FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1041-marvelous-may-100-plus-womens-thread.html)

pattialbert 05-09-2010 08:05 AM

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Just starting a new thread for us!! Come join us in our journey for the month of May.... be sure to check out the new posts in the old thread!!
happy mothers day...

almeeker 05-09-2010 11:47 AM

Happy Mother's day all you fabulous beauties!!!! I had a very nice and sweet Mother's Day, spent the whole day at home with just my DH and kiddies (very unusual that). It was gorgeous out, so we tended the yard and some of the flower beds. They go all the way around the house and line the side and back yard, so this project will go on all summer really, but we got the 2 primary ones spruced up a bit. They were weeded, pruned, mulched and Preened. What a fantastic start to the growing season! And I've now got all sorts of ideas and energy for making the whole of it even nicer.

Then I took a quick rinse in the tub to get the mulch off before we went out to dinner. Normally I shower, but I wanted to shave my legs and soak for a few minutes. And guess what? My fanny no longer creates a dam in the tub, sealing it from side to side, the water flows all around me now. I am a rock, I am an island. Sorry to over share, but the first time my butt filled the tub side to side I burst into tears, because that's when I knew that I was really really fat.

traceymc1985 05-09-2010 11:58 PM

I know what you mean there Lol! i used to hate getting in the bath and all the water would come over the sides or if i stayed in when tap running ther would be no water behind me. I also had to lift my fat up to shave my lady bits.
All this has changed now tho and i can enjoy a really deep bath and i no longer have to move my stomach-yeah its there but i can actually see my parts more clearly to shave. Sorry for the details. Id also like to say its amazing that that part can actually slim down! Am i the only one who had fat in places i didnt want? Not anymore tho just 2 stone to go for my goal!!!!!!

almeeker 05-10-2010 01:44 AM

No you are not the only one that got fat in places like that. Not to over share, but I have stretch marks on places other than my stomach from pregnancy. All I'm saying is that was never mentioned as a possible side effect of pregnancy in any of the pregnancy books or pamphlets I read. Imagine my surprise... Of course I have a skinny friend that got no stretch marks, she got the brown line instead, her DD is 8 almost 9, but the crooked brown line has never faded. Ahhh the Gods of Motherhood are fair and equal after all....

Don't you think a girl ought to know those things ahead of time? Weeelllll then again maybe not or the human race might just die out.

egmdobbs 05-10-2010 03:03 AM

Almeeker and Tracey - I avoid taking baths too because who wants to sit there and stare at their own fat?!?! Congrats to both of you for looking better in the tub - too funny!

I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day. I did pretty well considering that my mother-in-law ended up changing her menu and fixed hamburgers and pasta salad with balsamic vinegar dressing instead. I had a small hamburger with no bun and about a cup of pasta salad, no chips, and skipped her fudge brownies for dessert. Thought I did pretty well! Plus we went on a long walk at the local arboretum and I played outside with my little guy when we got home. All in all, a great day and no diet sabotaging!

Here's to another healthy week! Skinny vibes to all of you!

montanacricket 05-10-2010 03:21 AM

Oof. I way over did yesterday. My oldest really wanted to make crepes (we call them "skinny pancakes") for breakfast for me, so we did and I had some and they were delish, and then I really didn't eat the rest of the day. Until dinner.

I ground roast for burgers (much leaner, but I can't find a good approximation on fitday and settled for 15% fat) and made homemade, whole wheat buns. My SIL brought two potato salads :eek: and mom made a cut fruit salad, no sweetener added thank heavens. My oldest daughter also made--wait for it--white chocolate raspberry brownies.:eek::eek:

As my nephew said--the best brownies I've ever eaten.

I am still under the calories that Fitday says I can eat and lose, but only by 10 or so...and I don't believe them anyway. I'm trying to stick to 1200 to 1400 calories per day...I blew it.

On a happier note though I spent several hours on Saturday building two patios--pavers are HEAVY--and I know I burned a LOT of calories with that. And of course all the house cleaning Sunday in preparation for dinner with the family.

But I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by how badly I ate this weekend.:(

almeeker 05-10-2010 03:31 AM

Don't feel too bad montanacricket, I over did it too. I was really good through breakfast and lunch, then I got hungry and started snacking earlier than usual. I had good snacks, but too many of them. Then we went out to dinner and I ordered one of the 550 calorie meals, but then I had a couple of chicken wings and a couple of fries and a sip of beer and before I knew what hit me I was 500 calories over my absolute highest limit. Today I paid for it on the scale, not only that but my tummy got used to all that extra food instantaneously and now I'm starving again today.

So what, we dropped an egg, better put the carton back in the fridge before we drop another eh?

montanacricket 05-10-2010 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10482)
Don't feel too bad montanacricket, I over did it too. I was really good through breakfast and lunch, then I got hungry and started snacking earlier than usual. I had good snacks, but too many of them. Then we went out to dinner and I ordered one of the 550 calorie meals, but then I had a couple of chicken wings and a couple of fries and a sip of beer and before I knew what hit me I was 500 calories over my absolute highest limit. Today I paid for it on the scale, not only that but my tummy got used to all that extra food instantaneously and now I'm starving again today.

