Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Marvelous May  in the 100 plus womens thread >

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Community
Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
FitDay Member

While researching liposuction today, I read that smoking INCREASES cellulite... anyone else heard this!? So weird since I always thought that women GAINED weight when they stopped smoking.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Sandy\'s50
Good morning everyone..this is my first time in here...I just joined fitday a few days ago so I am slowly beginning to get my way around the forums. I have the next week off from work for Vacation time..but not going anywheres..just gonna relax here at home ( yeah right )..lol. ! Anyways..I am turning 50 yrs old on the 16th (tomorrow) eeep! I have decided its time to look after " me " more!

I have a lot of weight to lose...but I have to make shorter goals as little steps towards the overall..so as to not become overwhelmed or throw in the towel out of frustrations. On another note..I am fairly comfortable with being a larger woman..I do not want to get skinny..I want to get healthy and shed off some extra's that I just really dont need to be packing around on me anymore. So right now..although I could deffinately lose 100 lbs...I have started with trying to get 30 lbs off first. I am currently at 22 lbs down. I AM HAPPY TO BE HERE !

Has anyone heard of Michael Thurman's 6 Week Body Makeover? Thats what I am trying to go by...its made a lot of perfect sense to me...its gonna take me more than 6 weeks ..but the concept is what is jazzing me up !

Good luck to everyone here on your journeys and goals...hope to hear from ladies here !!

Hugs around the room !!
Sandy
Welcome! So glad to have you here working on your goals with us. Congrats on the 22 pounds down, that is AMAZING work Sister!!! Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!
I haven't heard of Michael Thurman's program, could you describe it for me?
Old 05-16-2010, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

I lost two pounds this week (which is a lot more than I have been losing)! That brings my total up to 25 lost- 75 more to go!

also- thought you guys might be interested in this site:
How Many Pounds? How Many Calories?

it tells you what your weight loss or weight loss goals are equivalent to calorie-wise.

so far, my weight loss is equivalent to saying no to 271 snickers bars! It just really puts in in perspective and makes me feel wonderful.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hello

Hi Everyone. This is my third time trying FitDay. I did not use forums before. I always go way off the chart eating wise and get tired of posting as my weight goes up and up. I restarted this time April 22. I have been trying so hard, but I need help. I keep forgetting why I am doing this. I like food, I love food, eating is comfort. Any way I need support. Help, anyone?? I've never particapated in a forum, so I don't even know if I can figure it out. I repell technology. I just read that Bob from the Biggest Loser said it's ok to pig out once a week.?? What is a trackback?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

I was invited to join this forum so I thought I would give it a try. I am not very familiar with forums so I'm not sure of what I am doing. But I finanlly lost one more pound I was stuck on 227 forever but at least I didn't give up this time. Talk to you all later!!!!
Chloe
Old 05-16-2010, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

egmdobbs, sorry about your lunch meeting disaster, I had similar trouble with Mother's Day. The worst part wasn't the calories, it was the following 3 days of fighting horrible cravings, hopefully you aren't the carboholic that I am. Good luck sister!! And do you want to know a secret? My 30's were a lot of fun, and the 40's ain't too shabby neither. I love having people be shocked by my age, I seriously get jaws dropping open when I admit how old I really am. Can't say why for sure because I think I look every minute of my 41 years, I certainly feel it most days! Don't be too stressed about the big three oh, embrace it, enjoy it. Oh and thanks for the decade cheer, I crossed over this morning, 169.3!!!! Whooo hooo hooo!

speedyfair, sorry to hear about the birthday splurge, but still 2200 isn't too bad. Sometimes you gotta eat steak with dad and that's all there is to it. I seriously do not know why every celebration revolves around food. I'm totally cracking up about your dog!!! LOL, I can just picture it. Reminds me of this story I saw on TV about a woman that went on a diet because her vet diagnosed her dog with obesity. She realized that her poor lifestyle was affecting her dog negatively. We can't say the same for your dog, now can we?

