Notices

Just a rant.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Just a rant.

I REALLY am not a fan of myself sometimes.

Back story: I'm 25 years old. I'm 5'8", and I weigh 174 pounds. I don't LOOK like I weigh that much, but trust me, I do. I've always been heavier than what I appear. I've been up and down with my weight since I graduated high school. For a while, I struggled with bulimia, and as much as I hate to say it (risking sounding sick again), that was when I looked my best. I was never at an unhealthy weight (just an unhealthy mindset), and I was FIT. I worked out for hours a day, so of course I looked good.

Anyway, now I'm squishy again. No, I don't purge anymore, so that's a good thing. Now I'm just lazy. Unmotivated. Well, not all the time, I suppose. I work out two or three times a week, usually just doing 25 minutes or so on the elliptical, and then I spend 10 to 15 minutes doing ab and arm workouts, and sometimes squats or lunges. It's not like I'm completely sedentary. And I watch what I eat, I really do! I count calories, I try to stay around 1700 per day (I have a hard time restricting lower than that without getting back into a dangerous mindset again).

I just...am getting really frustrated. My scale does NOT move! Water weight, sure, but real loss? Nope.

Now I can see where you might say "well maybe you need to work out more." That would be an acceptable answer, except...up until a month ago, I didn't work out AT ALL. I just started working out! Don't you think I would show SOME improvement???

Seriously...somebody help me
Old 05-04-2010, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Jenny!

Wow - our body types sound very similar! I am 28 years old, 5'8" with a larger frame and can "hide" my weight well too. I am heavier now, but at one point I was thinner. When I'd be right around 170-180 pounds, I would always get stuck. And most of the time, I would go in the upward direction. I think my body was just "comfortable" at that weight, and maybe yours is too. I had to work really, really hard to get past 170 pounds. For us taller girls with heavy bone structures, 170 pounds may sound like a lot, but it's not too far from a healthy weight (I think the upper edge of healthy for our height is 165). That being said, the only time I got down to the 150s was when I did alot of weightlifting. Weightlifting and building lean muscle will help speed up your metabolism because a pound of muscle at rest burns more calories than a pound of fat or other tissue. I would spend about an hour for 5 days a week weightlifting, followed by about 30 minutes of cardio (walking on an incline, elliptical). I tracked my calories and ate about 1600-1800 a day. I know it sounds unrealistic to work out that much, but building the muscle and speeding up my metabolism made all the difference. As a result of about a year of hard work, I went from a flabby 200 pounds and a size 14 to a fit, lean, muscular 155 pounds and a size 6. I let myself go and then I had a baby, so I'm now back up in the 200s but trying to get back there someday! I think the forums are a great place to find support - just don't give up!
Old 05-04-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your input! I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this body type around here! I always feel like I'm the only one who is tall and big boned! lol

I get so mad at myself, because I LOOK kind of skinny (I say kind of because I will never ever ever admit to being skinny). But when I have no clothes on, oh my gosh I am so flabby! Cellulite all over the place, my butt is saggy...*sigh* Being a woman sucks!

Anyway, I'll definitely try more weight-training. I don't belong to a gym, as I am trying to save money, and with my work schedule, I don't feel I would get enough use out of the gym to justify paying for a membership. I do, however, have a full set of free weights at home, so I'll give those a whirl!

I've also been trying to stay more active throughout the day, too - my hubby usually gets home late from work and showers between 9pm and 10pm, so I spend about 15 minutes while he's showering doing more ab work and I use 8 pound weights to do arm workouts; I have noticed that I weigh less the next day when I do that than if I had just gone to sleep...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Hi ladies,
I'm likewise 5'7" and carry my weight well. My scale topped out at 205 and then I started to get serious about getting into shape. I started July of 2008 and as of this week am hovering around 155. (I'm no size 6 but still feel pretty great about it.)

I know how you feel about being stuck around 170. I was stuck there for six months or more. Egm took the words right out of my mouth about the weight-lifting. I can do cardio all day long, but the scale doesn't really move. Lifting weights, however, has gotten me to push past that I haven't looked back. I also really like to workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Something like 20-30 minutes to jump start my metabolism for the day. If you have the time, I'd recommend it.

As for your diet, good job watching the calories. I likewise keep my intake between 1600 and 1800. Just take a look at where those calories are coming from. You could try cutting back on carbs and sugars (even fruit has sugars, so maybe cut back on fruit if you can). I've found those things to be helpful when I'm stuck.

Hope that helps! Keep posting, even if you're struggling.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:18 AM
FitDay Member

I am such a carboholic! Seriously, I just gravitate towards carbs, and I can't flippin quit! I honestly try really hard to watch what I am eating, and not eat "bad" stuff, but holy crap - all the "good" stuff I find is full of carbs! Yesterday I did pretty well though, and had my carbs down to about 50% (which is incredible for me, as they're usually at like 70% lol).

I just really need to find a way to cut down on them. It's so hard for me, especially cooking for somebody else. My hubby is 5'10" and weighs 125 pounds soaking wet. He's so tiny, and can eat like a horse and not gain a pound! So I have to find a way to cook a good meal for him, something moderately healthy so I don't gain 934 pounds, and stay on a budget. Why can't groceries just be free? hahaha then I wouldn't feel so bad making two meals!

