Notices

Drastic Fluctuation... What Gives?

Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
FitDay Member

Default Drastic Fluctuation... What Gives?

Hi guys, first post here but have been using FitDay since July '10. I was 250lb. when I began and I'm at 214 now.

I've been able to achieve this by 1) adjusting diet fairly radically 2) walking/jogging at first (more walking than jogging) 3) buying a bicycle and riding every day after work 4) eventually being able to job a 5K every night. I'm in the best Cardiovascular shape of my life right now but it feels I may have plateaud.

Here's the thing... Its freezing cold in NYC right now and for the past few weeks. I ahvent been able to job for a few days in a row. Also, I have an extra meal on some days. I weighed myself yesterday and I went from 214.5lb. to 222 in 5 days! Is this normal?

Will I need to jog/bike every day of my life to maintain this weight? My father is big so am I predisposed to being fat? I'm 28 yrs old and 6'3
Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Can you weigh 7 pounds more in 5 days? Of course. Can you gain 7 pounds of fat in 5 days? Probably not. I would imagine that most, if not all of that weight is fluid retention. I see swings sometime, especially after a meal out. A couple meals at restaurants and/or your "extra" meal could very well give your body enough sodium to retain a bunch of fluid weight.

I had a little bit of a plateau back along and cut back on carbs some more and the losses restarted. Really, it's all a numbers game--if you don't consistanly burn more calories than you take in, you'll maintain or gain.

I'd take a good look at your calorie intake and see if you can't find some other exercise for when the weather fails to cooperate.

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Bundle up and run! I love running in that freezing cold, rainy, slushy NYC weather! Just as much as running on the beach!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by benzpiece
Hi guys, first post here but have been using FitDay since July '10. I was 250lb. when I began and I'm at 214 now.

I've been able to achieve this by 1) adjusting diet fairly radically 2) walking/jogging at first (more walking than jogging) 3) buying a bicycle and riding every day after work 4) eventually being able to job a 5K every night. I'm in the best Cardiovascular shape of my life right now but it feels I may have plateaud.

Here's the thing... Its freezing cold in NYC right now and for the past few weeks. I ahvent been able to job for a few days in a row. Also, I have an extra meal on some days. I weighed myself yesterday and I went from 214.5lb. to 222 in 5 days! Is this normal?

Will I need to jog/bike every day of my life to maintain this weight? My father is big so am I predisposed to being fat? I'm 28 yrs old and 6'3
Hello to benzpiece.....I am Albie...I am a decent caring human being but I must warn you....My parents are from the Joisey Schuaw....I am a native NuYawka....What I'm about to write, I do so only with the best of intentions and love for a fellow NuYawka, in terms that perhaps only a NuYawka could understand...Thus, my disclaimer has concluded....First off...good for you in taking steps to better yourself....You are self aware and motivated....You are also in the age range of my children....congratulations on making it this far....I am inclined to suspect your lack of imagination....perhaps clarification is needed...NYC, many skyscrapers, many steps up and down, warm inside, out of the weather, don't you know a super somewhere who will give you access?...or....heading out into 6th Avenue in running shoes.....dodging some of those yellow vehicles for an hour at a time?...or....meandering through Central Park with a loose twenty hanging out of your pocket...and then doing some nifty interval running trying to avoid being mugged....oh....the list could go on.....FYI.........you know I'm messin' with you...I now live in the Chicagoland area....started here on 10/04/2010 at 252 lbs and today, 02/11/2011....I am at 191 lbs on track to hit my target weight of 183 lbs....what I weighed when I got married in 1977.....You can do it...stick to it!....I got your back young brother!...look me up back here on the forums.....albie@round