So what, we dropped an egg, better put the carton back in the fridge before we drop another eh?

You are absolutely right! :) I do worry about when I retire someday though. Not only do I love to cook, but I tend to blow it more on days that I'm not working....But I may as well not borrow trouble at this point!

almeeker 05-10-2010 06:04 AM

I tend to blow it on Sundays. On Saturdays I go to the gym and kick my own behind every stinking time, so I usually behave the rest of the day. But Sunday is my day off from working out and I spend the whole day grazing. It's awful.

traceymc1985 05-10-2010 08:48 AM

Just to add same here on stretch marks, in them regions and everywhere else. You would have though my babies came out of my arms and legs if you seen them. there are more here then on my belly. My youngest is 5 and a half and i can happily say they have dramatically faded but it took alot of time. Im used to them now though but do worry that when the weight comes off my skin may look more wrinkly with having stretch marks. I suppose being slim will compensate though and im not panicking yet!

speedyfair 05-10-2010 12:04 PM

hi ladies - to funny the tub stories - great job!
Had a bad day emotionally today, but made myself eat my regular meals just not any snacks so I wouldn't fall into my same cycle of starving and binging. I feel very proud of myself- it was a mind battle for a while, but just finished my dinner and feel good about myself so that's an improvement.

so helpful and uplifting to read your posts - thanks everyone for sharing

almeeker 05-11-2010 01:16 AM

Sorry to hear you had a bad day, eating-wise I've had a few rough ones myself. Just keep in mind that bad days happen no matter your size, and that sometimes the only fix for a bad day is the setting of the sun, not food. Well honey, it's a new sunrise, so here's to a much better day (coffee cup raised in your direction).

pattialbert 05-11-2010 03:52 AM

I like that Almeeker....lets all raise our coffee mugs or water bottles to a new week!!!!!

Got in a good work out yesterday and stayed on track eatingwise..feel much peppier today!!

montanacricket 05-11-2010 04:06 AM

Softball is here

And it was a late game last night, which meant I was in bed late and didn't haul my carcass out of bed at 4:30 this morning. So today is a "slug day" for me where I'm really really going to watch my calorie intake.

On a bright note though (a couple actually), our daughter won her game last night, and when my hubby put his arms around me this morning while he was laying in bed and I was sitting up reading, he could tell I've lost inches. :) That made me happy even though I'm feeling slug like!

egmdobbs 05-11-2010 05:00 AM

Montana - I'm glad your DH is noticing your progress! Sometimes its hard for the people who see us everyday to really notice a difference. Must have felt great!

Speedyfair - Sorry about your bad day yesterday - I'm raising my Diet Coke to you!

Having a good week so far after avoiding most major pitfalls this weekend. And I just can't stick to my once a week weigh ins, and I've been stepping on the scale everyday or every other day - but the good news is, I'm into a new "decade" this morning - 229! Only about 9 more pounds to go until I'm the weight I was right after having my son. Which means I will have lost all the "depression" weight. Since I have some time to type (and I'm sorry if you don't have time to read!) I got laid off from my job the day before my son was born, and ended up finding the wrong job 5 months later that just added to my depression from being let go. The job had way too much stress, late nights, long weekends, and I was also dealing with putting my kid in daycare after 5 months home with him. Of course, I ate my troubles away. Now I'm at a new job that I love, but it took me a year to find it, and as a result, I lost NONE of my "baby weight" and I gained 15 pounds on top of it. 15 pounds of fast food, chocolate, too many sweets, and all sorts of nasty food. So when I hit the 220's this morning, I realized that by losing this weight that I had put on as a result of all these difficult times, I am washing away the troubles too. Granted, I still have a ways to go to get back to pre-pregnancy (and since I was a little overweight when I got pregnant, some more after that), but it's a sign that I am moving on, I am going to be healthy, and I'm not going to let a job or my emotions rule my life. :)

almeeker 05-11-2010 10:09 AM

You guys are all so inspiring!!!!

egmdobbs, I love that you are figuring out what put the weight on you and saying goodbye to all those bad vibes and feelings. I sort of wonder if that didn't happen to me a little too. I got laid off while on maternity leave and it sucked big time. Not only because I didn't have a job, but because it became clear to me that there was gender and racial discrimination going on company wide, all fully sanctioned by the all white male executive committee. How horrible is that?

Montanacricket, you go on losing those inches, and it was especially nice that DH noticed and said something. I swear sometimes I could dye my hair pink and my DH wouldn't notice. He did laugh at my pants the other day, because they're so big it's almost a joke. My oldest DD is really funny, sometimes she runs back and forth between my DH and I hugging us, then she'll say "psst, mommy I think you're skinnier than daddy now". It's very funny, especially since she's never mastered whispering.

pattialbert, glad to hear your peppier today. Amazing how good that workout can make you feel. I had trouble sleeping a few nights ago and it made it much harder to stay on track eating wise. It was almost like my body was trying to substitute food for sleep.

traceymc1985, I hesitate to even say this, but my stretch marks look a little worse now than they did filled with fat. Doesn't seem the least bit fair. I think when you lose weight the skin should zip right back up to pre-split shape. Who's with me on that one?

