Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Marvelous May  in the 100 plus womens thread >

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Community
Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

This week's weight loss - I lost 3 pounds since last Thursday. I cheated a little and weighed in on Saturday... so, I've lost 2 pounds since last Saturday. That makes my total lost to 164! Woot woot! 116 until goal. Loving life... off to exercise.

Quick tip for you busy moms - I did my free weight strength training on my arms this evening while cooking dinner. Biceps, shoulder press, door knobs, side arm raises, triceps... 3 sets of 10. I was making turkey burgers, so I did a set, flipped the burgers, did a set, got the bread ready, did a set. All done before dinner was even ready!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
This week's weight loss - I lost 3 pounds since last Thursday. I cheated a little and weighed in on Saturday... so, I've lost 2 pounds since last Saturday. That makes my total lost to 164! Woot woot! 116 until goal. Loving life... off to exercise.

Quick tip for you busy moms - I did my free weight strength training on my arms this evening while cooking dinner. Biceps, shoulder press, door knobs, side arm raises, triceps... 3 sets of 10. I was making turkey burgers, so I did a set, flipped the burgers, did a set, got the bread ready, did a set. All done before dinner was even ready!
I love this idea!!!! Although I think I should probably get some strap on wrist weights, because knowing me I would cunk myself in the head with the free weights and burn dinner while I lay on the floor in a blurred state of confusion. Can't you just see it?

I noticed yesterday that you now only have to lose 10 pounds 12 times instead of 13 times. You go baby!!! I'm on the verge of crossing over a decade mark, so I'm determined to behave myself this weekend.

patti, yep right off I got laughter over my weekend goals, but it was actually a serious list. I'm a happily married woman, and that ain't no accident. There's a little tension in my household if you know what I mean, and for the benefit of my own health and the happiness factor in my marriage, I mean to remedy that. I even got a sleepover at grandma's lined up, hehehe...
Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 AM
FitDay Member

I read Patti's post about starting a new thread on the old thread, but I'll be darned if I could find the new one so I posted on the old thread yesterday. I'll cut & paste it over here in a sec.

I remember hiking apples They were so good! We made ours with raisins, too. I loved being in the brownies & GS but whenever I see the little cuties now I'm afraid that all I see are miniature pushers -- it can't be helped it's just the cookie addict in me. LOL. I don't care for the lower calorie ones, I think their called Daisy Rounds or something but OMG the Thin Mints--Okay stop thinking about thin mints. Think about hiking apples instead.

egmdobbs: I'm so glad that your ds is feeling better. I don't think there's anything worse than when your child is sick. WTG on throwing out the rest of your bag! The next time you're tempted to buy a bag you'll have that memory to help you to resist the urge.

SkinnyErin: Congrats on the 3 pounds this week & 164! WOW! That's a good idea about exercising while you're cooking. My nose is usually in a book when making something that has short pauses but I'm going to do some exercises instead of reading.

Almeeker: Don't you love seeing your gardens all tidy in Spring? They always make me smile b/c I know that shortly there will be a riot of colors & scents. It's like looking at Christmas presents as a kid. We have gardens all around most of our house, too. Lots of work. Your weekend goal cracked me up! A friend of mine used to put her 'to do' list on her fridge and one day I saw that she'd written 'to do' her dh. You guys are so funny

Patti-that's such a good idea about the weekend goals thread -- mine is always the same (don't eat more than my calorie allotment *my mantra) but if I change it I'll join you guys.

I hope everyone has a wonderful & healthy weekend!
Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default cut & paste

Good morning ladies,
Well you guys simply rock!! I just finished reading all the posts & am SO impressed! Congrats to all of you on such good work. WTG!
VaVaVoom SkinnyErin! Love your blog!
Almeeker:
Quote:
10/25/10 (the 14th anniversary of my 28th birthday)
ROTFLMAO almeeker! Not your goal, I know you'll attain your goal - it's the anniversary of your 28th-you crack me up girl. Congrats on doing excellent! Hey-how's your garden coming along? I've FINALLY recovered from the records lows & gotten back on track with new plants in the ground.

