Notices

Work It Out For the Wedding

Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
FitDay Member

Talking Work It Out For the Wedding

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself - I just started Fitday and am liking it so far - writing down food in a diary is much different than seeing it laid out for you with the nutritional value. A little about myself: I am getting married next year, so as most brides, I'm trying to get fit. But that's just part of it. Over the past 6 years I've gained 60 pounds and am ready to bust out my bikini again (I live in Hawaii, so it's seriously a bummer). I'm ready to kick my butt and changes my lifestyle and am stoked that there seems to be a good online community here. Who knows if I can really lose 60 pounds in a year, but I figure my goal needs to be high enough to inspire me to action.

I started doing Jillian Michaels Shred - just to kickstart getting used to working out regularly and am hoping to branch out after the first month.

Wondering if there are any brides that trying to get their butts into gear as well.

Aloha!

Weight lost this week: -
Total weight lost: -
Goal Weight: 150 lbs
Goal Date: June 4, 2011
Mini Goal: 175 by Thanksgiving
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM
FitDay Member

Hi hawaiiadobo!

Welcome to FitDay and good for you for starting this journey! Losing 60 lbs in one year sounds very realistic to me, that means you have to lose just a little above one pound per week. 1 pound equals roughly 3500 calories, so you would have to follow a daily calorie restriction of about 500 per day (500 times 7 = 3500), meaning you should burn 500 calories more than you consume. I hope that all makes sense, but it's really not rocket science and totally doable, especially with the help of the forums (you will meet so many great, supportive people on the individual threads!!) and the food diary. Besides caloric restriction it's obviously important what you eat and how you burn what you've eaten. When I first started out I was advised to eat about 45% of carbohydrates, 35% of protein and no more than 20% of fat. I'm still struggling with getting my proteins up, but it's a fairly good guideline.
As far as workout is concerned, one of the best things I found is: whenever you can, take your bike instead of your car!!! And I love swimming - it's such a great all-body-workout and it really tones up your thighs.

Ugh, this has been rather long...

I hope, you don't mind me blurting away and this helps a little.

Best of luck for your journey,
Molly

Last edited by MollySue2; 06-11-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
FitDay Member

Just wanted to say hi and welcome! 60 lbs in a year is definitely do-able. It sounds like you have a great attitude and a good plan, so you'll do great! Best of luck. =)
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 PM
FitDay Member

Hey

I am getting married on teh 23rd July this year I only have about 5-6 weeks left to more into shape so my dress looks good on the day, and my bikini looks good for my honey moon! I am 168 pounds and want to get down to about 154 so thats about 3 pounds a week which is alot really. Im running twice a week and trying to generally eat less food, especially at night time when I crave it the most! You can def do it, this log thing seems really good. Im English though so the American food thing can be dissicult sometimes as we call it different names! Good luck

x
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM
FitDay Member

Hi I noticed you joined in April, have you lost any weight over the last 2 months and has the fit log helped you? I just joined today x
Old 06-11-2010, 02:57 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not engaged yet (but hope to be at some point soon since my boyfriend and I have been together for over three years and we talk about it all the time)

One of the main reasons I decided to join fitday and take an active roll in actually changing my life style is for my wedding of which isn't even in sight yet! I figured the earlier I start, the easier and less stressful it would be in the future. I need to loose another 50 pounds still (down about 20 now).

I want to look wicked HOT in all my wedding photos that will last forever...and now is a good time as ever to start achieving my goal.

So I'm right there with you! We can and will look hot for our wedding dates! (Even though I don't even have one yet!!!!)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hey luckygirl15, you are lucky that you and your bf have been talking about it. We never really did, so the proposal was a real surprise (even though we've been together for 8 years). I wish I started this process sooner, but better now than never eh?

I definitely don't want love handles from 8 years of loving present on my wedding day.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM
FitDay Member

You are going to get there! Just stick to the supports you find here, drink tons of water and you can't fail! WELCOME!
Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome to the party Five pounds a month is totally doable, but it's gonna get harder the closer you get to the wedding date. That's partly because the last 10-15 pounds always go slower, and partly you're gonna feel stressed. So it's great to start now, get in the habit of exercising to relieve stress instead of scarfing junk food.