FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just men (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/)
-   -   what happened? (http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-men/4892-what-happened.html)

kcarpenter2011 08-04-2011 03:19 PM

what happened?

I was more then 2.5 pounds lighter today at my weigh in now as much as I would like to think I lost that much weight in one day I don't think that is what happened. I would like to get an idea of what is going on, it has to be something I changed so here is my routine:

I wake up, drink about 8 oz of water and take my vitiman.
I walk for a mile at a good clip and drink another 8 oz of water during the walk. I then sit and 'cool' down and finish off the water bottle another 8 oz
Shower and weigh in.

This morning I was pretty sore from the weight training last night and skipped the walk so I didn't drink all the water before the shower.
I showered, weighed in and then took the vitiman.

Can 24oz of water account for the 2.5 pounds?
My scale could also be broken, never did trust those things.

handcycle2005 08-04-2011 03:23 PM

24 0z. of water is 1.5 lbs. right there plus a pound or more variation is normal. Best scale is the balance beam type you see at the doctors or gym.

kcarpenter2011 08-04-2011 03:27 PM

Mystery solved, I was pretty sure that was the case but thanks for confirming.

VitoVino 08-04-2011 04:12 PM

I've always thought that some of the "variation" in weight can be attributed to not only water weight, but how much "waste" a person is temporarily carrying around.

handcycle2005 08-04-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitoVino (Post 52644)
I've always thought that some of the "variation" in weight can be attributed to not only water weight, but how much "waste" a person is temporarily carrying around.

It can be both. That's why I only weigh once a week.

mecompco 08-04-2011 09:36 PM

yup, I can see swings of several pounds in one day due to water retention or whatever. One extra salty meal can add a few pounds the next day. I agree that it's best to weigh at most once a week and if possible at the same time of day. I prefer Saturday morning, after one bathroom trip and before coffee and breakfast.

Regards,
Michael

VitoVino 08-05-2011 01:15 AM

Well I think I'll follow the advice of the seasoned veterans here and go with weighing in just once a week.

01gt4.6 08-06-2011 03:45 AM

I usually vary 2-3 pounds between morning and night just about every day.