FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   Use creatine or not? (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/755-use-creatine-not.html)

PMW1 04-01-2010 05:53 PM

Use creatine or not?
 
I've been working out for a while now, and though I can see a lot of difference I was wondering about creatine to help build mass and give me some extra energy. And can it be used along with protein? Any suggestions?

rrross 04-01-2010 06:31 PM

yes, it can be used along with anything.

I have tried it but only in 2 cycles of 2-3 months. Mind you it is nothing like steroids or anything which is also cycled so it might sound similar.

It has been proven to increase lean mass and add a little water weight, but that water weight is in the muscles (not you bum!) so it actually makes them a little bigger which actually feels/looks good.

It works by giving you more energy, supplementing the cells normal creatine energy with even more creatine energy.

In my experience taking it it means you can lift more and work out longer without getting fatigued or light headed. However, I was taking too much (2 scoops a day instead of 1) which meant that I super saturated my body, a buildup of the creatine (or water) in my muscles around my shins meant it was sometimes painfull or sorewhen sitting or standing.

It will help you get easier gains which you wont necessarily lose once of it. The best thing to do is take it which a carb. which will help to load the creatine into the muscle. And I can't stress enough, drink a lot of water. Normal amount of water is 2-3 liters a day, with creatine consider 4-5 even 6.
I would take 2-3 liters just at a weight workout.

remember to load and then maintain saturation.

all the best with it!

jargon62 05-24-2011 07:12 PM

Creatine helps replenish ATP which is the direct chemical fuel for your muscles. By keeping ATP levels high, Creatine is able to provide more energy, endurance and explosiveness which leads to an overall better workout. It is good to have and to mix, but you don't need it. Creatine is only really necessary for serious body builders. Keep in mind that even the best creatine supplements don't work like magic, there is lots of hard work to be done.

Strick09 05-25-2011 07:25 AM

Honestly I'm against Creatine. I have used it in the past and it really didnt do anything for me. After reading a bunch of posts about the long term effects of creatine and the damage it does to the Kidneys I have decided against it. Also, is all it does it hold water into the muscle, so the swole you get is just water weight and not true muscle mass. just a thought :)

tandoorichicken 06-08-2011 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strick09 (Post 47167)
Honestly I'm against Creatine. I have used it in the past and it really didnt do anything for me. After reading a bunch of posts about the long term effects of creatine and the damage it does to the Kidneys I have decided against it. Also, is all it does it hold water into the muscle, so the swole you get is just water weight and not true muscle mass. just a thought :)

Creatine has actually been shown to increase protein synthesis so I have no idea where you got that "just water weight" bit. It does draw a lot of water into the muscle so that is part of it but it also increases strength by building more muscles fibers, thus enhancing contractility.

Also, creatine does not damage the kidneys. It's main metabolite in the body is creatinine, which is used in medicine as a diagnostic marker for kidney disease. So... if you're on creatine, your creatinine levels are artificially elevated, and your doctor thinks you have kidney disease, even when you don't.

I personally don't use creatine because it gives me nausea, but when I took it a few years back I did notice slightly improved performance.

VitoVino 09-19-2011 01:29 PM

I needed to up my protein intake and I found a good protein powder at my local superstore. It has creatine in it, so yes, creatine and protein can be taken together.

Plus the answer can be found in the FitDay articles:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articl...in-powder.html

I've used creatine alone (5 grams) before extended bicycle rides and I'm certain it's improved my performance, no question about it.

trapsbrah 12-22-2011 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jargon62 (Post 47122)
Creatine helps replenish ATP which is the direct chemical fuel for your muscles. By keeping ATP levels high, Creatine is able to provide more energy, endurance and explosiveness which leads to an overall better workout. It is good to have and to mix, but you don't need it. Creatine is only really necessary for serious body builders. Keep in mind that even the best creatine supplements don't work like magic, there is lots of hard work to be done.

I have taken it before and it works. Just as this user has said, it can at times help you to get that one extra rep out of a set.

But please be sure to drink PLENTY of water if cycling creatine, because you can get cramps if you do not. Serious.

I will start taking it again myself soon. I dread drinking so much water, but it does make me look just a little bit more "swole" from some water retention as well.

kz03gom9 12-31-2011 02:34 AM

Take 5grams every day. It's not that big of a deal and is beneficial. Biotest sells a good product for a good price.

handcycle2005 12-31-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 57226)
I needed to up my protein intake and I found a good protein powder at my local superstore. It has creatine in it, so yes, creatine and protein can be taken together.

Plus the answer can be found in the FitDay articles:

Can You Combine Creatine and Protein Powder? / Nutrition / Vitamins and Minerals

I've used creatine alone (5 grams) before extended bicycle rides and I'm certain it's improved my performance, no question about it.

Placebo effect. Creatine is used for short, intense anaerobic efforts such as sprinting and weight-lifting.
It does not affect the aerobic energy pathway.
Energy pathways.

VitoVino 12-31-2011 03:45 AM

Yeah, I know about that HC. But the fact remains that I've found that my legs don't tire out as quickly on my bike rides than when I don't do the creatine. But I'm not recreational riding either. I'm pushing it at high cadence, big gears. I've gone from days without to days with, back and forth enough times to prove to myself that it's helped me personally. Maybe it doesn't work for everybody, or the research states otherwise, but I think it's more than placebo for me.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2