Well gotta go, it's time to cook something for supper, and from the battle going on in the living room I can only guess that WWIII is under way...

almeeker 05-11-2010 10:59 PM

Morning ladies,

Coffee cups up (coffee optional), here's to an awesome, low-cal, plenty of water drinking, fat burning day. I got my workout in this morning, so this morning I'm telling myself that today I started strong and I'm going to stay strong all day. I've had a couple of bad days food wise. Mother's Day was OTT, and ever since I've been fighting a swirling vortex of food addiction symptoms. Today I've made sure to book my schedule up solid, keeping busy always helps me stay off the food. I also took a minute to plan my foods out, which doesn't always help, but today I'm going to print it out and keep it in my pocket. Well gotta go, the little monsters need to get to school... Have a good one, big squeeze.

montanacricket 05-12-2010 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10628)
Morning ladies,

Coffee cups up (coffee optional), here's to an awesome, low-cal, plenty of water drinking, fat burning day. I got my workout in this morning, so this morning I'm telling myself that today I started strong and I'm going to stay strong all day. I've had a couple of bad days food wise. Mother's Day was OTT, and ever since I've been fighting a swirling vortex of food addiction symptoms. Today I've made sure to book my schedule up solid, keeping busy always helps me stay off the food. I also took a minute to plan my foods out, which doesn't always help, but today I'm going to print it out and keep it in my pocket. Well gotta go, the little monsters need to get to school... Have a good one, big squeeze.

Oh boy do I hear you on that...between Mother's Day and the fact that my darned period finally decided to start, and my daughter's late ball game Monday night, I missed my work out yesterday and Monday's was LAME.

However, I must not be doing everything wrong, because not only did I get almost to the 3 mile mark on the treadmill in my 60 minutes this morning, but got on the scale after my walk, shower and shake (and a liter of water) and it was down 2 POUNDS!!! So I've broken into a new decade! And have officially lost 1/10 of my goal weight! :)

Keep on keeping on people!!!!!

pattialbert 05-12-2010 03:43 AM

Ok ladies ...some of us are struggling with staying on plan on weekends so how about this weekend we have a little challenge (with ourselves) to stay on the straight and narrow! I will start a new thread for it...we can post what we ate,,,or how much we exercised...or even if we strayed and why...maybe this will keep us on track. Anyone up for it??

Nice NSV (non scale victories) this week you guys!!!! Baggie pants and smaller hugs are great incentives!

almeeker 05-12-2010 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by pattialbert (Post 10641)
Ok ladies ...some of us are struggling with staying on plan on weekends so how about this weekend we have a little challenge (with ourselves) to stay on the straight and narrow! I will start a new thread for it...we can post what we ate,,,or how much we exercised...or even if we strayed and why...maybe this will keep us on track. Anyone up for it??

Nice NSV (non scale victories) this week you guys!!!! Baggie pants and smaller hugs are great incentives!

I'm in!!! Better this weekend than next for me anyway. Next weekend I'm going camping with the whole Girl Scout Troop, now won't that be fun? Can you say sleep deprivation and junk food? I'm going to pack my own chow, but I'm sure there will be issues with the menu.

Funny thing happened yesterday, I took snacks to Girl Scouts, it wasn't my turn but the mom in charge forgot and I live near the meeting place. So I ran home and grabbed the jug of granola bars. Anyway the jug has a bunch of different flavors in it, so I just let the kids pick which one they wanted. Anyway this one little girl kept pulling them out and saying "this is low fat, I don't eat anything low fat", then putting them back and fishing for another one. Finally I said to her, "they are all low-fat, welcome to life at our house". She made a horrible face at me, but I told her to give it a try because they are just as good as the full of fat kind. Do you know that kid ate the whole thing and asked for another one? Too funny. It just goes to show what she's learning in her own home doesn't it? Of course in the meantime one of my kids pipes up with "yep, we all have to be healthy at our house, it's mandatory". Mandatory? Well out of the mouths of babes I guess.

SkinnyErinn 05-12-2010 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by pattialbert (Post 10641)

SO SUPER IN OVER HERE! Maybe we can all just report here, I have trouble focusing on more than one forum, I get too distracted! LOLOLOL.
Heading off to bed everyone after a half-assed attempt to work out, but at least I was working it...gotta get my game face on for WEIGH IN DAY - Blech. Good luck tomorrow, I *know* you can stick to your journeys. You got this. :cool:

egmdobbs 05-13-2010 03:03 AM

Patti - I'm in for the weekend challenge too! Good idea!

Almeeker - Your story about the granola points to the reason behind the problem of childhood obesity - the parents! Kids don't go grcoery shopping by themselves, they will eat what's in the house. If you supply them with the options and the teaching, they will learn!

