoop and eaten the whole thing, so I've got to focus on the small victories! I ended up at 2,000 calories on Sunday, but burned about 500 more than I would have on a typical day. Hopefully it will even out!

montanacricket 05-17-2010 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by montanacricket (Post 10755)
Seeing as I'll be running an outdoor classroom with over 125 sixth graders tomorrow, I have to be careful what I pack in my lunch. It'll be an almond butter sandwich on whole wheat, some greek yogurt with a dab of honey, and an apple most likely.

Over the weekend, I have a BUNCH of yardwork to get done and it's suppose to be nice, so exercise won't be a worry. Food will though. My goal is to keep my calories under 1500 unless I spend most of both days out working hard in the yard, then I'd like to keep them under 1700.

And I vow to only have 2 small glasses of wine.

Well so much for that! I did good with Friday's exercise, nearly 7 miles and almost 17,000 steps according to the pedometer. I was the "ranger" going between stations to make sure we were on track. I went over on calories, but pizza was GOOOD as was that one beer.

Saturday I over did on calories just by a bit, but was planting trees and doing yardwork nearly all day, so I think things evened out well.

Sunday I kept the calories in check and still did yard and housework, so it was an okay weekend.

KristynBond 05-17-2010 03:46 AM

I so wish I had read this before the weekend. Every weekend I end up totally pigging out (e.g. pizza night, birthday parties, fundraisers, etc), by about 3500 calories. So...every weekend I gain a pound. Then I spend every Monday and Tuesday trying to lose that pound. I'm vowing now to keep it together this coming weekend. I'm going to start small...I will only overeat 1 day next weekend instead of 3!

Twinnermommy 05-17-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Twinnermommy (Post 10895)
Great thread! I am planning a birthday party, so it will take effort not to snack as I am cooking cakes and then at the party itself. So I will stay under 1800 calories both Saturday and Sunday, and work out for 60 minutes tommorrow and take Sunday off. That is still stretching it, I could do better, but I'm just beginning so -- baby steps.

So I worked out for 30 minutes saturday but also vigorously clean my entire house (I was cleaning so fast I actually worked up a sweat - that's a first!) Ha of course you couldn't tell 10 minutes after the party started though.. I did snack a bit on Saturday but I stayed around 1700. Sunday was 1200 cuz I was too busy to eat. I thought this weekend would be a challenge for me (and it was because of exercise) but being that busy kind of distracted me from my usual snacking.

You are all inspiring me to do better though, it seems like most of you met your goals and that is great!

pattialbert 05-17-2010 01:13 PM

Eatingwise was ok this weekend...better then most weekends...exercise nope didnt do it..couldnt talk myself into it this weekend...but have an extra walk in planned for wed evening...I think the key for weekends is for me to plan a walk with a friend and then I have to go....
Heres to next weekend!!! looks like everyone enjoyed this one.

Ill start a new thread for next weekend..here in Canada its a long weekend so some of us may post for monday as well to keep ourselves on track..as for fridays its up to you..if you consider it your weekend go for it! if not..dont worry about it.

Good going ladies!!! WE CAN DO IT