Notices

Need help overcoming a plateau

Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

Question Need help overcoming a plateau

Hi all, I need some advice getting over a plateau, it's been a month and I haven't lost a single pound. I tried varying my workouts, increasing intensity and am really watching the calorie intake but nothing seems to work. Maybe I should just stop working out for a while and just concentrate on nutrition? I dunno? I'm kicking ass in the gym but I'm not losing. I'm 20 pounds from my goal weight.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:25 AM
FitDay Member

This might sound weird but are you eating enough? Also are you sleeping enough?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default Eating enough?

Hmmmmm well I'm 37, 5'5" and 196 lbs
I've been at 1500 calories on average for the last few weeks
And that's after I subtract calories burned from my workouts
Do you think that's too low?
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

I am no expert on how much one person needs. But you could always try to bump it up about 200 calories per day for a week and then go back to where you are and see if that helps it start moving again. I'm sure someone else will come along with a more experienced answer.

Oh and Woops! I didn't take notice this was in the men's section! Sorry.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

April, you can be in the mens section anytime! You always give good advice.

I am wondering what jaymagblue's Protein intake is like? I believe it should be near 1 gram per pound of lean body weight, especially if you are working out. (If you are 196 lbs with 20% body fat then your lean body weight is apprx 157 and that is how many grams of protein you should be aiming for.) That 200 calories a day increase that April suggested could be a protein shake made with milk once a day.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

I'll try the protein shake idea ..... Do I make that myself or can I get that at the supermarket?
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

I use the Body Fortress brand whey protein powder from Wal-mart (I like the Strawberry, Vanilla is good but don't care for the chocolate). Just make sure the brand you pick is low in Carbs and Fats. I mix one scoop with 8oz of 2% milk and it is about 190 calories. You can also buy the pre-mixed protein drinks but they are usually more expensive and have a few more calories.

If you are using the powder I recommend you get a Blender bottle. These have a whisk type ball that helps mix the powder and gets rid of the clumps even better than a blender. Hope this helps you get past your plateau!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

I was at a plateau before and then discovered that I was not eating enough… So I started to eat more of the right foods after which my weight dropped again. I would, however, intensify your exercise rather than dropping it. Eat enough, exercise enough is now my credo and thus far it has helped a lot.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by jaymagblue
Hi all, I need some advice getting over a plateau, it's been a month and I haven't lost a single pound. I tried varying my workouts, increasing intensity and am really watching the calorie intake but nothing seems to work. Maybe I should just stop working out for a while and just concentrate on nutrition? I dunno? I'm kicking ass in the gym but I'm not losing. I'm 20 pounds from my goal weight.
Find out what your maintenance calories is (the amount of calories you would consume to maintain your weight.) You would not lose or gain weight if you are consuming maintenance cals and that sounds like why you are plateauing.
Once you know your maintenance calories, simply deduct 500 cals from that number and stay there (it varies when you lose or gain weight) and work out like hell. The fat should melt off.
Bodybuilding.com - Calculate Your Recomended Calorie Intake!
Use this calculator to get your maintenance calories.
Good luck.
Robb