Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Marvelous May  in the 100 plus womens thread >

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Community
Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-30-2010, 08:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker

I'm struggling this morning with self forgiveness. The last 2 days I was waaaayyy over budget calorie wise. Which is totally understandable given that Friday was my grandmother's funeral, and yesterday was my husband's birthday. But I look at my food log and I think it would have been so much easier to face today if I just hadn't eaten this, this and that. I just have to keep reminding myself that I dropped an egg, but there is no reason to drop the other 78.
I think you are being hard on yourself, especially, in light of what you have been through, followed by a birthday. Both of my son's gave me See's candy for Mom's day and I held out for oh so long, but then on Thurs and Fri, I lost the battle. I ate well yesterday and am making a low cal pork stew, but am adding olive oil where I would have used pan spray. My weights the same roughly for the last few days and yes I do think, like you, if I hadn't had the run in, I might have been lower, but truth be known, I ate very well yesterday and didn't lose anything. But then there were a lot of nuts and I eat a lot of fiber, so you can catch my drift. I haven't exactly gotten my water where you all have because I am past menopause and there are problems with water, for some of us after that age.

But as usual, I am digressing. Please don't beat yourself up too much. Those days are gone and over and from your posts, the other eggs are still in the fridge. My biggest challenge on other plans that I have put myself on was the defeatest attitude, of which I know you are not; I am speaking of myself, and if I cheated, the whole thing was off the rocks, so to speak. My goal this time is to get in such a habit that if I have a day like that, I go back to eating normally. Someone mentioned the continental breakfasts and how bad they were or any buffet, in my "before" days, that would be my only meal because I knew it was bad for me. Today's almost gone and I bet you have done very well.

Jaynie
Old 05-30-2010, 08:50 AM
FitDay Member

OK, that is three times I have heard about asparagas this week--twice on here and my sister mentioned it with garlic too. I have always disliked its taste and the firm thing that I was going to stick to this time was to only eat food I liked, but you guys have made it sound so tasty that I will try it and get some when I go to the commissary.

What can I do with brussel sprouts--another food that's good to eat but is on my dislike list?

Jaynie
Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
I haven't exactly gotten my water where you all have because I am past menopause and there are problems with water, for some of us after that age.
If you are having "issues" with drinking too much water, try drinking 8oz of cranberry juice every morning. Some of those "issues" are actually caused by mild UTI's, which although asymptomatic can actually cause you to have the occasional accident. We keep cranberry juice in the house at all times for just such issues.

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
OK, that is three times I have heard about asparagas this week--twice on here and my sister mentioned it with garlic too. I have always disliked its taste and the firm thing that I was going to stick to this time was to only eat food I liked, but you guys have made it sound so tasty that I will try it and get some when I go to the commissary.

What can I do with brussel sprouts--another food that's good to eat but is on my dislike list?

Jaynie
Asparagus is awesome. But I'm partial to it, raise my own and will generally only eat it if I harvest it myself. I like it fresh from the earth and still warm from the sun, and yes it's fantastic on the grill. Before you buy any, check it to make sure the outer layer of the stalk is soft. If it's not soft, don't buy it, because the tough stuff is awful.

Brussels sprouts are awesome too. I like them sliced in half and tossed with a little olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and a dash of balsamic vinegar and sauteed for just a few minutes over high heat. They are also good left whole and boiled in salted water for 2 minutes, then you drain them and give them a spritz of spray butter. The trick with Brussels sprouts is not to overcook them, just cook them until they are a touch wilted, not soggy, limp or mushy.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:45 PM
FitDay Member

Proscuitto Asparagus- (the only way my dh will eat it)

lightly steam asparagus

dry off and wrap 1 thin slice of proscuitto around 2-3 stalks of asparagus
Place on cookie sheet
Finish rest of bundles

Place in oven at 350 degrees and cook till proscuitto is crispy!!

very tasty and good for company! easy quick and impressive looking

*can also make it on george foreman grill
Old 05-31-2010, 12:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hit the 80 pound mark this morning!!!! Whoo hooo hooooooo!!!! I'm only 1.5 pounds away from slipping under the "obese" stick, into plain old "40 pounds overweight". Very excited here, VERY!!!

I'm thinking about changing my avatar from "almeeker" to "poppy" because everything on me pops now when I move. It started with just my under arm flaps of skin and then my boobs, but now it's my um behind too. Hopefully that will tighten up some as I lose more weight. Good grief a girl that makes that much noise just walking can't sneak up on anybody.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:40 AM
FitDay Member

so I went on a 4 day vacation to visit my brother and nephews and was convinced in my mind that I was going to exercise every day and cook healthy meals. ergh. I exercised ONCE by convincing everyone to go kyaking with me, which was a blast! and a small amount of walking. I ate way over calorie budget every day I was there- 1800-2500. I jumped on the scale this morning and tok measurements to see the damage I did- and I've lost inches and lbs! I'm down two pounds and half an inch on my waist and hips, and FINALLY a quarter of an inch on each thigh (it's taking me forever to lose there!). It must have been all that baby-lifting and toddler wrestling!

really, though- I think it was because I was truly relaxed and happy, and I had kicked my butt at the gym for a few days before I went.

