Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > MENíS ONLY CORNER > Support group for just men
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default What was the final straw?

Some kid in a supermarket said "Mummy, why does that man have boobs". Don't we have wonderful children in the UK? It did give me the impetus I needed to start losing weight though.

What triggered you to start?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member

i am a natural bodybuilder, what got me started was when i was boxing (in the navy) and i got knockout a couple of time and after one match blood came out of my nose and i was not to thrilled with that, but i loved to workout and the rest is history.
conrad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default Manboobs....always a good motivator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmnsuk View Post
Some kid in a supermarket said "Mummy, why does that man have boobs". Don't we have wonderful children in the UK? It did give me the impetus I needed to start losing weight though.

What triggered you to start?
Hey there. Just joined today and laughed when I seen your post. Yep the ol' moobs are one of the main reasons I've decided to get tough with myself. Although not 'massively' overweight I tend to put the pounds on my chest rather than my gut so it's a bit of a double whammy [overweight and look kinda stupid].

But the final straw was being floored by a virus over the holiday period just recently and finding out a catalogue of horrors after getting blood tests [raised cholesterol/blood pressure, impaired liver fucntion and thyroid problems to name but a few]. My GP says that most of these symptoms are caused by the virus I've had but I know in my heart that I'm no longer as fit as I used to be and I'm just sick and tired of being sick and tired!!

I used to be super fit about ten years ago and I know that I can get back there with a bit of patience, care and dedication. I'm gonna prove to myself that life does begin at 40 as the saying goes.

Anyway enough of my rambling. I just had to tell someone. Best of luck to you. I know you'll [we'll] get there if you just stick at it mate.
Badger69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Saw 220 on the scale and admitted that my clothes don't fit.
lamafri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member

My four year old daughter was jumping over my shadow at Sea World last month. She looked up at me and said "daddy.. I can jump over your whole shadow even though you are fat!"

I weighed myself soon after that and saw 260. Set a goal of 200 by September and I will do it.

I also hate being called "big guy".
farr1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member

i gained ~60 lbs in the past 2 years being lethargic and stretch marks snuck up on my and i hate them, so i decided to do something about it!
jmswanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member

The Moobs,the grunting & groaning just to tie my shoes, feelin' crappy & lethargic and having to buy larger & larger clothes and the general feeling of disgust from being a fatazz.
The topper was when my Doctor told me I was starting to show signs of Type II Diabetes and she was giving me 3 months to get things under control or I was going to have to go on meds
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw07 View Post
The Moobs,the grunting & groaning just to tie my shoes, feelin' crappy & lethargic and having to buy larger & larger clothes and the general feeling of disgust from being a fatazz.
The topper was when my Doctor told me I was starting to show signs of Type II Diabetes and she was giving me 3 months to get things under control or I was going to have to go on meds
That is a scary conversation to have with a doctor. Staving off diabetes is part of my motivation as well since in runs in my family. Good luck!
farr1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farr1022 View Post
That is a scary conversation to have with a doctor. Staving off diabetes is part of my motivation as well since in runs in my family. Good luck!
It runs on both sides of my family
However, my last 2 test results (every 3 months) showed that I am no where near the pre-Diabetes state that I was in back in July.
Feels good to have a clean bill of health.
sw07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I just try to fix in my mind the anger at that kid and the disgust I felt for myself when I realized it was MY fault.

Funnily enough I work in a team of 7 and 5 of us are eating healthy and getting active. The other teams are getting fed up of us all talking diets all the time

Tags
moobs, motivation