Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Marvelous May  in the 100 plus womens thread >

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Community
Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 PM
FitDay Member

I can't say for sure on cardio or weights first. My time to workout is limited to 60 minutes at a stretch. I usually do cardio first because I use an elliptical and the kids are still asleep, well they are supposed to be only this morning my youngest is up and being a pain in the behind. If I have time left over then I do weights, or I wear my ankle/wrist weights.

I don't know why you guys thought my running around town in ankle weights was so funny. They are purple and black with a splash of hot pink and quite the fashion statement really. I'm a trendsetter yessiree. Well maybe I'm not, but that's what I always tell myself when I act like a dork. It's a good thing I didn't have on the 10 pound pair, those babies are like 8" tall and cover me from ankle to mid-calf and they are black as the ace of spades and make me sweat and walk like an elephant, thunk thunk thunk.

I'm totally cracking up over skinny at the gym, way to show smirky smirk!!! I get that sometimes too. When I lift, I'm not messing around, I grew up on a farm, I'm freakishly strong and build like a field stone outhouse. I can work most of the machines at maybe 1/2 way down the blocks, some even more. And you should see the young bucks who follow me. It's hilarious!!! The women who follow me are even funnier, because they usually grunt, squeal and cuss. One of the Staff members always makes jokes about it and immediately goes over to coach them so they don't get hurt. Last night I bench pressed with the machine set at 13. I could only lift it 5 times, so I backed off to 12 and finished my sets, but next time I'll do more at 13, just see if I don't.

Okay skinnye, let me get this straight... You've been drinking lots of water, sweating like a pig in 90 minute workout sessions and you don't understand why you're not peeing? I think if you took a day off from the workouts, you would find yourself on the potty quite a bit. You might want to up the water just a touch, so you do pee a little more, because clearly you are turning most of it into sweat. Hey, I just want to say you might give the elliptical another try, especially now that you've built up some muscle tone and stamina. I love it and what it's doing for my fanny. I tell you what they should change the name of it from "elliptical" to "fanny anti-gravity device", it's perked up the whole works back there. Whoo hooo hooo!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Ugh. Having an "off" week this week. I've developed a pain in my left side just under my ribs. Not sure if it's intestinal (youngest daughter was home Friday with stomach flu) but feels like your esophagus does when you eat food that is WAY too hot. Comes and goes. So I'm not eating much.

Skipped my workout yesterday due to simple exhaustion. Got back on this morning, but I'm just beat down tired.

It's been a heck of a week with softball games Mon-Wed and then a band concert (marathon) for both kids tonight. I'm off tomorrow for a long weekend and really am hoping that I pull out of this whatever-it-is.

Anyone else have PMS/period get way worse when working out? I know that most I've talked to indicate the opposite and I'm wondering when I should be concerned...
Old 05-27-2010, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Jaynie – Planks are done on my Yoga mat, or any padded surface. I have little callouses built up now, but if I started doing them on carpet I would have rug burns…just saying. So, get on all fours, rest your entire forearm on the ground, thumbs pointing forward. I have a stopwatch by me and very motivating music because these are HARD. When you’re ready (take several deep breaths) pop up off your knees and onto your toes. It’s like a push-up, with your back flat, your butt DOWN. Only rest on your forearms. You should be looking at your thumbs, not hanging your head. Hold it there for 60 seconds (hence the stopwatch). You should feel it in your abs, arms and legs. The first 2 weeks I did these I couldn’t get through them without shaking. I try to do 3-5 a night. After 1 minute, I then pop over onto one side, rest on my feet and one forearm and raise my body up. Lift your other arm toward the ceiling, aligned with your back and fingers facing the ceiling. Then repeat on the opposite side, holding each pose for 60 seconds on 3-5 reps. You can modify these by resting on knees if you need. If you Google “planks” you should be able to get a good image.
Gravediggers: Start in male pushup pose (modify to female if needed), but instead of hands on the ground, hold a set of hand weights. Alternating arms, lift one weight off the ground bringing it to your chest/armpit and releasing back down. Stay in pushup pose the entire time, just lifting the weights off the ground one side at a time. One turn on each arm counts as one. For example, I count it: left arm raised, right arm raised – ONE, left arm raised, right arm raised – TWO and so on.
Now, with the cardio first, your metabolism is already high. You’re warmed up and blood is pumping rapidly to your muscles. So, you’re going to stay rev’d throughout the strengthening. Also, because you’re already running hot, you’re less likely to injure yourself. Try a workout both ways and see which one makes you feel better. I know if I start with strengthening first, I don’t feel my muscles worked as much as when I do it after cardio. Then, just like Almeeker said, EAT PROTEIN. Your body will thank you.

