Notices

Men's 5-15 Pound Club

Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Men's 5-15 Pound Club

I'll kick off this thread and get the ball rolling. For those of us wanting to tackle 5-15 pounds, either after a greater loss or because that's all that's needed, this topic is for you.

"They" say the last 10 are the hardest to lose. It's like the body's Goal-line Stand.

Please share your thoughts, experiences, trials, successes, and encouragement to others here.

Personally I'm trying to lose 10 pounds now, a few pounds less than the healthy BMI range. So far, so good. Yet the unknown awaits...

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-22-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:13 AM
FitDay Member

Right there with you. I hit my goal # 1st of Sep. I'm trying for 3lbs/mo now through winter just to finish off the 6pack. I know that I'm about 10lbs away to be in the cut phase- just a lot of work to get there.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 1dwing
Right there with you. I hit my goal # 1st of Sep. I'm trying for 3lbs/mo now through winter just to finish off the 6pack. I know that I'm about 10lbs away to be in the cut phase- just a lot of work to get there.

Cool. How much have you dropped, and how long did it take? I've got about 6 to go to reach my goal, but like you, I may have to drop even a few more than that "just to finish off the 6pack". At least at 152 I'll feel pretty comfortable about my weight. Haven't been at 152 for about 15 years.

Are you doing any special diets? Any kinds of supplements? Specific exercises for the gut?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:58 PM
FitDay Member

216 to 175 at my lowest(41lbs). Right now I'm floating between 178-183 depending if I've just carb loaded or not. I was 226 and went to 194, back to 216.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Great job losing the 41 pounds, 1dwing!

OK, so now it's "First and 10" and you're on the 10 yard line, staring at the End Zone. Time to take it in for the touchdown! Let me know how you're making out.

I honestly don't know how I've dropped as much as I have, so fast. But I swear this green tea I've been downing lately has really increased my metabolism.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM
FitDay Member

I have gone from 93k to 80kg,need to go to 76kg,even though I am exercising more in the last 2 months which is period I lost the 13kg and also eating good and healthy and off the Guinness I have not lost anything in last 2 weeks,

173cm
80KG
40yrs
Old 10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by sevvy1
I have not lost anything in last 2 weeks,

173cm
80KG
40yrs

OK, well it sounds like a plateau. I hit one that lasted about 2 weeks. That's when I learned about the following tricks. It could be you need to increase your caloric intake by 100 cals a day. What are you getting now?

Also, I found mixing up the macros really helped (for proportions of carb-fat-protein).

But really I think what busted it is this zig-zagging:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

This really works, I promise. Make sure to click "7 day calorie cycle" on the page and then stick to it.

What type of exercising are you doing? Perhaps you need to change it up, or extend the time/effort. How long have you been doing the same type exercise?

Also, you could try drinking green tea to help boost your metabolism. Don't discount this, this is a proven method of helping to lose weight, especially belly fat. I drink 2 quarts a day.

Fish oil is another good method for helping to lose weight. It supposedly reduces the amount of insulin released by as much as 50%, and when insulin is reduced so is the amount of calories eaten that will be stored as fat. Lots of studies to back this up as well. Are you taking any fish oil supplements?

Good luck. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Last edited by VitoVino; 10-10-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Introduction

Five years ago, I weighed and uncomfortable 192 pounds. I gave up my beloved Mt Dew and immediately lost 10 pounds. Over the next few years, I yo-yoed between 185 and 175. This past August, I weighed in at 184 before I started losing weight.

I currently weigh 163, and I can't seem to lose the last 15 pounds! If I could get down to 148, that would be awesome - but it almost seems unattainable! I'm ready for your input, so... fire away!
Old 11-15-2011, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by macs417
Five years ago, I weighed and uncomfortable 192 pounds. I gave up my beloved Mt Dew and immediately lost 10 pounds. Over the next few years, I yo-yoed between 185 and 175. This past August, I weighed in at 184 before I started losing weight.

I currently weigh 163, and I can't seem to lose the last 15 pounds! If I could get down to 148, that would be awesome - but it almost seems unattainable! I'm ready for your input, so... fire away!
macs417, yes it sounds like we are in the same boat. I thought I'd never get into the 150's again since I had been many years in the 160 range. About 10 would be my best guess.

OK, here's my tips. Some of them are a bit controversial, but you asked me to "fire away" so I'm going to be honest.