Welcome to the forum AJW7!! We're a fun bunch if I don't say so myself. Sorry to hear about all your medical issues, I have a handful myself so I can feel your pain quite literally. I also have degenerative disc disease, although I don't suffer from any pain with it - yet. I was diagnosed with it 25 years ago, which was fortunate for me because I've been able to take calcium and iron supplements for all that time. I also have what can loosely be called a "rebuilt" knee, which really hurts when it's going to rain (like it's supposed to tomorrow). I think your walking program sounds fantastic. It sounds like you don't think of walking as exercise, but seriously of all the people I know the ones in the very best shape all walk daily. So it is good exercise, and it's worth the time and trouble to do it, so keep it up and you'll reach your goal in no time, and very probably without gastric bypass. I love cherry tomatoes too, in fact I'm going to plant some today...

Originally Posted by SkinnyErinn
While researching liposuction today, I read that smoking INCREASES cellulite... anyone else heard this!? So weird since I always thought that women GAINED weight when they stopped smoking.
I'm not surprised by that, smoking does a lot of really bad stuff to your body. I know that smoking + birth control pills makes you look older, so I suppose that some of that could be from cellulite.

Originally Posted by NessaSonic
I lost two pounds this week (which is a lot more than I have been losing)! That brings my total up to 25 lost- 75 more to go!

it tells you what your weight loss or weight loss goals are equivalent to calorie-wise.

so far, my weight loss is equivalent to saying no to 271 snickers bars! It just really puts in in perspective and makes me feel wonderful.
You're killing me, I love Snickers bars!!! Too much.

Originally Posted by terriphillips417
Hi Everyone. This is my third time trying FitDay. I did not use forums before. I always go way off the chart eating wise and get tired of posting as my weight goes up and up. I restarted this time April 22. I have been trying so hard, but I need help. I keep forgetting why I am doing this. I like food, I love food, eating is comfort. Any way I need support. Help, anyone?? I've never particapated in a forum, so I don't even know if I can figure it out. I repell technology. I just read that Bob from the Biggest Loser said it's ok to pig out once a week.?? What is a trackback?
Is Bob the skinny trainer guy? I think once I reach my goal I will probably diet during the week and take weekends off. I don't know about the "pig-out" once a week if your actively trying to lose weight, it could take 4-5 days just to work off a bad pig out, so you'd be almost to your next pig-out day before you got past the last one.

Terriphillips good luck surviving the beginning of a diet, it's always the hardest part for me. Once I get past the first 4-6 weeks, it gets a little easier. Stick with it, you be so glad you did.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to all the new people!!! I will be back later today to catch up with everyone but wanted to address the Bob from Biggest Loser comment...
I watch Biggest Loser faithfully and saw the episode where he and Jillian told the contestants that a good plan to follow is to have a couple of lower calorie days...then a couple of higher calorie days. Some people on here are following that plan and its working for them. BUT I would be shocked if he said to pig out once a week. Having done that myself in the past I know its just a vicious cycle of losing,,,gaining,,then losing those same pounds you lost all over again all due to one day of overindulging.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by terriphillips417
I think maybe a cheat meal would be better. Then get right back on plan THAT DAY. If you cut back on the junk that triggers your pig outs the most, you cravings will be significantly less in a couple of weeks, then even less in a month. I feel so much stronger (will-poer wise, and physically) now that I've been mostly off refined sugary junk for a couple of months. Every once in a while I'll have a craving, but it's completely manageable. There is always candy and cake hanging around my office, but I haven't given in once at work since I started that job over two months ago. Now it's more of a personal pride that I don't touch junk at work. You'll find a lot of support here, but the biggest change will come from yourself. I've been frequenting these boards every day for the last couple of months to keep up motivation though, which seems to be working.

