Notices

70+ pounds gone!

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default 70+ pounds gone!

I just weighed at 228.8. In April, exactly 3 weeks after my 49th birthday I weighed 298.4. That was first thing in the morning. I guarantee you the night before I was over 300 pounds.

That day I didn't decide to lose 70 pounds. That was too overwhelming to consider. That day I thought about how fat I was. I thought about how I couldn't do my favorite thing in the world...backpack...with my kids. I thought about my near constant attacks of gout. I thought having just had my gall bladder removed in November. I thought about needing surgery for my umbilical hernia. I thought about the fact that I couldn't enjoy and amusement park with the cross country team I help coach because I couldn't fit comfortably in the rides. I thought about the fact that I was on my way to slumping on the couch and staying there and having my family live life and come back and tell me about it. I thought about my father suffering through pancreas cancer and my mother with leukemia and how I might be in worse health than them in some ways.

All I really thought, though, was I've got to lose a few pounds. A goal seemed too much. My real goals were so low I didn't dare think about them.

I started out on Atkins. I think I did 4 weeks of induction. The weight fell off. Eventually that bored me so I switched to just counting calories. The weight continued to drop. I started running. Very slowly at first (20 seconds of running--1 minute of walking--just 1/2 mile). Now I'm doing 2 minutes of running and 30 seconds of walking for 4 miles.

To make a long story short my dreams have come back. The cross country coach at our school is planning to retire and everyone seems to think I'm logical to replace him (I've been helping a lot because both my kids run), but I always said, no, the kids need a role model of someone in shape. I'd have to be under 200 lbs. before I applied. That doesn't seem stupid anymore. I've always wanted to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail when I retired (which should be at 59). I knew that wouldn't happen at 300 lbs and I had almost decided on giving up and just being a trail angel (someone who hangs out near the trail and does good deeds for hikers).

Heck, I'm going to be my wife in a 5K one day...maybe.

The thing is, my goals are back. My weight goals are reachable and I'm not so scared to articulate them now.

When I get to 222 I can get off of my sleep apnea machine.

When I get to 215, I'll no longer be obese (I was morbidly obese).

When I get to 199, well I'll be under 200

When I get to 179, I'll be in the healthy weight range

When I get to 150, I'll be at my ideal weight.

I'm doing it.

Fitday has been here almost every day. The second day of this journey I found it on line and figured I'd just use it to log my weight, but you people have made it happen. THANKS!!!

I just thought when I weighed. Wow! 220's. I honestly never thought I'd make it there again in my life.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

You really are doing it! Congratulations on your success so far and best wishes for a continued success! I love your enthusiasm!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Isn't it a great feeling to know that dreams dont merely have to be dreams anymore? You are doing so well and I am very proud of you. Keep setting those mini goals on your way to your big goal. You will get there.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:40 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! You are rocking it! You can so do this. And what an inspiration to all of the kids you are around! Keep up the great work! I look forward to hearing about your continued success!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Matty, Way to go! That is a huge achievement and you should be very proud of yourself. Keeping me inspired... one of my goals is to get off my CPAP machine - your success lets me believe it is doable.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Matty math, that is such great news I share in your victory!, stay focused and continue to fight ! Nice work !
Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
FitDay Member

Well, it took me two more weeks, but now I'm under 225 and I'm staring at that 222 goal. I've want to be under that when I go back to my teaching job so that I can do a school year without sleeping with that CPAP machine. I think I'll make it. 3 pounds in 8 days. Hard exercise and 1800 calories a day ought to do it.

I'm 18 days ahead of a goal sheet I made back at in May. I'll be trying a 4 mile run this weekend.

3/4 of the way to 200 from 300 and 1/2 of the way to my ultimate goal of 150 pounds.

I'm very happy tonight.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM

that's great! good for you!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

A little update. I made my 4-mile run this morning and I rocked it! My BMI went under 31 today. Less than 7 pounds to go and I'll no longer be obese! Plus my blood pressure was 93/58 and my pulse was 53 at a screening yesterday. Pretty good for a guy who was morbidly obese 4 months ago.

Last edited by mattymath; 08-19-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Ran 4.5 miles today and my weight is now under 220 at 218.4. I am almost down to overweight instead of obese. ~82 pounds lost. Woo hoo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.