Notices

Starting for what seems like the eightieth time.......

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Starting for what seems like the eightieth time.......

Came to fitday at the advice of my brother who used it to track his weightloss for his wedding. If I dont lose this weight, there wont ever be one of those for me. Anyone have any ideas for activities or workouts for a guy who used to play college basketball, is 25 years old, and weighs in at a whopping 528 lbs now? Im 7'2" tall, and hide some of it well, but I would like to get back to playing weight of 325. Any input you guys had would be greatly appreciated. Here's to a great day, and an even greater tomorrow!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

If those numbers are correct, I think you need to hire a trainer to help you. You are a special needs person. Good luck!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:03 AM
FitDay Member

First get your diet in check and the rest will follow.

Even if you do NO exercise, and you cut down your calories to 1750 a day, you will notice a dramatic drop in weight loss, although for someone as big as you I would stronlgy suggest tracking your calories for a week and then deducte 500 calories a week for a month to get down to your target calorie a week.

If you just cut out your food alltogether your body will go into starvation and wont lose weight, it will store more of it. So take it slow.

This will be a slow process - don't expect results in a month, it will take a good year of strict diet and nutrition as well as regular exercise to get you to your target.

A side note - get a friend, tell them your concerns about your weight and give them PERMISSION to ride you about it, make them give you determination.

When i'm home and I think, "I could go to the gym now.. but nah i'll go another day" You need someone who says GO TO THE GYM NOW. It also makes the process a lot more "enjoyable" with a friend

Good luck to you!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 AM
FitDay Member

Just accept it is time to get off you butt and get started is a huge first step. I'm a big person too, 2 1/2 years ago I was 325, at 6'5", that's not great but I could still run a mile and walk many more. I love to work out but do not get any where unless I add a good diet in with it. For the past 6 months, I have worked out 1 1/2 hours 4-6 times a week and my goal was to limit my calories to 2000. I have done great with the work outs but most days my calories are between 2200 and 3200. I have still dropped 60 pounds since November. I know the other guys are giving you a calorie goal. I think you being such a large person, they cannot give you a good opinion on the calories you need. I feel if you are honest and use the calorie and activity tools this web sites offers and do it every day, you will see for yourself what is needed to get the scale going the right direction. My advise is to become addicted to doing a daily weigh-in, journal everything you eat and drink then post a journal of your progress. It will only take 5 or 6 minuites a day but you will be able to see what works for you. Hang in there and we all wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lysady
First get your diet in check and the rest will follow.
I would stronlgy suggest tracking your calories for a week and then deducte 500 calories a week for a month to get down to your target calorie a week.

This will be a slow process - don't expect results in a month, it will take a good year of strict diet and nutrition as well as regular exercise to get you to your target.
I agree with most of what Lysady said except the time it will take you to lose the 200 lbs you stated at the rate Lysady suggested. A pound of bodyweight equates to 3500 calories. So if you take Lysady's advice and cut 500 calories a day (7 x 500 = 3500) you will lose about 1 lb a week so it would take you 200 weeks or 3 years and 11 months to lose 200 lbs.

There is nothing wrong with a pound a week loss but most people want to lose faster. Of course if you want to go faster your deficit will have to be greater. Most people can handle a caloric deficit of 700-800 per day some can handle 1000 or more before their body goes into self preservation (starvation) mode, slows down metabolism and stops weight loss.

Using a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator I found on walking.about.com I estimate your base metabolic rate between 4000 and 4800 (depending on your activity level) per day. I would shoot for a 700-800 calorie deficit a day. This will include restricting your food intake and any additional exercise. (Once you know your body can handle this you can gradually increase your caloric deficit to a level you are comfortable with.)

Keep your protein intake at 30% of your calories or .5 to 1g per pound of lean body weight, cut your simple carbs (white bread, and sugar) and stop drinking calories (soda and alcohol). Good Luck!!!
Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the courage to post your personal challenge.

I agree that you have some special needs and a trainer would be helpful...but

FIRST- you CAN do it. You have to believe that you can! You want it enough, and believe yourself to be deserving of what you want.

I recommend visualizing your goal and writing it down...then (I know it's cliche) COMMIT to that goal. Maybe it's a small thing like--I will buy a pedometer (at the dollar store) and walk 5000 steps tomorrow. Weight Watchers/Jenny recommend 10,000, but you will get there in time. Tomorrow is your 5,000 and that's the goal (maybe 3000-whatever you think you CAN achieve.)

It is important to think of why you have not succeeded in the past. The reason you keep failing is that you are probably not that strongly committed. That does not make you weak--it makes you human. For conquering the chllenge you have, I do recommend seeing a counselor (which may be low-cost or no-cost to you.) You have some questions you need answered. WHY are you eating the way you do? Why are you so big? There may be something in your past that causes youto use food as a drug. Whether or not there is, you can succeed, but you have to love yourself enough to fight for your life....

As far as other ideas/tips. I read a lot on the subject, do some kind of physical activity, and try to make good choices at meals. It doesn't mean you can't have beer and pizza or cakes and pies, but find limits that work toward your goal. Find out how to find balance. Body For Live (now in many thrift stores--is a good book for someone wanting a transformation.) Be advised, working out hurts. You basically tear your muscles and they regrow, but you can FEEL YOUR BODY healing and growing healthy muscles.

Now, lastly--don't try to lose weight so you can find a wife. It's an honorable goal, but many guys do thatm and then they get married and gain back the weight. If you want to lose weight to LIVE life to its fullest, you have to lose it for youself and no one else. I guarantee you that

You are a good man--show the world you have the courage to COMMIT to losing weight and getting healthy, and you will be a better husband and better man overall. THAT (not being thinner) will show a lady that you have the courage, strength, honor and ability to commit to something, and it will make you attractive.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:20 AM
FitDay Member

Firs off I am very glad that I found this site. I am in the same boat that you are and I think I just found my motivation (these forums). I am 33, 6'3" and weigh 370#.

I am an amiture and could not begin to give any good advice (actually plan on using what I am reading on this post). But there is one thing that I do know. Nike had it right when they came out with the slogan "Just Do It". When you are sitting there and you have time to get up and exercise (you don't even have to go to the gym! Look out your window...there is your gym if you wish) you are either going to or not. So...just do it. And do it for yourself, not for anyone else! And keep doing it until you can look at yourself in the mirror without a shirt on and feel good about yourself.

Just my 2 cents (which after reading it seem like they more to myself than you).
Old 06-22-2010, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

I watched this years "biggest loser" and was inspired as to what these contestant that were morbidly obese were capable of doing.-----I went out and bought the book "where did all the fat go" written by the doctor that supervises the show.---his program of calorie monitoring and exercise works.---it is possible for people to lose a lot of weight at home by controling the number of calories taken in and by exercising 1.5-2 hours a day.
you can do it---it works