also- get in the habit of working out a little every day. Just do it. Don't think about it long enough to talk yourself out of it. Now I love going to the gym (I joined a rather expensive, but really nice one AFTER I got into the exercise habit at home so I knew all my money wouldn't be wasted. at home workout is fantastic too! like the biggest loser dvd's, taebo, free weights, walking, jogging, mini trampolines, dancing around your house in your underwear, anything. even vigorous cleaning!). Also, even if you're having a bad day calorie-wise, don't let it affect your workout. Still workout. Exercising helps balance blood sugar, endorphins, neurotransmitters, etc. It literally keeps you healthy 24/7 when you're not working out AND fights depression and mood swings. I am so much happier now than I was 25 lbs ago, and it's not all about the weight.

Also- take progress pics and measure yourself! The scale isn't everything. it changes from day to day because of fluids and muscle gain/loss (although it takes a while for muscle gain).

good luck!
Old 05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome Terri, Chloe, and Sandy! I'm pretty new too, only been here about 3 weeks.

I think Bob from Biggest Loser probably means "cheat meal", not necessarily a whole day. When I used to be hardcore into amateur bodybuilding (hard to believe now, huh?! I ate an extremely strict diet of lots of lean protein and complex carbs and lifted weights about 1.5 hours per day. But in all the research my DH and I did about weightlifting, most sources recommended an "cheat meal" once a week because it makes your metabolism speed up to process all the input of food, then when you go right back to restricting, your metabolism continues to run on high for a while and burn calories more effectively for 1-2 days after the cheat meal (which would explain why you're so hungry after a day when you overeat!). Not to mention the mental break it gives you from dieting.

I definitely had my "cheat meal" tonight, which was not good considering Friday wasn't great either. DH really wanted steak and oven fries (which I made with sweet potatoes and olive oil for me). I ate a super lean cut of meat and the sweet potato fries, but I just ate too much of a good thing. Right around 2,000 calories for the day. I've only lost about a pound this week so far, and I'm just hoping it doesn't creep back on before my weigh-in day on Wednesday. Even though I'll be really hungry tomorrow, I need to just drink lots of water and fill up on veggies! I did get a workout in today - we spent an hour and a half canoeing Class 2 rapids, so no relaxing riding the current today! We were paddling hard the whole time and my arms are sore tonight. Then we spent 3 hours this afternoon walking around an outdoor flea market - not cardio really, but not sitting on the couch either!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NessaSonic

This is too freaking cool! My weight loss is the same as:
Cutting 574,000 calories is the same as saying "no" to:
7,175 apples, or
5,740 bananas, or
33,765 cups of cabbage (whew!), or
3,959 baked potatoes, or
7,175 large eggs, or
4,783 cups of 2% milk, or
414 pounds of ground beef, or
6,598 glasses of wine, or
1,777 Snickers bars, or
2,392 Clif Bars ( 3,189 Luna Bars), or
4,129 cans of Coke, or
3,376 pints of Guinness beer, or
1,167 Big Macs, or
1,115 Quarter Pounders with Cheese, or
820 Whoppers, or
1,739 Subway 6" Oven Roasted Chicken Breast sandwiches, or
3,376 Taco Bell crunchy tacos, or
2,443 slices of pepperoni pizza from Pizza Hut
What it Takes to Burn 574,000 Calories
To burn 574,000 calories, a 190 pound male would have to:

Backpack for 950 hours (40 days) nonstop, or
Walk for 2,199 hours (92 days) at 3 mph straight, or
Walk 6,598 miles (4,124 kilometers), or
Bike for 1,664 hours (69 days) at 10 mph, or
Bike 16,638 miles (10,399 kilometers), or
Play basketball nonstop for 915 hours 38 days), or
Play billiards for 2,657 hours (111 days), or
Go bowling for 2,216 hours (92 days), or
Stay on the golf course for 1,664 hours (69 days), or
Spend 740 hours (31 days) playing competitive football, or
Jump rope for 699 hours (29 days) straight!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.