SkinnyErinn - Just so you're not wondering "who the heck is this?", I am "following" your blog, so if you see someone named Emily show up, that's me! I also have a blog on blogspot.

I had a breakdown yesterday. My son has been really sick these last 2 days. 104-degree fever and all that. I had to take him to immediate care Tuesday night and spent 3 hours there while they did tests and chest x-ray. Then yesterday his fever was still high and back to the doc to find out it was an ear infection. So I've been sleepless, stressed out, and very worried, but I was still eating ok. Then I went into the drugstore to get his prescription and walked out with a bag of Bridge Mix (my favorite chocolate candy splurge) without even realizing it. I got in the car and stuffed half the bag (there's 5 servings in it) before I even knew what I was doing. I somehow snapped out of it and I was so mad at myself that I dumped the rest of the bag out of the window of the car! And the thing about the frantic stress eating that sucks the most - I didn't even enjoy it! I was just mindlessly shoveling food! My emotions rule my eating, and the last 20-30 pounds I have gained have come from stress and exhaustion. So I compensated yesterday by eating a very small dinner and I'll keep calories low today to make up for the extra 600-800 cals I ate yesterday. Grrrr!

pattialbert 05-13-2010 03:03 AM

Morning ladies..
oh I remember camping with the Brownies (similiar to girl scouts but younger) went every year with my girls..so much fun and memories Almeeker!! Have fun~ we used to make sure there was always fruit available for anyone who didnt like what we were making for meals..hopefully the menu wont be too bad,,,I would hope whoever planned the menu would consider nutrition?? for the girls. We would try to plan healthy treats for snacks such as hikers apples..take an apple and core it,,,fill with peanut butter and add a few chocolate chips on top. My youngest still loves that treat. Another was to take an ice cream cone,,(just the cone) and put some yogurt inside and top it with fresh fruits,,and good old popcorn with some hot chocolate. Ok now I want to go camping..lol love camping.

Erinn I hear you about getting caught up in posts...I belong to a couple of weight loss boards and sometimes it overwhelming to keep up with everything. I will post the challange on a separate thread..but please please please dont think you have to post on it...go right ahead and put your goals and success on here for the weekend! No one needs more stress.... I was thinking if we kept it separate maybe more can join us that dont belong to this thread...?? hope you dont mind.

Having a good exercise week here...and the scale is coming down again and the cravings are going away...now to keep it up for the weekend!!!
have a good one everyone!!!

EGM Im so glad your son is better!! Bridge mixture..omg...those things are evil...............I will not think about bridge mixture..I will not think about bridge mixture...I will not think about bridge mixture...ok its not working..Im going to eat some yogurt. hah

almeeker 05-13-2010 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by pattialbert (Post 10747)
Morning ladies..
oh I remember camping with the Brownies (similiar to girl scouts but younger) went every year with my girls..so much fun and memories Almeeker!! Have fun~ we used to make sure there was always fruit available for anyone who didnt like what we were making for meals..hopefully the menu wont be too bad,,,I would hope whoever planned the menu would consider nutrition?? for the girls. We would try to plan healthy treats for snacks such as hikers apples..take an apple and core it,,,fill with peanut butter and add a few chocolate chips on top. My youngest still loves that treat. Another was to take an ice cream cone,,(just the cone) and put some yogurt inside and top it with fresh fruits,,and good old popcorn with some hot chocolate. Ok now I want to go camping..lol love camping.

I typed it wrong, it is Brownies, not Girl Scouts. I have a feeling that the food will be horrendously unhealthy, so far every scouting event has been absolutely mountain deep in junk food. So great idea about the fruit, and I'll take my jug of granola bars too. I have a ton of popcorn too, so into the box that goes as well. I might make up a big batch of trail mix too.

The funny part is that the Brownie leaders I know are all queen sized, dieting and make noise about wanting to get healthy, but you would never know it by the food at these events. Argh!!!

SkinnyErinn 05-13-2010 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 10754)
I typed it wrong, it is Brownies, not Girl Scouts. I have a feeling that the food will be horrendously unhealthy, so far every scouting event has been absolutely mountain deep in junk food. So great idea about the fruit, and I'll take my jug of granola bars too. I have a ton of popcorn too, so into the box that goes as well. I might make up a big batch of trail mix too.

The funny part is that the Brownie leaders I know are all queen sized, dieting and make noise about wanting to get healthy, but you would never know it by the food at these events. Argh!!!

We did the same thing with the hikers apples, but used raisins instead of chocoloate chips... just a thought. Maybe if you lead by example they will start to make their events more health-conscious? Good luck, and even if you do splurge a little - there is a lot of calories to be burned off on those trails! Have fun!

egmdobbs 05-13-2010 03:29 AM

Almeeker - I have to laugh about your Girl Scouting experience. I am actually a Girl Scout employee (and Brownies are a Girl Scout level, BTW - it's daisies, brownies, juniors, cadettes, seniors, and ambassadors! :) I think it's funny that you say all the leaders are queen-sized - all of the staff members I work with in an office of 25 are all overweight. Some more than others, and probably 5-7 are morbidly obese. I have only worked there for 3 months, but I can see why they're all unhealthy - we ALWAYS have a package of Girl Scout cookies open, we have a potluck every other week, everyone eats big lunches (usually fast food) together, and almost every event revolves around food. I think once I've been there a little longer I will try to institute some healthy practices. I think there are 1 or 2 other people there that might join me. And what's even funnier is that the Girl Scout programming has an emphasis on making healthy choices and self-esteem - why can't we follow this ourselves?!?