- 8 hours sleep every night
- steady 1600-1800 calories daily average for the week, honestly tracked.
- no "cheat day" but a "cheat meal" once in a while, perhaps once a week. Still within calories and macros for the day.
- zig zag your calories daily! Use the calculator I referenced above.
- drink lots of green tea. Your own! And don't sweeten it with ANYTHING, except if you really need to, very light Stevia. Artificial sweeteners are just as bad as sugar.
- Eat breakfast. Make sure it's high protein. Low fat yogurt is a proven winner.
The Dairy Calcium in Yogurt Helps People Lose Belly
- Eat lots of fiber. I've been getting 40 grams a day, at least
- Take up eating popcorn (air popped) as one of your treats, every day in the evening. It makes everything so much smoother knowing you'll be having a treat later on in the day. Popcorn is a great source of fiber so it makes a great snack later in the evening. The other treat is honey roasted peanuts. Google and learn just how heathy peanuts are! And they really satisfy hunger.
- LOTS of water, of course. I own a water purifier, so there's no hidden artificial ingredients in there.
- Supplements for weight loss: Fish Oil (3-5 grams daily), Choline-Inositol. Pre workout I will also take a Capsicum Extract (a proven themorgenic) to help burn fat. Don't believe it works? Google it.
- Supplements for exercise cardio endurance: Creatine, L-Arginine, and Chromium nicotinate for post workouts (helps recovery). My cardio is alternating bicycling and run/walk/jogging.
- exercise as much as possible, preferably daily, but when your body is tired listen to it and take a day or two to rest and recuperate.
- Avoid alcohol but if you must, choose a low calorie beer, limit your wine, and only occasionally have a shot if you must.
- Macros are up to you. But I get around 48-25-27 weekly average (carb-fat-protein) even though I shoot for 45-25-30. As long as you are below 50% for carbs you'll be fine. You'll need the carbs for your intense cardio, and don't freak out if you have a week where your carbs got up to 55%. Sometimes you just need that.
- Mix up your macros as much as possible. A few days very low fat (below 20 %) then perhaps a few days very low carbs (below 40 %)
- lots of veggies and fruits.
- protein supplement for days you need that extra boost of protein (either as a recovery workout or to help you achieve your macro goal)
- healthy fats. Namely from peanuts, sunflower seeds, and olive oil.
- give up red meat. Forget it. Too much saturated fat. Make your own turkey burgers and eat plenty of skinless chicken.
- give up soda. It's liquid death in a can. Drink green tea and black tea, along with water every day. The occasional treat of a low calorie beer or wine perhaps. Coffee is OK, hot tea is good, and flavored bottled water is good if it's unsweetened.
- give up cakes, candy, cookies, pie, etc etc. If you really need a sweet treat once in a while, before your body doesn't crave this crap anymore, stick to a hard candy here and there ONLY.
- Don't shun whole grains and brown rice. Avoid white breads as much as possible. I have my turkey burger wedged between 2 slices of whole grain bread. Takes some gettin' used to, but once you're there it's way better than the classic 'burger'.
- cut back on your salt intake as much as possible
- take supplements to meet your micronutrients. Magnesium is critical for exercise performance, and calcium it appears is very important in weight loss.
- don't underestimate the importance of getting your RDA in potassium. It helps for weight loss on many levels. Need help meeting it? Let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
If I've left anything off, I'll be sure to update this list.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

MOVING THE GOAL POST:

I've had so much success with the above that I keep moving the goal post! The weight goal has been decreased 4 times now, going from 160, 154, 152, and now 147.

The goal keeps changing because the belly fat is being stubborn and since the weight is still coming off, I'm taking no prisoners.

"LOCKER ROOM PSYCH!:

This morning I got on the scale (been neglecting this on purpose lately) to find that I'm probably below 147 but entered today's weight at 148 (the weight I saw on the scale days ago).

I cheat on entering my weight. I don't enter a weight until I'm sure it's "locked in". In other words, if the scale reads 155 the morning after a really tough workout, I won't record it as 155 because of possible dehydration (even though I drink plenty of fluids). The next time the scale reads 154, at that point I'll record 155 as my weight. When I do the cardio, I work extra hard to make sure the weight is really "locked in".

This little head game seems to be working pretty well as the weight continues to come off.

Last edited by VitoVino; 11-22-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! That's a lot of info. Thanks! After reading it, I see I'm doing nearly everything except the two I just don't have time for: sleep and exercise! Without getting into the boring details, let's just say I'm going from the time I get up in the morning (6am) until I go to bed (1am). In order to add exercise, I'd have to sacrifice more sleep! And the older I get, the more I think that's really not a good idea... My only other caveat is "macros". I have to admit I'm completely ignorant as to what you're even talking about here, but I will look into it. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.