Notices

Caloric Defecit and FitDay Estimation Accuracy...

Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Caloric Defecit and FitDay Estimation Accuracy...

So, I'm fairly knowledgable when it comes to losing weight and staying in shape but would like some insight. I'm 5'9 and 21 years old. In the 3 months I've been deployed to Afghanistan I've lost 28 lbs (from 185 lbs to 157 @ 5'9 ) and increased my strength and cardiovascular endurance immensely at the same time.

I just joined FitDay today (thank God that it isn't blocked on my Afghan Domain) and logged literally everything I ate. Luckily every single thing I eat out here (mainly MREs) have nutritional data so it's very easy to monitor my calories and macros even in this restricted environment.

My question is for the accuracy of FitDay's measurements as far as Calorie Consumption and calories burned through my daily activity. It says that for today I was in a 1,012 calorie defecit (2,080 eaten, 3,192 burned). Now I know that my calories in is exact, but what I'm asking basically is if anyone knows how close to actuality FitDay's estimations are for my calories burned. (Taking into account that I was very accurate about logging my activity level and exercise performed today).

Sorry if this is a newbish thread, I'm just curious. Any help is appreciated.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for your service, heytred.

And congrats on your great success so far--fitness-wise, I'm coming from a similar place as you: 5"10", started out around 195ish, currently 183, need to get to sub-165. Unfortunately, I've got 16 yrs on you, and miss my 21yo metabolism.

I haven't been using the activity tracker here, and have actually started logging my calories elsewhere, but am interested in hearing experienced user opinions on this as well.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

I want to thank you too. You guys are my heroes.
I try to be honest with my calories and activities and think fitday may give a little too many calories on some activities but it is close. I have been showing just over -1000 calories a day and have lost over 60 pounds in 31 weeks. I heard the rule of thumb is -500 calories a day = 1 pound a week. That's not too bad off pace. It's a great tool and has helped me a great deal.
Please be safe and take care of yourself and you buddies.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by efduncan
I want to thank you too. You guys are my heroes.
I try to be honest with my calories and activities and think fitday may give a little too many calories on some activities but it is close. I have been showing just over -1000 calories a day and have lost over 60 pounds in 31 weeks. I heard the rule of thumb is -500 calories a day = 1 pound a week. That's not too bad off pace. It's a great tool and has helped me a great deal.
Please be safe and take care of yourself and you buddies.
First off, Thank you. Even though I feel like I'm not doing as much as some of the guys out here, I appreciate it.

Second, congrats on your weight loss! A 500 calorie defecit = 3500 a week, and 3500 calories if roughly equivalent to a pound of fat either +/- so that's pretty solid. But here I am at a 1,112(miscount in the OP! oops) calorie defecit (supposedly). Eh, I'm sure it's not exact, and even if it's off by a couple hundred calories, I'm still in a decent, stable defecit. I guess only time will tell. Thanks to both of you for the reply, hopefully this will get a few more posts and we'll see from more perspectives on the matter, and congrats and good luck on future weight loss. =]]
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by heytred
Second, congrats on your weight loss! A 500 calorie defecit = 3500 a week, and 3500 calories if roughly equivalent to a pound of fat either +/- so that's pretty solid. But here I am at a 1,112(miscount in the OP! oops) calorie defecit (supposedly). Eh, I'm sure it's not exact, and even if it's off by a couple hundred calories, I'm still in a decent, stable defecit. I guess only time will tell. =]]
Thanks for your service!

I think you just answered your question yourself. If you have been at a 1,112 deficit daily then you would have a deficit of 7784 calories per week. Over 12 weeks (3 months) your total calorie deficit would be 93,408 (12 x 7784 =93,408). 93,408/3500 = 26.68lbs. If you have lost 28lbs then the measurements are pretty close as the 1.32lb (only 4%) difference could easily be more or less water retention.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wondering same thing

I'm 6' 1" and 200 lbs. I'm training for my second half marathon of the year and run 3-4 times per week and do additional cross training and muscle building workouts. I've just started tracking calories consumed and burned here. First, I think my scale stinks. But I've been at a 700 to 1,000 calorie deficit each day so far for a few days. I've struggled just to get up to the calories eaten that I've reached so far. Trying to keep 40% protein and 30% fat and carbs is a tough game to play. So, if at the end of 7 days, I should lose around a lb? If my diet is a little higher in salt that week, I may not show any loss at all. I guess I won't be able to prove out until 3 to 4 weeks if I maintain my diet and activitiy level. Should I only weigh once per week? Should I get a scale with ounces on it ?

Heytred, it's not about what you do, but the fact that you had the courage to do it. You make all of us men here proud to be American, and a little embarrassed that we didn't do our part to serve. God Bless You.

Biff
Old 07-14-2010, 02:17 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
Thanks for your service!

I think you just answered your question yourself. If you have been at a 1,112 deficit daily then you would have a deficit of 7784 calories per week. Over 12 weeks (3 months) your total calorie deficit would be 93,408 (12 x 7784 =93,408). 93,408/3500 = 26.68lbs. If you have lost 28lbs then the measurements are pretty close as the 1.32lb (only 4%) difference could easily be more or less water retention.
Thanks! It's crazy that I've put so much time and effort over the last 3-3 1/2 months and I never even thought of just doing the simple math.

I just wish I could weight myself out here. Don't have a single scale on the whole FOB, not saying much because it's smaller than a football field, but hey. =/ For the next few months I have to judge progress by visuals alone, not that I've seen a mirror larger than 3x5 in. here either thouhg. lol.

Last edited by heytred; 07-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by biffmar4
I'm 6' 1" and 200 lbs. I've been at a 700 to 1,000 calorie deficit each day so far for a few days. So, if at the end of 7 days, I should lose around a lb?
Yes, you should see a 3/4 to 1 pound weight loss.

Originally Posted by biffmar4
Should I only weigh once per week? Should I get a scale with ounces on it ?
Some people can't handle weighing everyday. Some people get all freaked out when the weight doesn't go down or it even goes up due to water and unprocessed food. It depends on your mental state. I personnaly weigh daily. I also really like my digital scale with tenths of a pound (I would like it even better if it had ounces). I get motivated by just those tenths of a pound clicking off. Sometimes the scale moves up, but if I know I have been hitting my caloric goals then it isn't really body weight is is just water and the remnants of food waste.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff

Some people can't handle weighing everyday. Some people get all freaked out when the weight doesn't go down or it even goes up due to water and unprocessed food. It depends on your mental state. I personnaly weigh daily. I also really like my digital scale with tenths of a pound (I would like it even better if it had ounces). I get motivated by just those tenths of a pound clicking off. Sometimes the scale moves up, but if I know I have been hitting my caloric goals then it isn't really body weight is is just water and the remnants of food waste.
This.

If you are the kind of person with a strict regimented schedule (i.e. gym, meal timing, bathroom timing) I suggest weighing everyday and with a digital scale. It's great to see the tenths shed off over the course of the week and ultimately build up to the full lb. loss. If you are consistent with your diet and routine, you should never see a huge change and can track weight loss even daily in an efficient and accurate manner.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:38 PM
FitDay Member

Its funny to weigh then take a crap, then weigh again, you'd be amazed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.