SkinnyErinn 05-13-2010 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by pattialbert (Post 10747)
Morning ladies..

Erinn I hear you about getting caught up in posts...I belong to a couple of weight loss boards and sometimes it overwhelming to keep up with everything. I will post the challange on a separate thread..but please please please dont think you have to post on it...go right ahead and put your goals and success on here for the weekend! No one needs more stress.... I was thinking if we kept it separate maybe more can join us that dont belong to this thread...?? hope you dont mind.

Having a good exercise week here...and the scale is coming down again and the cravings are going away...now to keep it up for the weekend!!!
have a good one everyone!!!

EGM Im so glad your son is better!! Bridge mixture..omg...those things are evil...............I will not think about bridge mixture..I will not think about bridge mixture...I will not think about bridge mixture...ok its not working..Im going to eat some yogurt. hah

Oh Patti - of course I don't mind! I would feel worse if someone did something because *I* was the only one requesting it! I have been in countless PTA and committee meetings where everything had to change because of ONE person's request - I refuse to be that person! LOL.
Great job on the exercise, today is my day off, hoping to get a lot of work in! Thanks for all you do. :D

SkinnyErinn 05-13-2010 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by egmdobbs (Post 10745)
Patti - I'm in for the weekend challenge too! Good idea!

Almeeker - Your story about the granola points to the reason behind the problem of childhood obesity - the parents! Kids don't go grcoery shopping by themselves, they will eat what's in the house. If you supply them with the options and the teaching, they will learn!

SkinnyErinn - Just so you're not wondering "who the heck is this?", I am "following" your blog, so if you see someone named Emily show up, that's me! I also have a blog on blogspot.

I had a breakdown yesterday. My son has been really sick these last 2 days. 104-degree fever and all that. I had to take him to immediate care Tuesday night and spent 3 hours there while they did tests and chest x-ray. Then yesterday his fever was still high and back to the doc to find out it was an ear infection. So I've been sleepless, stressed out, and very worried, but I was still eating ok. Then I went into the drugstore to get his prescription and walked out with a bag of Bridge Mix (my favorite chocolate candy splurge) without even realizing it. I got in the car and stuffed half the bag (there's 5 servings in it) before I even knew what I was doing. I somehow snapped out of it and I was so mad at myself that I dumped the rest of the bag out of the window of the car! And the thing about the frantic stress eating that sucks the most - I didn't even enjoy it! I was just mindlessly shoveling food! My emotions rule my eating, and the last 20-30 pounds I have gained have come from stress and exhaustion. So I compensated yesterday by eating a very small dinner and I'll keep calories low today to make up for the extra 600-800 cals I ate yesterday. Grrrr!

Oh my god, you really are my twin! My son went through the same thing on April 10th - I even posted it on the other board. Glad someone's reading the blog, I just throw it out there in hopes that someone who started out like me will read it and decide to change their lives for the better.
I do that emotional eating too... no idea why we do it, except that our culture really uses food for everything: someone dies - eat, births - eat, weddings - eat, good day at work - eat, bad day at work - eat... everything is about food. I think for my 30th, we are going bicycling, LOL. Good job on the compensating, I love someone's signature on here about not dropping the other 11 eggs. Great job!
As a mother of TWO miniature carb addicts, I wonder about how we soothe our babies. If my son cries, someone is there shoving a bottle or a cracker or grapes in his face. In my mind, I am actually CREATING an emotional eater... get upset, get food. I am really trying to open up my family's eyes to that. Maybe I can start a new trend - get upset, go for a walk.... EMOTIONAL EXERCISING!!! YAY!
Good luck this week, don't beat yourself up... remember the stronger side of you is the one who woke up and threw that chocolate out the window.

almeeker 05-13-2010 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by egmdobbs (Post 10758)
Almeeker - I have to laugh about your Girl Scouting experience. I am actually a Girl Scout employee (and Brownies are a Girl Scout level, BTW - it's daisies, brownies, juniors, cadettes, seniors, and ambassadors! :) I think it's funny that you say all the leaders are queen-sized - all of the staff members I work with in an office of 25 are all overweight. Some more than others, and probably 5-7 are morbidly obese. I have only worked there for 3 months, but I can see why they're all unhealthy - we ALWAYS have a package of Girl Scout cookies open, we have a potluck every other week, everyone eats big lunches (usually fast food) together, and almost every event revolves around food. I think once I've been there a little longer I will try to institute some healthy practices. I think there are 1 or 2 other people there that might join me. And what's even funnier is that the Girl Scout programming has an emphasis on making healthy choices and self-esteem - why can't we follow this ourselves?!?