Almeeker – I bump up to 200 oz today and def try the “fanny anti-gravity device” tonight. I am just so uncoordinated it’s ridiculous. WAY TO GO ON THE 13!!!! What other stuff are you doing to push through your plateau?

Chris – oh yea, I actually take Spiro the week before my cycle. My doc prescribed it for my PMS, water retention and carb cravings. I always heard that estrogen was stored in the fat cells, so burn fat and release estrogen… which can make even Glenda a little witchy. I find that exercise helps elevate my moods most of the time, so when PMS gets me down it’s more noticeable. I have noticed my cramps are a little stronger, but a little time on the treadmill or stationary bike helps to loosen their hold for a while. Oh, and drinking caffeine makes them worse – and since PMS makes us more tired, we are apt to drink MORE caffeine. And, um…. “flying to Ohio”… relieves menstrual symptoms too… even if it’s a, um… “solo flight.” Lol. I do notice that my cycles are heavier and longer.

Weighed in - I lost 4.7 of the 5 pounds I gained, which makes a gain of .3 pounds. Meh.

Last edited by SkinnyErinn; 05-27-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
Chris – oh yea, I actually take Spiro the week before my cycle. My doc prescribed it for my PMS, water retention and carb cravings. I always heard that estrogen was stored in the fat cells, so burn fat and release estrogen… which can make even Glenda a little witchy. I find that exercise helps elevate my moods most of the time, so when PMS gets me down it’s more noticeable. I have noticed my cramps are a little stronger, but a little time on the treadmill or stationary bike helps to loosen their hold for a while. Oh, and drinking caffeine makes them worse – and since PMS makes us more tired, we are apt to drink MORE caffeine. And, um…. “flying to Ohio”… relieves menstrual symptoms too… even if it’s a, um… “solo flight.” Lol. I do notice that my cycles are heavier and longer.
SE, What is Spiro?

I'm glad to find someone else who has worsened symptoms--not that I'm glad you suffer too, but I am just blown away at how much worse I feel than I used to.

"flying to Ohio"
Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by montanacricket
SE, What is Spiro?

I'm glad to find someone else who has worsened symptoms--not that I'm glad you suffer too, but I am just blown away at how much worse I feel than I used to.

"flying to Ohio"
Spiro is a diuretic (sp?) that is pretty powerful stuff. I pee like crazy when I am on it, and it requires me to up my electrolytes or can lead to muscle cramps. It's pretty powerful stuff, and if you Google it, you will read a lot of dangers, etc. But, you also will read a lot of scary stuff if you Google "Tylenol." I only take it 7 days out of the month (like I said, the week before my period, when I am bloated, craving lots of carbs, etc.). It somehow stablizes my moods and curbs my carb cravings so I can function easier. Just a word though, the week that I use it I have a larger than normal loss, but it's all the retained water... so it's not a believable number. If you have insurance, ask your doctor about it. My doc prescribed it when she diagnosed my PMS.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Erinn, for the explanation. I could never do planks. I just learned that I can run in place if I bring my feet straight up and down and not kick back as most people do. I probably could with practice, but for when I get back into my dvd's, that will be enough. Usually, you have to have special feet for running. I can do the other two though or I can try them.

All day yesterday I was thinking that I would be going to the commissary and almost went in the afternoon, something I never do because it is too crowded and slows me down, after my doctor appt. Then I realized I hadn't eaten all day because I didn't know if I would have to take labs or not so that was the reason that I was willing to go to the commissary.