Dh & I started P90 on our anniversary (our 38th!) so as a gift to each other we keep each other on track since both of us are couch taters by night & computer jockies by day & slugs by nature. Since I had sustained major injuries last time I tried to do P90, this time I'm being verrrrrrrry careful. The good news is with the heavy workout I have to eat more calories to maintain my metabolism (up to 1500 from 1200)...the bad news is that the additional 300 calories are mostly lean protein and not cupcakes. Like last time, I'm gaining muscle so there's been a temporary weight gain, but inches are being lost in places and gained in others where the muscles are being used the most. So I'm not freaking out like I did last time the scales moved in the wrong direction, I know that soon my body will level out & I'll lose again. I'm quite a bit lighter than the last time, BMI is about 20% less, so it's not as painful as it was the last time either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christineval View Post
Hey all,

You guys are all doing so well! I can not wait until I can say that I am losing weight as well. I have no idea what is going on since I have never in my life worked out 5 days a week minimum for min 45 minutes each day and yet I have still not lost any weight!. I am more carefull with what I am eatting and feel that jsut the big improvement of working out 5 days a week should show something since it has been since the end of February!

I am trying not to get to down and I know the wrong thing to do would be to give up but it is very frustrating since I am 250 and want to get to 140 and do not see anything happening lol.

I need nelp please anyone lol sorry to be so negative.
Hey, (hug) I have been EXACTLY where you're at & as hard as I worked no one else but me believed me. Even my doc thought that I wasn't being truthful. I wanted to strangle her scrawny little neck! What I found was a unique inner strength & it built my self esteem. The other thing I found out was that my body will not lose weight if I eat certain foods. I stalled and even gained weight eating grains & starchy food on a 1200 cal a day plus an hour a day workout plan. It was evil. Very evil.
Try this: avoid a certain food while maintaining a good pro-carb-fat ratio and stay in your same calorie range. Keep everything the same except adjust the types of foods for 1 to 2 weeks at a time. Try staying away from grain (rice, wheat, rye, barley, etc - including all things made with them, pasta, flour, breadings, all breads, etc) for 7 to 14 days and see if the scale moves. If no change then try eliminating another type of food. Since this discovery I've met others who have the same problem so here's a list of some of the other foods people said kept them from losing weight: nuts, dairy, red meat, grains, starchy food (potatoes, etc) sugar, sugar substitutes, fruits that are high on the glycemic index. There are probably more. It's weird, but maybe our bodies are just overly sensitive to one or more of these things. When I eat grains it's water weight gain if I just have a little of them since 3 days after I've eaten it the weight usually goes away, but I don't lose any actual weight for a while afterward - I'm totally stalled at that weight for a week or so, if I eat too much of it I will gain weight & it doesn't come off as if it's water. So maybe it's food allergies or food sensitivities or maybe just a curse. that some of us have. But anyways, do try it, it might just be the ticket for you, too.
Also I agree, be sure to measure yourself at least 1X a month. Last month I lost 4 inches in my hips and since I average 1 pound a week I must have lost all the weight on my hips (none of the other measurements changed. I mean our bodies are weird sometimes.) Instead of feeling that same frustration over working so hard and having so little gain (or loss rather) I was over the moon happy with the results. Keep your head up and shoulders back - you're learning what your body needs & what things work & don't work for you. It's a process, so hang tight, you can do it!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

I never intended to be one of those women that lies about her age, but on my 29th birthday, as required by office law, I took doughnuts to work. The woman that I sat next to was about my mother's age. Three bites into the doughnut she asked how old I was, and I told her the truth. She was adamant that I could not possibly 29, because she, was 36!!! 36 my big white behind. So I ended up having to lie about my age because my mentor lied about hers. It was all very funny, and I keep it that way because she was such a good influence in my career. So, in honor of Diane I no longer celebrate my birthday, I celebrate the anniversary of my 28th. My middle child drew this picture of the whole family when she was about 5, over the top she wrote everybody's name and age, mine says "mommy 28". I framed it.

desertmountain congrats on starting up P90X again. That's a big step. My nephew has a copy that I've been trying to borrow for a couple of months, just to see what it's like before I shell out any money. I'm starting the garden this weekend. Next week is supposed to be really nice weather, which has been a little scarce this Spring. I can't wait!!! Your friend's list is absolutely hilarious! It reminds me of this one time I got a huge bruise on my leg like the size and color of an eggplant, I have no idea how it happened, and it didn't hurt, so I wasn't really thinking about it and stupidly wore shorts. A friend of mine saw it was was like "OMG! What did you do?". And all I could say was "my husband". Too funny.