Oh that is soooo scary and I can see myself fitting right in at the office on soooo many levels. You know when I was a scout, we had to cook when we camped out, and there were recipes that you had to attempt for various badges and stuff. It was all pretty healthy, but when this particular group gets together, it's bad. You know that show "What Not To Wear", well this is "What Not To Eat".

My brother's company does this program called "The 5, 10, 15, 20 Challenge", it's mandatory. They get really great prizes too, like extra days off, gift cards, etc. Anyway the 5 is for 5 servings of fruits and veggies every day. This is apparently the hardest part for my brother's unit, right. So every morning they all pitch in money and the secretary runs out and gets a fruit tray for breakfast and a veggie tray for lunch. My brother keeps a weight bench in his office, because the 15 is 15 minutes of strengthening exercises/day. He lets the guys use it during break (or whenever). 10 is 10,000 steps on a pedometer, which the company provided and the 20 is that 2,000 of the steps have to be aerobic. It cracks me up that his whole unit pushes each other to keep pace. At the very least they've identified where they are weak and keep poking at each other. Oh and the other thing that's sort of funny is that the steps are posted weekly. Maybe you can get the boss on board a program like that, I dunno it's worth having a conversation over anyway.

pattialbert 05-13-2010 02:30 PM

Now thats keeping everyone accountable..wow...love that 5-10-15-20 idea.

Erin Im glad your ok with another thread for the challenge..sometimes when I write something on here I wonder if it will be misread..thanks for understanding. I just peeked over there and seems to be alot of interest from others on the board. As women we need to stick together and encourage each other. :)

Emily we do need to stop thinking of celebrations revolving around food...its sad isnt it. Starting with some healthy substitutions may have others joining you ... not everyone is comfortable being the first..hopefully you get lots of participants.

Almeeker...just letting you know I love your goals this weekend.. ;););)

SkinnyErinn 05-13-2010 03:31 PM

This week's weight loss - I lost 3 pounds since last Thursday. I cheated a little and weighed in on Saturday... so, I've lost 2 pounds since last Saturday. That makes my total lost to 164! Woot woot! 116 until goal. Loving life... off to exercise.

Quick tip for you busy moms - I did my free weight strength training on my arms this evening while cooking dinner. Biceps, shoulder press, door knobs, side arm raises, triceps... 3 sets of 10. I was making turkey burgers, so I did a set, flipped the burgers, did a set, got the bread ready, did a set. All done before dinner was even ready!

almeeker 05-13-2010 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn (Post 10827)
This week's weight loss - I lost 3 pounds since last Thursday. I cheated a little and weighed in on Saturday... so, I've lost 2 pounds since last Saturday. That makes my total lost to 164! Woot woot! 116 until goal. Loving life... off to exercise.

Quick tip for you busy moms - I did my free weight strength training on my arms this evening while cooking dinner. Biceps, shoulder press, door knobs, side arm raises, triceps... 3 sets of 10. I was making turkey burgers, so I did a set, flipped the burgers, did a set, got the bread ready, did a set. All done before dinner was even ready!

I love this idea!!!! Although I think I should probably get some strap on wrist weights, because knowing me I would cunk myself in the head with the free weights and burn dinner while I lay on the floor in a blurred state of confusion. Can't you just see it?

I noticed yesterday that you now only have to lose 10 pounds 12 times instead of 13 times. You go baby!!! I'm on the verge of crossing over a decade mark, so I'm determined to behave myself this weekend.

patti, yep right off I got laughter over my weekend goals, but it was actually a serious list. I'm a happily married woman, and that ain't no accident. There's a little tension in my household if you know what I mean, and for the benefit of my own health and the happiness factor in my marriage, I mean to remedy that. I even got a sleepover at grandma's lined up, hehehe...

desertmountain 05-14-2010 06:37 AM

I read Patti's post about starting a new thread on the old thread, but I'll be darned if I could find the new one so I posted on the old thread yesterday. I'll cut & paste it over here in a sec.

I remember hiking apples :) They were so good! We made ours with raisins, too. I loved being in the brownies & GS but whenever I see the little cuties now I'm afraid that all I see are miniature pushers -- it can't be helped it's just the cookie addict in me. LOL. I don't care for the lower calorie ones, I think their called Daisy Rounds or something but OMG the Thin Mints--Okay stop thinking about thin mints. Think about hiking apples instead. :p

egmdobbs: I'm so glad that your ds is feeling better. I don't think there's anything worse than when your child is sick. WTG on throwing out the rest of your bag! The next time you're tempted to buy a bag you'll have that memory to help you to resist the urge.

SkinnyErin: Congrats on the 3 pounds this week & 164! WOW! That's a good idea about exercising while you're cooking. My nose is usually in a book when making something that has short pauses but I'm going to do some exercises instead of reading.