On the plus side, I saw my sister yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks, and the first thing she said was "You look skinny." I'm not sure if that was a compliment (as in she clearly knew I was chunky), but it obviously means I'm doing SOMETHING right. So even though the scale hasn't moved, I'm LOOKING better! Now to tackle this carb issue!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 AM
FitDay Member

You may do this already, but you could try swapping some of the refined carbs you may eat for "better" carbs with higher fiber and protein. That might help you not have to make two meals. For instance, make spaghetti for you and your husband, but instead of using plain old pasta, use whole wheat or the "Smart taste" brand which has more fiber and protein, and then measure your serving out. Put brown rice under a stir fry or in stuffed peppers instead of white rice. They make "boil in a bag" varieties that only take 10 minutes instead of 30-40 to cook. Switch to greek yogurt for your dairy intake - usually less sugar (you can sweeten with splenda, stevia, or fruit) and way more protein to balance out the carbs. Or have an egg "McMuffin" by frying an egg in non-stick spray, top with a slice of fat free cheese and rather than putting it on bread, buy some Thomas Multigrain Light english muffins - only 100 calories and tons of fiber and protein. (You could also use them for sandwiches or hamburger buns instead of bread too!) Buy High Fiber instant oatmeal or Kashi cereal instead of the regular instant oatmeal or other cereal. Buy Weight Watchers bread or another brand that has high fiber and protein. A way to reduce your carbs and make them "better" carbs without really noticing a huge difference. Just some ideas - hope that helps!
Old 05-06-2010, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for the suggestions!

I do make an attempt to buy "better" carbs when I'm shopping. Sometimes I have flavor issues though - I have tried so many types of whole wheat pasta, and I can barely choke it down. It always tastes so dry and chalky!

I will give myself credit though, I don't eat nearly the amount of carbs that I used to. I have cut down A LOT in the past couple months. I used to be all about Mt Dew, pizza, and potatoes! Now I have a Dew maybe once every 2 weeks, and very rarely eat any other "junk" food. Granted, I allow myself "light" versions of my favorite ice creams once a week or so.

I don't know...it's all a learning process, I suppose. I'm doing my best, and each day it gets a little better.

Although learning does nothing for my motivation lol. That's a whole different story!
Old 05-06-2010, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default Hey Jenny!

I second the list by egmdobbs...I can't function on low carbs; mine are usually at 50-55% or I get dizzy and sleepy. However, I put a lot of effort into making sure they are good carbs...fruit and whole grains. I use the whole grain pasta; it is sort of an acquired taste but they are getting better as time goes by. I make a meat and veggie tomato sauce that is thick enough to be almost like chili (brown low fat ground beef or ground turkey, then put it in a colander and rinse it; this washes away a lot of the fat, then the crushed tomatoes and veggies and spices in a slow cooker), so I can get away with fewer noodles that way. It also enables me to combine a lot of protein with the carbs; if you do that, they don't tend to hit your bloodstream in as much of a rush and jack around your sugar levels. I always try to pair the two if I can...I found whole grain organic pretzels (I am a pretzel addict) and I usually eat them with lowfat cheese for a snack...again, the carbs with a protein.

You're right, it's all about trial and error and what works for you. I believe everyone has their own macronutrient ratio and to try to force yourself into, say, 35% or so after having had 70%, well, that is a setup for failure. I tried to go to 40% twice since January and my body rebelled each time with plateauing and making me feel like crap. 65-70% is too high, I also know from experience, and if my fat percentage got above 25% or so, I stalled in my weight loss. Just keep really detailed data on what you eat and your weight, measurements, and how you feel daily and you should have your answer as to what works best for you. Hang in there...it's a process, but worth it to feel at your best everyday!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, myrasalman!
I'm in it! :-)
If you're having any hard time with controlling food or anything else, let me know! Ok?

I don't know about you, girls, but to me dancing (at home, of course :-D) helps to get me in the mood for excersizing. I adore latino dances so I put some CD and I just go with the flow.

I started with this site yesterday and I see that you all have shared your starting weight and so.
I'll do it, but I'll do it in kilos because I'm having trouble with calculating these mesaures.

So, now I just discovered I have to lose much more than 5 pounds (my stupid math :-D)

Height: 173 cm
Starting weight: 89 kg
Goal weight untill 20.6.2010.: 83
Old 05-06-2010, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

Jenny,
I've read what you have wrote.
I know that somebody would say: "If you are so smart why did you let yourself gained that much..." (bla, bla, bla)

But, from my experience, when I was your age (I'm 33 now), working out was the only thing that was working for me. At that time I wasn't overweight, but sometimes I would have 2 or 3 kilograms to much. But, no diet, nothing...just not eating after 5 p.m., excersizing, and healthy food (forget junk food, fast food,...).
Your body is young and you can do a lot for your body yet...I'm sure that with your weight and your height you don't look as fat as you think you are ;-) How do I know? I'm heavier than you and I don't look big, trust me. But I have to do something for myself and my health... :-)

Last edited by zaba30; 05-06-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.