Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Marvelous May  in the 100 plus womens thread >

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Community
Notices

Marvelous May in the 100 plus womens thread

Old 05-23-2010, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Small Steps

Thank you so much for the welcome!

So as I mentioned this is just the very begining of my journey and I found myself taking a small step in the right direction... Last night I talked openely with some of my friends about my weight and that I'm actually starting to work on a change. I would never have done that before and I look at it as kind of signing a contract-the more people that know the more accountable I am. The fact the the words "Two Hundred and Sixty Four Pounds" left my mouth in public is still kind of baffeling to me but you know it was kind of liberating
Old 05-23-2010, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Just checking in, I've missed you guys the last 2 days. GS Camp was a lot of fun, and grit and bad food. I did okay food wise, was over a little yesterday, but considering the trash they fed the kids, I did very well. It was really funny because many of the moms in our group are overweight, so I knew they were watching what I ate. One even read quite a few of the labels on the things I brought. The kids had fun and will most certainly want to go again next year, and I got a little closer to some of the moms in the group, so all in all a very good weekend.

Well it was good until I got home, my grandma died this morning. She broke her hip a month ago, and that was just an awful lot to expect an 88 year old women to recover from. Although I half expected her to, just because she's always been such a tough little bird. Well I gotta go, there is not a single thing in my closet that I can wear to a funeral. I was thinking about a week ago that I should maybe get myself a new black dress, but I didn't want to because it seemed like that would be admitting that she wasn't going to make it.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:48 AM
FitDay Member

Oh Almeeker,

My thoughts are with you and your family. How are you dealing with the emotional eating?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:56 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker - So sorry to hear about your grandma. I hope you can spend some quality time with your family and friends this week as you deal with the loss. And I'm glad camp went well - I think we can inspire others when we don't even mean to, and it sounds like you made an impression on the other moms there!
Old 05-23-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry to hear of your loss almeeker. My thoughts are with you from all these miles away
Old 05-23-2010, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks ladies. You guys are the BEST!!! I went out today and bought a new black skirt and a top that I'm not sure is really appropriate for a funeral, but the ladies at the store assured me it was very fashionable and perfectly fine. It's sort of zebra print, but very flattering. I also got a couple of new bras and a pair of shoes. Get this, the skirt is a size 10/12!!!! And the top is a medium!!! I thought for sure I would need the large or extra large, but both were too big, so I had to go back out and get the medium! I can't even tell you when I last bought a medium anything for myself.

After shopping I went out to the garden and planted this and that and watered some of it with tears. It was very peaceful and a nice break from all the giggling and screaming of camp. I got quite a bit done, and sort of figured out what else I still need to do. I'm such an idiot sometimes, I actually bought pole lima beans instead of bush! Good grief, I only have 2 sets of teepee poles and I already ear marked those for the green beans, now I'm going to have to make a third for those silly lima beans! DH loves lima beans, so I don't really want to skip it, and the garden center is all sold out of the bush seeds. Oh well, my bad.

So I guess my answer to the emotional eating issue is that I've been shopping and gardening, and trying very hard to stay out of the fridge. Although I will admit that I'm over my calorie budget today, and many of them happened in the first hour after I got the news. But I am looking forward to tomorrow's workout already...

I forgot in my earlier post to say hello and welcome to the new posters. Sorry about that I was a little distracted. You don't need to apologize for reading here, we're all in the same boat and it's a great place to come for a little boost or pep talk. eeb_79, I'm very impressed with your weight confession in public!!! That's a big step.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

I am sorry to hear about your loss.

I remember I was one of the chaperones on my daughter's weeklong camping trip. Even though I had been in the army for years and had been to the field, I had never been to what I call just camping. I must admit I had fun and if I hadn't have been there, the fire would never have been lit. I enjoyed all the children (and the mothers) except when one group decided to tag our area and the other mothers that were with my group took our girls on a vendetta to return the favor. I refused to participate. I can't recall if I let my daughter, but the experience is something we both have fond memories of.

That was back in the early nineties; she is my youngest and she is 26 now. BTW is anybody else in this group in their 50's.

Jaynie
Old 05-24-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. I've often found that greif comes in waves...here's hopeing and praying with each day the waves become smaller and more managable. I greatly incourage the retail therapy but then again I'm a bit of a shopaholic LOL... Along those lines I bought my first scale yesterday. I've never had a scale in my home for my entire adult life-yet another sign I'm serious this time.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by eeb_79
Hello Ladies!

I just joined FitDay on Monday AND I just started reading your thread today (I’m not going to lie I felt a little weird doing so – voyeuristic or stalker like LOL). I really feel like you all can understand me in a way none of my friends and family can... and I’m feeling extra inspired right about now having read what you all have had to say

I’m 31 years old and I’ve been overweight (if not obese- morbidly obese) since I was a child. Thursday when I was weighed at the doctors’ office I was 264 lbs. I know I should loose more then 100 lbs but right now my goal is to get rid of the “2’s” . I want to be 199 lbs (or less) and I want out of my size 22-24 clothes (although that makes me a little sad because I have some GREAT clothes LOL).

I’m just starting my journey (not really sure what I'm doing) and I’d love to have you all along for the ride...
Welcome! Don't feel like a stalker, we're all on the same journey and having these ladies has made a HUGE attitude difference for me!

Originally Posted by Jaybrodz
Hello,

I typed out an introduction that was probably too long and it went into net space and never posted and I was, after awhile, thankful for it. Similarly to the previous post, I feel like an intruder because you all seen to have such close bonds already formed. I didn't read all the posts. I have been messing around on here all day--reading different threads--and paired it down to this one and a new disability one that I hope gets some response.

