Notices

Intro and Survey - Daily Caloric Intake - Men

Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Intro and Survey - Daily Caloric Intake - Men

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here, but have been using FD for many years. I'm 46, 5' 9", and 264 lbs. Sorry for the long post here, but I wanted to introduce myself, my background, and collect your thoughts on caloric intake.

Unfortunately, I've yo-yo'd my whole life between being in body-builder shape, and being 50-80 lbs. overweight. I started studying nutrition and dieting at 11 years old. I've cycled maybe 5 times like that in my adult life, with the last dip being just 2 years ago down to 203 lbs, and about 15% bodyfat. My sin is Scotch, love it, but it kills my plans, plain and simple.

in '09, I dropped 64 lbs. in 5 months by stopping all alcohol, doing an hour of cardio every morning, eating 1700 calories a day, and entering data in FD religiously. I had a surgery later that year, fell off the workout and alcohol wagon for a bit, and gained the weight back with a vengeance.

I knew from previous readings that my caloric intake was probably to low, but I did it anyway. I have a pretty high lean body mass from weight lifting and backpacking my whole life, but I was anxious to lose weight quickly, so I ignored my better judgement. I'm starting over now, and have resolved to do a better job of not knocking my metabolism down (and also keeping protein intake up). I've read up on several sources, and they all pretty much say that with my stats and program I shouldn't be going below about 2400 calories a day. I know this to be true as well from much experience, if I don't want to knock down my metabolism, lose muscle, and then regain the weight quickly.

So finally to the survey. I do see many new posters here, who are also new to diet tracking saying they are eating 1200-1500 calories a day, and this concerns me. Personally, I think that's a formula for rebound and muscle loss, but I'm open to your thoughts.

I'm still going to be on the aggressive side, but will shoot for 2100 calories a day. I'll burn 4100 a day with exercise, so should net about 0.57 lb. loss per day. The math always works out spot on for me.

What are you all doing?

P.S. Here's a link I found very useful on this topic: Basal Metabolic Rate - Learn How To Calculate & Find Your BMR
Old 11-16-2011, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Thaddeusrex

So finally to the survey. I do see many new posters here, who are also new to diet tracking saying they are eating 1200-1500 calories a day, and this concerns me. Personally, I think that's a formula for rebound and muscle loss, but I'm open to your thoughts.

I'm still going to be on the aggressive side, but will shoot for 2100 calories a day. I'll burn 4100 a day with exercise, so should net about 0.57 lb. loss per day. The math always works out spot on for me.

What are you all doing?

[/url]

Hi Thaddeusrex, and welcome to Discussions.

I agree that for men 1200-1500 is just too low. All sources I've read warn against going below 1800. I ASSUME they are basing this number on an average height of 5'10" Human height - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've upped my caloric intake with the more weight I've lost because I am now burning less fat for fuel. I started out around 1550-1600 per week (daily), then 1600-1700 per week (daily), and now I'm at 1750-1825 per week (daily). I'm thinking of increasing this to 1900 shortly to drop the last few, then increase that amount for maintenance. I am 5'6.2" tall. Since my height is below average, I figured I could get away from the clinically suggested "1800" calories.

I suppose there's one benefit to pushing the envelope and losing the weight fast. For me, I felt like my health was in danger by being 25-30 pounds overweight. I had been eating very poorly and was beginning to feel like total crap. The thing is, with my calorie goals which were a bit aggressive, I have not really hungered that much during this time. I've just been working my ass off at cardio, and making sure to take rests and eat more when my body tells me. It's about listening to your body as well as just hittin' the numbers.

I think you're wise to select 2100 and not go below this considering how aggressive your workouts will be. But the main thing is, listen to your body and if you're eating clean with nutrient dense foods, but always find yourself hungry, then EAT MORE.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:32 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie intake to lose weight

Nutrient dense foods are really important when we want to cut of the weight. Those foods eliminates all the unwanted water content in the body and regular exercises brings us the desired results on link removed by reducing calories intake.

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-18-2011 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I have to agree. Consuming 1,000 to 1,500 calories a day might be sustainable in the short term, but its probably not a good long term strategy. I've never done it myself. But, I've come to this conclusion based on knowing quite a few guys who've gone down this route. All have ended up loosing a lot, but then gaining even more. I'm sure there is the occasional case where someone lost a lot this way, and then kept it off.....but it appears this might be the exception, rather than being common.

Last edited by gerrymcd; 12-20-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:27 AM
FitDay Member

I am 5'9" and was 262lbs - ate 3500 calories a day to lose 1 lb per week.
I lost 67 lbs so far - Check out the difference!

I eat more than most, because I am VERY active.

Everybody needs to discover their maintenance zone!