Notices

It always amazes me...

Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default It always amazes me...

... that I can weigh myself just before going to sleep, and then in the morning after dropping cargo the scale reads (3) pounds lighter!

And no, for anyone thinking it, I'm not

Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator

Overshare....
Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Well, maybe, but only if you focus on the "it". It's meant to be humorous, besides, the point is how you wake up lighter, not having done anything but sleep, and the scale reads a few pounds less, even before one does the deed.

You ladies never discuss these kinds of things?

Last edited by VitoVino; 09-15-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 AM
FitDay Member

You do dehydrate overnight, you burn some glycogen, releasing the water it binds to, you pee(maybe).
Old 09-15-2011, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

But 3 pounds... it's amazing. I've seen this consistently over the weeks.

And the question begs, what is the TRUE weight then? They say to weigh after the morning constitutional, which I do. But is that my real weight, the one that I determine if I'm overweight or not? Or is it the weight before I go to bed that I should be taking into account?

Really, I'm about this and haven't found any answers.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

That you weigh on the same schedule is what's important. The actual number is secondary, what you're looking for is a change over a period of weeks/months.

If you maintain a steady schedule of eating, exercise, etc., the change will reflect the true weight loss/gain.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks HC.

But I gotta ask, so what weight do I say, "OK, this is a healthy BMI, the one I'm going to maintain." Is that the weight before I go to bed, or the one 3 pounds less in the morning?

If it were a 1/2 pound, even a pound difference, I doubt I'd be asking this. But 3 pounds is kinda a lot. And the point where I plan to maintain is right on the border of "fit" and "overweight". A three pound swing puts me on both sides of that equation.

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pain. But I've gotten no definitive answer on this, searching the interwebs. I really don't think anybody knows.

If I had to pick one, I'd go against conventional wisdom and use the night time weight instead of the morning weight (which is what everyone says to use). Either way, the Calorie Police won't come a'knockin... but I'll sure know.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

I usually count the measurement I take first thing in the morning, naked, after I pee. I'm a woman, we usually want to weigh as little as possible and if I've seen that weight today, then that's my weight dammit! But you're right, at my doctor's office my official weight is at whatever time they deem it necessary to see me, fully clothed, shoes off, minus my purse, plus right after I pee (if I get the chance). So typically they weigh me 5-7 lbs heavier than I consider myself. Fabulous... My strategy has been to select a goal weight for myself that is smack dab in the middle of my suggested healthy range. So for you maybe you need to drop your goal weight by 3 lbs and just deal? Dude it's just a number, do you feel good, do you look good, can you keep up or even ahead of your life? Then screw the scale you don't need to sweat the little stuff and the number on the scale is surely little enough. And yes, we ladies discuss this stuff, only more so.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:39 AM
FitDay Member

nuff said.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

I think at some of my heavier weights I could drop 5lbs in a night. It's crazy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.