Christineval, sorry to hear it's going so slowly for you. I agree with the advice of desertmountain, an elimination diet might offer some clues. I had to do that with my DD when she was little . It's tedious, but very helpful.

Well I gotta go get the little devils, um I mean sweet children, from school.

Last edited by almeeker; 05-14-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

well ..because I am blind in one eye and can't see outta the other apparently ....I posted over at the other thread because I didn't see this one for May...lol I hope you'll take a spin over there and read my post...just to introduce myself ....

Sandy
Old 05-15-2010, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome aboard Sandy, I read your other post and I'm already glad to meet you. I'd type more, but I promised myself I would weed those flower beds this weekend, and it's now or never.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:35 AM
FitDay Member

Hey ladies!

Almeeker - I am turning 28 in July (really, I swear I'm not lying!) and it's got me a little shaken up realizing I'm getting closer and closer to 30. Maybe I'll use your trick when my 29th rolls around!

Desertmountain - Congrats on starting P90X! You'll have to post some before and after pictures when you get further into it - I'm very interested to see if it works like they say it does!

SkinnyErinn - awesome workout idea! I really should be more proactive about fitting in small workouts here and there. I'm very much an "all or nothing" person. If I can't get in at least 20-30 minutes of a good workout, I feel like it's pointless so I just don't do anything. I need to take a hint from you and realize that doing anything for any amount of time is better than absolutely nothing!

Almeeker - I noticed you're getting awfully close to your next decade - congrats! Stay strong this weekend!

As an update on my weekend goals, I did overdo it a little at our team meeting yesterday afternoon. I really wish that every staff meeting didn't revolve around unhealthy food, because it's so difficult to resist the temptation in a social setting! I had a small piece of sub sandwich (think 1/2 a 6-inch), a handful of chips, and a clementine. I thought I was doing really well, but then my boss brought out a big cake and mini candy bars. Ugh! I had a piece of cake and a mini candy bar, d'oh! I came home and recorded it all on Fitday and with liberal calorie and portion size estimates, I ended up at about 2,200 calories yesterday, and I've been trying to stick to 1200-1500. But I've been really good today even though I'm at home and that's sometimes a temptation to eat. My calories for today will only end up at about 1,100 and I'll try to do the same tomorrow. Resisting the urge to drop the other 11 eggs!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:18 PM
FitDay Member

Default checking in

been having some trouble with my internet, so getting caught up on all the news, thank for all the coffe cups and diet cokes raised to support me

seems like everyone had a few hurdles this week and emotions play a BIg Huge reason for mindless eating. I splurged on Thurs, was my dad's 84th birthday and he wanted to go out for a steak dinner- ate 1/2 of my steak and 1/2 of the roll, but still was 2200 calories for the day. ditto patti & emily- why does every celebration have to be about food!

congrats to egmdobbs and montanacricket for hitting that new decade- such a motivator to keep going.

took my dog to a metro park and walked for 50 minutes, we have only been doing about 20 to 25 minutes 3-4 times a week. too funny, I was Ok, but he got to the car, jumped in and laid down on the back seat - and he usually is very active, maybe have to start slower for him lol

everyone keep hitting their goals this weekend- sounds like a great idea!
Old 05-15-2010, 04:35 PM
FitDay Member

I've only been using Fitday for a week. I see that most of your posts are pretty upbeat and positive. I need to lose 130 lbs. to get to my goal weight, 30 more if I want to get to my ideal weight, according to my doctor. I have been extremely sedentary for 10 plus years with severe degenerative spine (osteoarthritis) and degenerative disc disease. I also have a torn disc and a torn hip socket. They will not do surgery on the hip unless I lose 60 lbs. The surgeon has recommended gastric bypass surgery. I have never given myself a chance with regular diet and exercise, so I am trying to do that and not give up on myself. Because of my back and hip, I cannot exercise for long periods of time, but am currently up to walking 1.5 miles twice per day. Due to exercise limitations, I know I have to watch my calorie intake. That's where Fitday has been a good help. It is something to see how quickly things add up. It's also good though to see what I can munch on...I really enjoy cherry tomatoes, and even though they aren't fresh from the garden, they are extremely low in calories...same thing with a cucumber. I am finding that I can do this and one day soon I want to be able to stay positive. The constant pain does make it difficult to stay positive and upbeat and I am hopeful that this thread and you ladies can be an inspiration to me. Thank you for being here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.