Notices

not seeing results

Old 01-15-2010, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default not seeing results

Hello, my name is James and I am new to fitday. I recently started an awesome workout program (Turbulence Training) a couple weeks ago. I completely changed my diet from only eating 1 meal a day at dinner (mostly fatty foods) to eating more healthy (fruits/veggies) throughout the day with a normal meal in the evenings which usually consists of something along the lines of grilled chicken breast, baked potato, broccoli (or something close to that). The problem is this: since starting the workout and the new way of eating, I have seen absolutly no change in my weight. According to the information I have received on this site- I am well below (1850) my suggested calorie intake (2200) for weight loss, but I'm just not seeing anything happen. This is a TREMENDOUS motivation killer. I am currently 38 years old and at about 195lbs. If anyone has any insight to what may be my problem it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

Hey james,

Don't give up! Sometimes when you first start a workout program and a diet the weight doesn't seem to change, but the shape of your body will. You should gauge your success by how your clothing fits and your measurements. Also if you don't eat enough calories your body will go into starvation mode and will hang on to everything you eat. Make sure you are eating a good breakfast with protein, which will kick start your metabolism. Be sure and drink the water, staying hydrated is important when you are working out and trying to lose fat. Watch your fruit intake, as fruit is full of sugars and has sabbatoged many a weight loss effort. Are you eating too many carbs? Remember carbs convert to sugar in your body. Try and avoid "white" food....white bread, white rice, white sugar, etc. If you eat potatoes, which by themselves with skin are fairly healthy, are very high in carbs and also convert easily to sugar in your body.

I probably shouldn't have responded to this thread, as I am not a man...but nobody else had, so I figured I would!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know what your workout plan is, but if you haven't been doing any kind of working out your body is in shock. Shock from working out and shock by the diet change. If you are just now working out for the first time in a good while and are now consuming chicken breast and good proteins, your body is going to use those to repair the muscle that hasn't been used in a while. So you may go through a leaning up period before you start losing actual weight. I would mess with the macronutrients a little to see if that changes anything. Up protein and reduce carbs. Take a protein shake after workout to feed the lean muscle mass. Keep the reduced calories. There is no end all program and your body tries to adjust to what is happening so this has to be a work in progress.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kathietaylor
Hey james,

Don't give up! Sometimes when you first start a workout program and a diet the weight doesn't seem to change, but the shape of your body will. You should gauge your success by how your clothing fits and your measurements. Also if you don't eat enough calories your body will go into starvation mode and will hang on to everything you eat. Make sure you are eating a good breakfast with protein, which will kick start your metabolism. Be sure and drink the water, staying hydrated is important when you are working out and trying to lose fat. Watch your fruit intake, as fruit is full of sugars and has sabbatoged many a weight loss effort. Are you eating too many carbs? Remember carbs convert to sugar in your body. Try and avoid "white" food....white bread, white rice, white sugar, etc. If you eat potatoes, which by themselves with skin are fairly healthy, are very high in carbs and also convert easily to sugar in your body.

I probably shouldn't have responded to this thread, as I am not a man...but nobody else had, so I figured I would!
Thank-you for your reply...I will definitely take your advice on watching the carbs and white food. Maybe I need to take a closer look at what I'm eating...
Old 01-15-2010, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Williams45
I don't know what your workout plan is, but if you haven't been doing any kind of working out your body is in shock. Shock from working out and shock by the diet change. If you are just now working out for the first time in a good while and are now consuming chicken breast and good proteins, your body is going to use those to repair the muscle that hasn't been used in a while. So you may go through a leaning up period before you start losing actual weight. I would mess with the macronutrients a little to see if that changes anything. Up protein and reduce carbs. Take a protein shake after workout to feed the lean muscle mass. Keep the reduced calories. There is no end all program and your body tries to adjust to what is happening so this has to be a work in progress.
Thank-you for your reply. In the past I've tried to work-out and I've tried to diet-but this is the first time I've tried to do both at the same time so I can see how your "shock" theory may be accurate. I will definatley change things up and see what happens.. Any good recipes for a healthy smoothie?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:32 AM
FitDay Member

hey james, man i go through the same thing sometimes, i agree with everyone take on it but yes you have to keep pushing sometimes it takes time, but one day after all the adjustments in your body take place you will see the swoosh happen where it will start coming off, it will slow up again, and swoosh it comes off, sometimes your weight will go up and two weeks later it will swoosh again so hang in there.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 PM
FitDay Member

Starting exercise often causes water to be retained in the muscles for a time. You will probably find a correction at your next weekly weigh in. Unfortunately with losing weight patience is the key. If you are execising and your calories are below maintenance you WILL lose weight. If you don't (after 2-3 weeks) then you have to reassess calories and activities to find out where you are going wrong.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 AM
FitDay Member

more than likely you're not seeing results because of an abrupt change in your bodies functions that it doesnt know what "normal" is for it since you changed from your previous lifestyle. the worst thing you could do is give up! everyone is different and you may take longer to adjust, but once you do results will flow in and you'll have more motivation. dont give up just yet and make sure you're drinking enough water and getting plenty of sleep!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hey James, I just joined fitday as well and I am starting my whole eating right and exercise routine I had about 5 years ago. When i first started that routine, it took me a month to see a weight difference and any type of results in my body. Don't give up. I dropped about 25 pounds in a matter of 3 months. I did exactly what you did. I brought down my calorie intake and upped my activity. Like everyone else is telling you, I also stopped eating white foods. I went from eating white rice to brown rice, i ate whole wheat bread with no sugar added, honey instead of sugar substitutes to sweeten my morning oatmeal and no egg yolks. Your body goes through a lot when it's not used to doing what you're doing now. keep in there! You'll see the changes soon enough. I'm going back on my healthy living, since a year after I dropped all that weight, i gained it all back by not staying on that routine. I started last year, but now I'm committing myself to get back on the train and get healthy again.

Good job James! Keep working on it!

Alex
Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lone_eagle
Hey James, I just joined fitday as well and I am starting my whole eating right and exercise routine I had about 5 years ago. When i first started that routine, it took me a month to see a weight difference and any type of results in my body. Don't give up. I dropped about 25 pounds in a matter of 3 months. I did exactly what you did. I brought down my calorie intake and upped my activity. Like everyone else is telling you, I also stopped eating white foods. I went from eating white rice to brown rice, i ate whole wheat bread with no sugar added, honey instead of sugar substitutes to sweeten my morning oatmeal and no egg yolks. Your body goes through a lot when it's not used to doing what you're doing now. keep in there! You'll see the changes soon enough. I'm going back on my healthy living, since a year after I dropped all that weight, i gained it all back by not staying on that routine. I started last year, but now I'm committing myself to get back on the train and get healthy again.

Good job James! Keep working on it!

Alex
Thanks alex- I'll keep plugging away...Congratulations on getting back into it, I hope it works out for both of us...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.