Well last night I couldn't go to sleep and my usual cup of warm milk and oatmeal didn't help. I was up reading a book about what foods to eat to lose weight and I had two servings of 100 cal popcorn wihch wasn't bad because I still wasn't over my upper limit that I have set. My son sent me a two pound box of See's and it arrived two days ago. I hadn't touched it and I thought maybe I will just have six and pushed them together so that they were the size of one candy bar, so I imagined. One chocolate Hershey's is only 210 cals right. Course these were taller in size and made with all kinds of delectable items. I chewed them slowly and gave my dog treats as she was watching my every bite and chew. Well about an hour later, I ate five more in the same fashion and then at 4:44 this morning, I ate five more. So needless to say, I was totally demotivated on going to the commissary this morning and I still felt full; although the book said that you are to eat b'fast within two hours of rising, which I knew but have never done. Today was supposed to be my day at furthering this journey and turning over yet another new leaf. I got on the scale timidly and low and behold, I weighed the same as yesterday. Ladies, that's the time when you're glad that scale hasn't moved. So, with four not so good days and three good days, one where I lost nothing, I have lost 22.8lbs. I zoomed around that commissary. Well not zoomed, but you catch my drift. I was only getting all cold and frozen but it over filled my cart because I only shop once a month and am trying for every two to see how it works. I've got a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables, which I never cared for or took the time for, whichever the case.

Right now, I am reading posts and having my coffee and taking a break before bringing them in the house. I don't know if this breakfast thing will ever kick in with me because it is not a habit that I had continued from childhood. I feel good. I always work up a sweat when I "do" the commissary and they ask me am I OK when I am unloading the cart and sweat is running down my face. I bring paper towels. Due to my disability, I expend anywhere from 80-200% extra in calorie burn just from walking.

Three good days, four bad days, 2.8lbs lost this week.

Last edited by Jaybrodz; 05-27-2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

4 lbs lost for me this week which brings me to 260lbs Oh and I wasn't up once to pee last night I was up THREE count 'em THREE times! LOL

Well I'm off to walk to Shopko to return something 1.4 miles each way with a little wander around the store time thrown in too
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

Good for you, eeb--four lbs. Yah.

I have just come to a conclusion that I probably should have come to a long time ago and I probably have read it somewhere before and don't remember, but after my morning trip to the commissary and believe me, that is exercise for me and bringing them all in and putting them away, I am not hungry. I haven't eaten yet today; I know, I know, I should have but remember I had all that candy last night. Does anyone else find that exercise decreases appetite. I arrived at the commissary at 8:15 and here it is just before one and I am just starting to feel the slight pangs of hunger to which I am going to answer now. Just curious. I know I never used to eat after PT, but I didn't think about such things because I was 160lbs, which was an 8/10 for my height. And I could do what I did last night and I would automatically adjust or whatever to keep my weight the same with not thinking. Am I making sense? In other words, it wasn't a conscious effort, but then I hadn't lost ten to fifteen percent of my body, been through menopause and wasn't the same age as I am now.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default checking in

wow- so may great friends on here, it is so motivating to read all the posts and you ladies make me laugh for the last half hour lol

I was so rooting for you skinny to make that guy put his eyes back in his head- great going- thanks from all of us

and almeeker - great job at the gym -its a wonderful feeling when it show.

like most of you - although I don't have children still finding time to work out, take care of the house, my parents, and my pets is sometimes a tough schedule so I love the idea of the wrist weights. I actually bought a 3lb dumbell last night as the walking is helping with my legs (and Butt!) but not my arms so thought I could use it while on the computer and watching TV or such- again multi-tasking lol

love the comment about the cult- lol was so funny but it's true the more I have lost and the better I'm feeling and loving the new clothes the more I want to do and push myself harder. Still trying to reach my goal to get to 240 by the end of the month @ 243 so I will be close if anything. Must have a great weekend and the thought of being close to my goal will (i hope) keep me on track through the holiday.

water bottle raised to those who get up at night !! lol
Old 05-27-2010, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

Hey what is up Speedyfair? What pets do you have. I am a fellow pet lover and I know how time consuming, challenging and hard it can be being in the sandwich generation. My mother had dementia and my father had terminal cancer and although my single sister was the primary caretaker, I visited to give her respite as much as I could.

Jaynie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.