Almeeker: Don't you love seeing your gardens all tidy in Spring? :D They always make me smile b/c I know that shortly there will be a riot of colors & scents. It's like looking at Christmas presents as a kid. We have gardens all around most of our house, too. Lots of work. Your weekend goal cracked me up! A friend of mine used to put her 'to do' list on her fridge and one day I saw that she'd written 'to do' her dh. You guys are so funny

Patti-that's such a good idea about the weekend goals thread -- mine is always the same (don't eat more than my calorie allotment *my mantra) but if I change it I'll join you guys.

I hope everyone has a wonderful & healthy weekend!

desertmountain 05-14-2010 06:39 AM

cut & paste

Good morning ladies,
Well you guys simply rock!! I just finished reading all the posts & am SO impressed! Congrats to all of you on such good work. WTG!
VaVaVoom SkinnyErin! Love your blog!

Almeeker:
Quote:
10/25/10 (the 14th anniversary of my 28th birthday)
ROTFLMAO almeeker! Not your goal, I know you'll attain your goal - it's the anniversary of your 28th-you crack me up girl. Congrats on doing excellent! Hey-how's your garden coming along? I've FINALLY recovered from the records lows & gotten back on track with new plants in the ground.

Dh & I started P90 on our anniversary (our 38th!) so as a gift to each other we keep each other on track since both of us are couch taters by night & computer jockies by day & slugs by nature. Since I had sustained major injuries last time I tried to do P90, this time I'm being verrrrrrrry careful. The good news is with the heavy workout I have to eat more calories to maintain my metabolism (up to 1500 from 1200)...the bad news is that the additional 300 calories are mostly lean protein and not cupcakes. Like last time, I'm gaining muscle so there's been a temporary weight gain, but inches are being lost in places and gained in others where the muscles are being used the most. So I'm not freaking out like I did last time the scales moved in the wrong direction, I know that soon my body will level out & I'll lose again. I'm quite a bit lighter than the last time, BMI is about 20% less, so it's not as painful as it was the last time either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineval View Post
Hey all,

You guys are all doing so well! I can not wait until I can say that I am losing weight as well. I have no idea what is going on since I have never in my life worked out 5 days a week minimum for min 45 minutes each day and yet I have still not lost any weight!. I am more carefull with what I am eatting and feel that jsut the big improvement of working out 5 days a week should show something since it has been since the end of February!

I am trying not to get to down and I know the wrong thing to do would be to give up but it is very frustrating since I am 250 and want to get to 140 and do not see anything happening lol.

I need nelp please anyone lol sorry to be so negative.
Hey, (hug) I have been EXACTLY where you're at & as hard as I worked no one else but me believed me. Even my doc thought that I wasn't being truthful. I wanted to strangle her scrawny little neck! What I found was a unique inner strength & it built my self esteem. The other thing I found out was that my body will not lose weight if I eat certain foods. I stalled and even gained weight eating grains & starchy food on a 1200 cal a day plus an hour a day workout plan. It was evil. Very evil.
Try this: avoid a certain food while maintaining a good pro-carb-fat ratio and stay in your same calorie range. Keep everything the same except adjust the types of foods for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Try staying away from grain (rice, wheat, rye, barley, etc - including all things made with them, pasta, flour, breadings, all breads, etc) for 7 to 14 days and see if the scale moves. If no change then try eliminating another type of food. Since this discovery I've met others who have the same problem so here's a list of some of the other foods people said kept them from losing weight: nuts, dairy, red meat, grains, starchy food (potatoes, etc) sugar, sugar substitutes, fruits that are high on the glycemic index. There are probably more. It's weird, but maybe our bodies are just overly sensitive to one or more of these things. When I eat grains it's water weight gain if I just have a little of them since 3 days after I've eaten it the weight usually goes away, but I don't lose any actual weight for a while afterward - I'm totally stalled at that weight for a week or so, if I eat too much of it I will gain weight & it doesn't come off as if it's water. So maybe it's food allergies or food sensitivities or maybe just a curse. that some of us have. But anyways, do try it, it might just be the ticket for you, too.
Also I agree, be sure to measure yourself at least 1X a month. Last month I lost 4 inches in my hips and since I average 1 pound a week I must have lost all the weight on my hips (none of the other measurements changed. I mean our bodies are weird sometimes.) Instead of feeling that same frustration over working so hard and having so little gain (or loss rather) I was over the moon happy with the results. Keep your head up and shoulders back - you're learning what your body needs & what things work & don't work for you. It's a process, so hang tight, you can do it!

almeeker 05-14-2010 07:01 AM

I never intended to be one of those women that lies about her age, but on my 29th birthday, as required by office law, I took doughnuts to work. The woman that I sat next to was about my mother's age. Three bites into the doughnut she asked how old I was, and I told her the truth. She was adamant that I could not possibly 29, because she, was 36!!! 36 my big white behind. So I ended up having to lie about my age because my mentor lied about hers. It was all very funny, and I keep it that way because she was such a good influence in my career. So, in honor of Diane I no longer celebrate my birthday, I celebrate the anniversary of my 28th. My middle child drew this picture of the whole family when she was about 5, over the top she wrote everybody's name and age, mine says "mommy 28". I framed it.

desertmountain congrats on starting up P90X again. That's a big step. My nephew has a copy that I've been trying to borrow for a couple of months, just to see what it's like before I shell out any money. I'm starting the garden this weekend. Next week is supposed to be really nice weather, which has been a little scarce this Spring. I can't wait!!! Your friend's list is absolutely hilarious! It reminds me of this one time I got a huge bruise on my leg like the size and color of an eggplant, I have no idea how it happened, and it didn't hurt, so I wasn't really thinking about it and stupidly wore shorts. A friend of mine saw it was was like "OMG! What did you do?". And all I could say was "my husband". Too funny.

