Notices

In a stall....HELP!!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Angry In a stall....HELP!!!!

I statrted at 229 and the 1st week I lost 10 lbs but now I've been stuck at 119 for almost 1 1/2 weeks. I have 1600 cals a day and do jogging, bycicle, and even some aorobics with my wife but nothing.

what am I doing wrong?
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
FitDay Member

Everyone will lose a good chunk of weight when they first start and then level off. This happened to me and I lost nothing for about a week. Your body is adjusting to your new calorie load and exercise. Stay the course and in a few days the pounds will start coming off again just not at the same rate of 10lbs per week.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

me too!
If you are limiting your calories and exercising just be patient. Your body has had a bit of a shock and is adjusting. Stay with it and you will start losing again.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Stalled again?

I, too, had the same experience. I got stuck on a plateau for about a week then started losing again. Then I plateau again. A friend suggested the metabolism is what is stalled. Since you have cut back on food intake there may be periods during the day where your body goes into starvation mode. Trick it by eating small portions during the day (every 3-4 hours) so the body never gets that urge to stop losing. I have found that a tablespoon of peanut butter (all by itself) about 3:30 PM helps me make it to dinner time and eating a lite dinner. If I absolutely have to --- I will have another spoonful around 10:00 PM. It has worked for me and although I am losing at a slower rate, I am losing..... Try your own trick - just watch the carbs.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,

I have been losing weight for about 2 years now. I am 5'8", and started out at 200# straight up. I wasnt clinically obese, but my doctor was concerned. I initially wanted to lose 10 lbs. But at this point, I am happy to say that I have lost 43 lbs, I want to lose just a few more.

What you describe has been what I have been going through the entire time, but since I am not as heavy, it is in smaller chunks. So, I would lose 2 lbs in a week or two, and then go a week or two with no weight loss, then another 2 lb weight loss, then another few weeks would go by where I wouldn't lose any more weight.

Then, after several cycles of this, I found that I would "bottom out" and not lose any weight. In fact in some cases, months would go by without me losing a single pound. I finally figured out that when I stopped losing weight, it meant simply that something needed to change - either my workout (increasing cardio) or my eating habits (decreasing intake). Then, the weight would start to come off again, just like it had before.

When I initially started two years ago, I worked out by walking on a treadmill - 20 min was all I could do. Currently, I walk on the treadmill for an hour each morning (4 - 5 miles at an 8% grade, with 3 or 5 lb dumbells), I walk in afternoon, if the weather is condusive (another 2 - 3 miles on average 4 days per week), and every other day I do a resistance workout. Also, I try to keep my caloric intake to about 1700 calories per day (in reality it fluctuates between 1600 - 2200 -- and I usually have a "cheat day" on a weekly basis). So really, I can truthfully state that I walked off my 40+ lbs.

I have read that muscles have a "memory" and when they get used to performing a certain action, they become more efficient. So when this happens, you just need to "switch things up," change your routine - by lengthening it or doing something else altogether.

But, I think what you are going through is normal - and it actually means that you are making progress. Stick with it, and you will see that scale start dropping again.