Notices

*The No-Cheating* Pact

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 AM
FitDay Member

Day 3 complete, it was perfect. I got an amazing workout, and didn't have a hard time getting my hands on what I needed to eat. Looking forward to day 4.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM
FitDay Member

Hey I looked at your log and if you really only ate 1300 calories thats definitely not enough. This is probably what causes you to have those unwanted slip ups. I think you would probably lose more weight if you upped your calorie intake to at least 2000. When you don't get enough calories your body will hang on to anything you do get and it will likely hinder your weight loss. Eating more will also curb your hunger and can bring you longer periods of consistency with your eating plan.

I get about 2330 calories a day, all whole foods like veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains, mixed nuts, low-fat cheese/milk and whey protein here and there. I have been losing weight and its been a breeze to stay on my eating plan, I rarely get hungry. Also the variety of foods I eat ensure that I'm getting all the RDA of vitamins/minerals from natural sources.

It looks like you are eating only protein, I think you need more variety. Also try to eat less of the pre-made meal options like protein bars/shakes, and try to eat more whole foods. Not having enough variety in your diet will mean not getting the vitamins/minerals you need, which makes it tough to build muscle, no matter how much protein you eat. Most multivitamins have low absorption rates, and you are much better off getting the goods from real food.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:54 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
Hey I looked at your log and if you really only ate 1300 calories thats definitely not enough. This is probably what causes you to have those unwanted slip ups. I think you would probably lose more weight if you upped your calorie intake to at least 2000. When you don't get enough calories your body will hang on to anything you do get and it will likely hinder your weight loss. Eating more will also curb your hunger and can bring you longer periods of consistency with your eating plan.

I get about 2330 calories a day, all whole foods like veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains, mixed nuts, low-fat cheese/milk and whey protein here and there. I have been losing weight and its been a breeze to stay on my eating plan, I rarely get hungry. Also the variety of foods I eat ensure that I'm getting all the RDA of vitamins/minerals from natural sources.

It looks like you are eating only protein, I think you need more variety. Also try to eat less of the pre-made meal options like protein bars/shakes, and try to eat more whole foods. Not having enough variety in your diet will mean not getting the vitamins/minerals you need, which makes it tough to build muscle, no matter how much protein you eat. Most multivitamins have low absorption rates, and you are much better off getting the goods from real food.
I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan on a FOB with <60 people. The only reason I have internet access is because I provide Tactical Sat COMMS for Infantry and Special Forces. I'm literally one of 3 people who have internet or a phone here, I haven't even showered in 3 weeks. I have to use baby wipes if that gives you an idea of the kind of environment I live in. So my only food options are MREs (high calorie, highly processed foods) and every once in a while we get real good (i.e. this morning we had sausage and bacon!). I would prefer to have more whole foods, not necessarily grains or whole wheat because I'm on a high dietary fat/protein, low carb, almost ketogenic diet, but I would love some green veggies.

I don't live in a very stable environment. We take incoming fire and direct fire daily and sometimes eating a "meal" isn't practical because there is something that needs to be done, or I literally don't have the means to do it.

So while I really appreciate the advice, I'm literally doing the best that I can. I am making consistent fat loss ( I don't change my weight on my profile because I don't actually have a scale, I record changes with my calipers and tape measure) while maintaing, if not gaining, strength. I know my body very well and know when I'm getting enough to eat and when I'm not and at 1,400-1,600 calories I feel great.

*Note*

The unwanted slip up was a once in almost 4 months of cutting event. I never have urges because I'm almost always satiated.

Last edited by heytred; 07-26-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM
FitDay Member

Also if you are looking at my FoodLog for July 27th (which has me at 1,303 calories) it's an icomplete log. I've logged what I've eaten for breakfast and what I have planned for lunch, my small snacks, and my PWO but my dinner isn't included yet, because well... I don't know what I'll be able to have for dinner yet. So my daily intake for today will probably be closer to 1,650-1,700 calories by the time the day is over.

But I do appreciate the input and advice.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:54 AM
FitDay Member

heytred,
Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration. Your success with your limited food choices and especially the lack of fresh vegetables shows what can be accomplished when you really want it and are ready to quit using your circumstances as excuses.

Others here need to understand that you have already reached a point, fitness and bodyfat % wise, that many here envy. You are already at only 13% bodyfat and are trying to get rid of the last 3% to attain your goal. The fact that you have limited workout equipment and limited ability for cardio work makes your acheivments only more commendable.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:00 AM
FitDay Member

I have lost 8 pounds and I am going to try so hard to not go back. The bad part is we are going on vacation next week (bad thing part one) so we are trying to not buy a lot of groceries (bad thing part 2) that will stay at the house and go bad while we are away. So, the food choices around here are pretty limited right now.

Vacation is going to be tough, but trying is all I can do.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by collegefbfan8898
I have lost 8 pounds and I am going to try so hard to not go back. The bad part is we are going on vacation next week (bad thing part one) so we are trying to not buy a lot of groceries (bad thing part 2) that will stay at the house and go bad while we are away. So, the food choices around here are pretty limited right now.

Vacation is going to be tough, but trying is all I can do.

Thanks.
Don't get discouraged man, you've made great progress so far. Don't let less than perfect conditions hinder your ability to get fit. Mind over matter.

Thanks for the kind words, you just gotta work with what you can. Luckily, I just got a break, I was given a slot on a convoy to another FOB where I'll stay for the next week. Still not the best place in the world, but they have real food and a real gym. God works wonders. =]]

Day 4 down.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 AM
FitDay Member

Day 6 down, I haven't been able to access the internet for a few days because I'm at a new FOB. It's got great food (so easy to stay on the diet with an actual salad at lunch and dinner) and I got to take a shower for the first time in 3 weeks. I feel like a new man. Looking to the one week mark.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:53 AM
FitDay Member

Another day down, it's so easy here to eat healthy... There are all kinds of cookies, cakes, pecan pie, Clif Bars, anything you could want but they don't even tempt me because I actually have good food to eat.

Had Turkey with Asparagus (that was actually steamed right!) a salad and some Soy Milk for dinner. Sooooo good! Even was able to grab and apple and some peanut butter to take to work for a snack. All in all, I'm in a great mood. Plus being able to run again is only making it better.

Haven't been to keen about updating my log as meticulously (actually at all) like I was before, I'm sure I'll start doing it again when I'm back to my normal FOB. I'm still hitting my calories and macros daily even if I'm not able to be 100% accurate with it. But I'm gonna enjoy this while I can. The Log is definitely helping.

One week of the Pact down, looking forward to the next.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

sounds like you're eating well, good to hear!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.