This is my second time being a member. I lost down to where I am now for my son's wedding in this month of '07. Of course I went up again by forty pounds. I can't remember what my high was prior to the event. I have had four of them since I was disabled.

I am retired army and when I was in a wheelchair for three years, I put on the equivalent of 93lbs. I thought when I learned how to walk (bilateral bka), I would burn off more calories, but my knew found freedom with driving hand controls only allowed me access to more things and more eating and quite frankly after awhile, I was no longer embarrassed by my disability as I was with my weight. It has been an up and down road. I'm hoping this time, that I will succeed. Today, I found, after years of searching, a site that can compute the BMI of an amputee, no matter how many she or he has. I found out that for each leg amputation, the energy expended is 40-100% greater when walking. I also am trying to quit smoking, yet again and found that for each pack smoked per day, the heart works as if it is carrying an extra 90 lbs in addition. That gave me a lot to think about. Although for that pack, an extra 200 cals per day are burned, is it really worth it? It isn't to me and the price of them is terrible. At the commissary the last time they had gone up to 194 dollars four four cartons. I couldn't believe it. I don't smoke that much for the time that I have smoked--a pack a day--but I am frugal and I am just not going to pay a forty dollar mark up since the last time I purchased them.

So I think I digressed even more than the first post. I am 52, Christian, divorced (I know it almost seems like an oxymoron, but I became a Christian after my divorce, not that Christians don't get divorced.), three grown children, two grandchildren, one dog and three cats. I am back in school to become a math teacher but don't know that I will. My main reasons for returning were to break up the boredom of retirement and teaching math or science was all the VA would pay for; although, that was my major back in the day. Also, I want to show my daughter, who thinks she hasn't accomplished much that if Mom can go back to school at this age, she certainly can also too. She has taken her core classes but hesitates because she says that she doesn't know what she wants to major in. She's floundered some compared to the other two but she has been a consistent worker and is the asst manager at the dept store where she works. Can you tell I am proud of my kids and my four-legged ones.

I've been on here all day. I will read through your comments another day. Right now I have to log in my computer time at activity. With the amount of movement I do, I need all the burned calories I can get.

Jaynie
Welcome Jaynie!!!

Originally Posted by almeeker
Just checking in, I've missed you guys the last 2 days. GS Camp was a lot of fun, and grit and bad food. I did okay food wise, was over a little yesterday, but considering the trash they fed the kids, I did very well. It was really funny because many of the moms in our group are overweight, so I knew they were watching what I ate. One even read quite a few of the labels on the things I brought. The kids had fun and will most certainly want to go again next year, and I got a little closer to some of the moms in the group, so all in all a very good weekend.

Well it was good until I got home, my grandma died this morning. She broke her hip a month ago, and that was just an awful lot to expect an 88 year old women to recover from. Although I half expected her to, just because she's always been such a tough little bird. Well I gotta go, there is not a single thing in my closet that I can wear to a funeral. I was thinking about a week ago that I should maybe get myself a new black dress, but I didn't want to because it seemed like that would be admitting that she wasn't going to make it.

almeeker, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Monday, monday. My 4:30 walk sucked this morning, I am SO tired, and my arthritis is kicking in (osteoarthritis--starts young in our family. I started with in in my late 20's) and my whole body hurts. I thought I was going to throw up I hurt so bad. But I made the full hour on the treadmill and survived and while I'm still not feeling well, I do feel better for going.

It was a busy weekend, doing yardwork, dodging rain drops. We got the rest of my greenhouse space dug out and are almost ready to put the forms in to pour footings. I'm SO excited about that. We also got raspberries moved and some sugar maple trees planted. I love renting excavators, you get so much work done!

I also got peonies planted.

Unfortunately I didn't really track my weekend food. But Today is a clean slate and I am moving on!

I did get into some jeans I haven't been able to wear for a while on Saturday! And shorts too! It was great!
Old 05-24-2010, 03:07 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wth!?

Ok, so.... this weekend wasn't very good. Let me start with the positives:
1. I stuck to my appropriate foods, stayed within my calorie budget (even when there was ALL sorts of junk food to be had).
2. I exercised everyday - rode at least 6.5 miles each day, weight lifted, did core strengthening. At Bootcamp I walked/jogged 2.6 miles, did 100 pushups, 100 grave diggers, weights... the whole shebang.
3. I took my vitamins.

The negatives:
1. I didn't get all my water in on Sunday, and I only drank the minimum on Saturday.
2. Friday night I had 2 glasses of red wine, I had another 2 glasses on Saturday... but I figured with ramping up my workout, and keeping to my allowable food, a little wine was forgiveable. The last time I had a glass of wine was Easter, and I wasn't even working out like I am now and I LOST 4 pounds that week.

When I weighed in on Thursday I was 263, now I am 268!?!?!??!?!? FOUR glasses of wine gained me FIVE friggin' pounds!?!?!?! I am very upset about this, I vow I will never have fun again, never act like a normal 29 year old again and think I can have the occasional glass of wine with friends. We all went out to brunch after church on Sunday, everyone was drinking mimosas and having REALLY fatty foods. I drank water and had a breakfast burrito with veggies and egg ONLY (no fatty breakfast meat like everyone else) and I didn't even eatthe tortilla - just opened it up and ate the insides! But I gained 5 pounds!? Someone help me here... was it the fact that I didn't drink more water?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.