Notices

The new guy. :)

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

Cool The new guy. :)

Hi guys, just found FitDay today, thought I'd take a moment to stop and post.

I started on a new regime last week, finally getting around to renewing the membership at the Y, and have been going since then.

I'm 6'3", and I think the last weigh at my doctor's office put me at around 425-445. I don't recall, it was early December. Edit - I'm 29, btw.

The main obstacles to my getting traction with this have been my job - working from home is great, but I miss the job I had prior to this where I was running around all day. I could see it in the mirror in my face - while I don't have a face that is common to what I see on other "big guys" it does have more to it than I'd like.

I've never really had a problem eating right - I love the things folks gross out on - greens, soy, (including plain soy milk) whole wheat, etc. I don't drink often (rarely) and I limit fast food mainly because of finances, but it's not that good anyway, health-wise as we all know.

I am taking medication for a hypoactive thyroid, and a maintenance drug for my gout (I can keep it under control by not having too much sugar, as that's my trigger, but exercise will cause it to surface, thus the need for the maintenance drug), and I had a scare last year in July when I thought a problem in the chest was what everyone fears it could be - fortunately in my case it was just GERD. So I'm taking stuff for that too. Who knew getting old sucked so much?

Since I've been going to the Y, I've noticed coats fitting better, and a leather jacket I got for Xmas from my fiance's family & her now fits around my middle without me having to suck it in too much.

I briefly explored the option for the Lapband (gastric bypass isn't even something I'm willing to consider), but I really wanted to give this a try first because I've never really been fully active like I'm aspiring to be. I used to ride my mountain bike a lot when I was younger, but I still ate too much for what I was doing.

So with the wedding looming in a year or so, I'm trying to make it so that I don't need to have a suit / clothing specially tailored for me. The date is not permanently set, we've just got it set tentatively for June, 2011.

FitDay has shown me why it's working so far - I put in my past history for the last 2 weeks, and I can see exactly why things are working so far. I realize that as I lose weight, the activity will have to go up, but so far, the results are promising, and this site is going to help a whole lot more hopefully.

Also, if you've ever seen the article, or saw him on Good Morning America (I believe that is the one) Heath Smith is a friend of mine. His feedback has been crucial to getting me started.

See you guys in the threads.

Last edited by siliconbased; 02-11-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: age
Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 AM
FitDay Member

Wanted to reply to offer ecouragement. I have found that by MAKING the time to enter your foods as you go, you really get a picture of what you are eating and how the percetages of carbs/protien/fat are ditributed. By seeing this, you can adjust as needed throughout the day. That is the gresatest benefit to tracking foods eaten with this tool. It really takes disciplin long term to track your foods. I know, because this is my first day back after a week off after tracking for a month and I can feel the difference in how I feel.
Stay the course. You will get to where you want.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lipperj
Wanted to reply to offer ecouragement. I have found that by MAKING the time to enter your foods as you go, you really get a picture of what you are eating and how the percetages of carbs/protien/fat are ditributed. By seeing this, you can adjust as needed throughout the day. That is the gresatest benefit to tracking foods eaten with this tool. It really takes disciplin long term to track your foods. I know, because this is my first day back after a week off after tracking for a month and I can feel the difference in how I feel.
Stay the course. You will get to where you want.
Thanks for the encouragement, I agree. I went over to my fiance's family's house last night where the dinner of choice was Pizza from a carryout place. Fortunately I found out what each slice would "cost" me, and I entered them in, truthfully. There's no reason to cheat on the food input because in the end you're only cheating yourself.

It quickly became apparent to me after entering in food for the past two days that I have nothing to worry about in my intake. I even have room to grow, which is nice knowing how well I do already. I'm going to be discussing these trends with my doctor, probably next week when I have a good week's worth of data for her to pool over. Can't wait to see the look on her face when she sees that I've been tracking it this intricately. LOL.

Ooh gonna surprise a lot of people I think.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

You guys are doing great, I lost 65 pounds about 1/1/2 years ago. I have never done a fad diet, just cut back. I found out that if I journaled my foods ( and activities) as soon as possible after meals, I was much more aware of what I was eating. I started using a site, weigh-ins.com (they have changed format now and I no longer use it). I quit the food journal about a year ago and as of November 2009, added 50 pounds back. I started the food journal again in mid November and so far it has proveing to be the trick that helps me. It takes a few minutes to look up calories but thats a small price to getting back in shape. I have been over 325 and dropped to 260, In November 09 I was back to 310. I am 277 today ( my goal is 240 by 11/1/2010). I'm 6'5". I shoot for 2000 calories a day, I mostly stay at 2000 or under during the week, I do go over on weekends but try to get a couple extra trips to the gym to help offset weekends.
I think keeping a food and activity journal may be one of the best tools you can use to get fit and stay on track. Even if you are at your goal, it has to help you stay on track.
Keep us posted on your success and good luck.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
FitDay Member

I've learned from a few sources online that making one day a week your "bad day" can actually boost your loss. The other nice thing is that you can do so without feeling guilty, largely one of the most inhibiting factors to the overall goal.

I don't go completely nuts, but I do not worry about what I have as much and then when Sunday hits, I'm right back on the course I set for myself. I'm not able to use a scale yet because the one at the Y I go to maxes out around 360, but I'll check on it at least once every two weeks to see if I'm getting any closer to being able to use it. My Doctor's office has one that I can use, so my next appointment should be interesting. I've gone from very little exercise to doing it 3 times a week, a minimum of 45 minutes. I'm very interested to see if my eating plan that I used 2 years ago can be coupled with 3x workouts, and what kind of change it brings. I think I said it already that coats are fitting better now than they used to, and I did start noticing a change in my jeans, especially the legs, after Friday's workout. I vow to never lose my resolve, and for me, this will never end. I will not stop going even once my goal weight has been attained. I want to keep it off, I want to feel like a million bucks every day.