Christineval, sorry to hear it's going so slowly for you. I agree with the advice of desertmountain, an elimination diet might offer some clues. I had to do that with my DD when she was little . It's tedious, but very helpful.

Well I gotta go get the little devils, um I mean sweet children, from school.

Sandy's50 05-15-2010 04:31 AM

well ..because I am blind in one eye and can't see outta the other apparently :eek: ....I posted over at the other thread because I didn't see this one for May...lol I hope you'll take a spin over there and read my post...just to introduce myself ....

Sandy

almeeker 05-15-2010 04:50 AM

Welcome aboard Sandy, I read your other post and I'm already glad to meet you. I'd type more, but I promised myself I would weed those flower beds this weekend, and it's now or never.

egmdobbs 05-15-2010 06:35 AM

Hey ladies!

Almeeker - I am turning 28 in July (really, I swear I'm not lying!) and it's got me a little shaken up realizing I'm getting closer and closer to 30. Maybe I'll use your trick when my 29th rolls around!

Desertmountain - Congrats on starting P90X! You'll have to post some before and after pictures when you get further into it - I'm very interested to see if it works like they say it does!

SkinnyErinn - awesome workout idea! I really should be more proactive about fitting in small workouts here and there. I'm very much an "all or nothing" person. If I can't get in at least 20-30 minutes of a good workout, I feel like it's pointless so I just don't do anything. I need to take a hint from you and realize that doing anything for any amount of time is better than absolutely nothing!

Almeeker - I noticed you're getting awfully close to your next decade - congrats! Stay strong this weekend!

As an update on my weekend goals, I did overdo it a little at our team meeting yesterday afternoon. I really wish that every staff meeting didn't revolve around unhealthy food, because it's so difficult to resist the temptation in a social setting! I had a small piece of sub sandwich (think 1/2 a 6-inch), a handful of chips, and a clementine. I thought I was doing really well, but then my boss brought out a big cake and mini candy bars. Ugh! I had a piece of cake and a mini candy bar, d'oh! I came home and recorded it all on Fitday and with liberal calorie and portion size estimates, I ended up at about 2,200 calories yesterday, and I've been trying to stick to 1200-1500. But I've been really good today even though I'm at home and that's sometimes a temptation to eat. My calories for today will only end up at about 1,100 and I'll try to do the same tomorrow. Resisting the urge to drop the other 11 eggs! :)

speedyfair 05-15-2010 01:18 PM

checking in

been having some trouble with my internet, so getting caught up on all the news, thank for all the coffe cups and diet cokes raised to support me

seems like everyone had a few hurdles this week and emotions play a BIg Huge reason for mindless eating. I splurged on Thurs, was my dad's 84th birthday and he wanted to go out for a steak dinner- ate 1/2 of my steak and 1/2 of the roll, but still was 2200 calories for the day. ditto patti & emily- why does every celebration have to be about food!

congrats to egmdobbs and montanacricket for hitting that new decade- such a motivator to keep going.

took my dog to a metro park and walked for 50 minutes, we have only been doing about 20 to 25 minutes 3-4 times a week. too funny, I was Ok, but he got to the car, jumped in and laid down on the back seat - and he usually is very active, maybe have to start slower for him lol

everyone keep hitting their goals this weekend- sounds like a great idea!

AJW7 05-15-2010 04:35 PM

I've only been using Fitday for a week. I see that most of your posts are pretty upbeat and positive. I need to lose 130 lbs. to get to my goal weight, 30 more if I want to get to my ideal weight, according to my doctor. I have been extremely sedentary for 10 plus years with severe degenerative spine (osteoarthritis) and degenerative disc disease. I also have a torn disc and a torn hip socket. They will not do surgery on the hip unless I lose 60 lbs. The surgeon has recommended gastric bypass surgery. I have never given myself a chance with regular diet and exercise, so I am trying to do that and not give up on myself. Because of my back and hip, I cannot exercise for long periods of time, but am currently up to walking 1.5 miles twice per day. Due to exercise limitations, I know I have to watch my calorie intake. That's where Fitday has been a good help. It is something to see how quickly things add up. It's also good though to see what I can munch on...I really enjoy cherry tomatoes, and even though they aren't fresh from the garden, they are extremely low in calories...same thing with a cucumber. I am finding that I can do this and one day soon I want to be able to stay positive. The constant pain does make it difficult to stay positive and upbeat and I am hopeful that this thread and you ladies can be an inspiration to me. Thank you for being here.