Notices

Fiber: What is the right amount for men?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fiber: What is the right amount for men?

Why is it that fiber requirements are listed in grams, based on age and gender, yet size is not taken into consideration?

For example, this is pretty much standard:

"Depending on your gender and age, you should try to consume 20-38 g of fiber per day. Men ages 50 and younger should try to eat 38 g of fiber per day, and men 51 years and older should shoot for 30 g per day."

It doesn't make sense to me that at 5'7" I should be eating the same amount of fiber as someone that is 6'2". I'm thinking that 30 grams is too much, and I would be perfectly safe in the range with 24-25 grams a day.

Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2011, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

I think it just varies from person to person since we all have different digestive systems. For example, my husband is 5'11 and if he eats one of my fiber bars he'll be on the toilet for hours; though if I eat the same fiber bar, it won't affect me like that at all. I try and eat about 25-27 grams of fiber a day and I'm 5'3. I believe it's all personal choice and knowing your body.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

I think you're right about 'knowing your body'. I've been doing just fine with less than 20 grams fiber a day. I'm thinking I'll be OK with 18-25 grams a day.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fiber? No problem getting enough anymore

LOL I look back on this thread that I started when I first joined FD, started eating clean for the first time in my life. I think I was shocked at how little fiber I was getting when I started tracking (6-8 grams). So 30 grams of daily fiber seemed like it was in outer orbit for me.

Now without really trying, I'm getting at least 25 grams of fiber a day. My reports tell me I'm averaging around 32 grams weekly. A few times, by eating high fiber, low fat burritos shells along with black beans (homemade) I got a whopping 66 grams of fiber in one day. I didn't go hungry that day even though my calorie intake amounted to 1500.

Moral of the story? The journey continues!