I'm so close to making it under 200, which has seemed so far away for such a long time. 6.2lbs to go. I've lost 29 lbs, so my goal for the next few weeks (or maybe for the whole month of june) is to break into the one hundreds and to hit over 35lbs lost!!! This is huge for me! This makes me feel like I'm never going to stop or give up, even during the weak times. Hey, I still tracked every single calorie on that trip- I'm not going to lie to my computer or to myself- that's a great habit i've built!
Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default happy memorial day

congrats almeeker- what a great way to go-

I was a little disappointed yesterday and today - really did good with the exercise and calories were way down yesterday under 900 but up 2 lbs on the scale It was hot and so busy yesterday I was not hungry, maybe it is a flucuation (hoping) and will try to get more water in today- planned a real healthy holiday lunch with my family. We are having 4oz filet mignon on the grill, and I am bring a big spinach salad with feta cheese and lots of veggies. Also having fresh strawberries.

hope everyone has a great day
Old 05-31-2010, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Morning everyone
The sun is finally out today...not a great weekend to do anything great. Saturday and Sunday all I wanted to do was crawl under the covers and either sleep or eat..so after trying to comfort myself with toast a few times (its been a long time since I ate bread) I made myself get up...get dressed and go to pottery studio. Its helping me alot. Ive been meeting some really nice ladies there and have made plans to meet up with them again this week. I come from a very small town where I knew everyone to a big city where I know noone..its hard to make friends. Scale was up a bit this morning...but I am going to work on it this week...I have a small goal before I leave to go on holidays in July...I will do it!
A long time ago someone told me how hard it is to lose weight in summertime...well I thought they were crazy! There is such a variety of fruits and veggies...healthy grilling available to you?? how can it be hard to lose. Well I sat down and really thought about it..and she was right. Every summer I gain weight. So I asked myself why?? and realized how much I can overeat in the summer. My last jobs I was always off in the summer. No structure..no plans,,,bored,,,overeating, Sound familiar..yup just like my weekends. Only its 2 months of it..not 2 days. This summer will be different. I dont want to go backwards... What is your plan for the summer?

Speedy dont be disappointed..you know you did well. Scales lie sometimes.
Nessa my overall goal is to get to under 200...good for you!!!
Almeeker (a.k.a. Poppy ...) you are rocking it ~!!!!! Under obese...wahoooo fantastic!
Jay did you try some asparagus yet?? Ive tried brussel sprouts but I think after reading Almeekers suggestions I overcooked them. I couldnt eat them but thought you had to cook the heck out of them. I may have to try them again.

Ive been trying to eat sweet poatoes for a long time. I know how good they are for you..I just cant get past the taste..well this weekend I found a recipe for baking them like twice baked potatoes..well Im going to try them again when I get the chance. It was a simple recipe..bake a potatoe , scoop out the flesh...add some light sourcream and bacon ( they used already cooked stuff, and just a touch) mix it together, stuff back inot potatoe and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake till cheese is melted...
does that not sound good!! mmmmm

Ok battery is about to die here....will be back tomorrow...have a great day eveyone!!!
Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

It sounds like everyone is doing really well this weekend!

Nessa - Way to go on being so close to the 100's...I guess we would call that a "century" instead of a "decade", right?!? Also, you probably were more active on your vacation than you thought, and I think you hit the nail on the head by saying that you were relaxed. Sometimes when you eat higher calories (like a cheat meal or cheat day), you will actually jump start your weight loss if you've been restricting for a long time because your metabolism will rev up.

Almeeker - 80 pounds! Wow, wow, wow! And slipping under the obese mark is awesome. Despite all the rewards of weight loss, that is probably the biggest accomplishment because it means you're getting healthier!

Jaynie - I love asparagus in almost any fashion, but probably the easiest thing to do is cut them into 2-inch pieces and stick them in one of those Ziploc steamer bags. Then I just sprinkle some salt before eating and YUM! But I've also grilled them, broiled them, baked them, blanched them, put them in omelets - "I will eat them in a box, I will eat them with a fox." I wish I could get good asparagus all year!

Speedy - It sounds like you are doing just fine - I'm sure your weight gain is just retention since it doesn't sound like you're eating a whole lot. Try to get your calories up a little today because 900 is quite low.

Twospirits - Welcome! The ladies on this board have helped me stay motivated over the last several weeks I've been on Fitday, and I've lost about 11 pounds in 5 weeks! You can do it, and we're all here to help!

I'm still doing really well this weekend. We didn't end up going to a pig roast potluck we had scheduled yesterday because it was too hot and buggy for my little guy and DH has been working on the family farm the whole weekend. So my eating was totally in check yesterday (save for one small lemon scone my mom made with tea last night!). And I got in a lot of activity because I chased after my son outside alot, cleaned out my car, did a bunch of housework, and did alot of toddler wrestling myself (it does burn lots of cals, Nessa!). I was way down on the scale this morning, so hopefully some of that loss will stick around until Thursday when I record my weight again!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

I have jsut realized that I do not think I am eatting enough! Ha Ha I never thought I would hear myself say that but I think it is true since the way I am working out and not eatting enough I am being told could cause this. As per weight watchers I should eat 30 points not including all the excerise I am doing and I am only eatting 20

I will try to track my eatting better and see what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.