how to measure success?

Old 07-30-2012, 04:45 AM
FitDay Member

Bo - How awesome!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

Wink A bit late in the game...but here it goes

Hi Bo,

So, I know that this input is really late in the game, and what you've decided is doing well for you, but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in anyways. These are my "tricks"

1 I set 5% goals, because I find them to be more manageable than looking at the big picture, and even a 10% looks daunting on some days!

2 I'm working on my weight, but not obsessing about it. I expect to average a 0.5-1# loss per week, but so far have actually averaged almost 2# per week . I feel that this is healthier than having a drastic drop to quickly... after several nutrition classes I have seen what sudden losses can do to your internal organs, and I personally would rather not end up with stones in almost every organ !

3 I only weigh once a week, on the same day, at the same time. If I weighed at home, it would be first thing in the morning, before consuming anything (including water) and after doing my morning business. Unfortunately for me I weigh in at around 5:30pm, and there are about 30 people around, so that just doesn't work

4 I track on paper instead of online, but that's mostly because I don't have access to a computer on a regular basis, and can't afford a smart phone at this time. I think I would track on paper anyways and log it when I got home because fd seems to be pretty slow in the food log field, but taking a quick look at daily intake can really help to keep you on track. I do make it a point to log in and track my weight ASAP, and I love to see the graph going down with each entry (it's only gone up once since I've started tracking, and that was only about 1#...everyone has an occasional bad week )

5 I don't worry about my calorie, fat, protein, carb, or fiber% right now, but concentrate on eating as much lean protein, produce, and whole grains as possible, only allowing myself an occasional treat along the way. I find this method to be pretty self regulating.

6 I don't have an official workout at this time, but I do walk every day, and get in the pool as often as possible. I'm hoping that I will have the financial and physical ability to improve this soon, but walking is still doing the trick right now.

7 I get together with a friend once a month and do body measurements. My first was on 7/13, and I'd already lost 7" by 8/1...Looking forward to what the tape will say on 9/1. Having the measurement numbers is helpful to look at when the scale isn't moving. Because muscle is denser than fat, if you are losing inches, you know that you are on the right track.

8 Find a way to stay accountable. Most people here use fd as their primary check in and accountability method, but I prefer face to face communication. It's easier for me because I don't have daily access, but it also keeps me honest. If I'm only talking online, I can fudge the numbers a bit and hope to catch up later, but if I'm actually standing in front of someone that just doesn't work.

9 Remember that your program will only work as well as you allow it to, so don't fall back into destructive patterns. I'm proof that you can undo all of your hard work in a very short period of time if you don't stay focused.

10 Comments from people around you can both help and hinder. Make sure that you have a healthy filter in place that only lets the good and encouraging comments through. There will most likely be at least one person around you that will try to sabotage you at every turn. This is usually because they are jealous that you are succeeding where they have failed, or they feel threatened about a possible change in your relationship (losing weight and becoming healthier tends to increase self esteem, and people with healthy self esteem usually don't put up being taken advantage of)

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Last edited by 4.a.healthier.me; 08-03-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-06-2012, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

I love hearing what works for people!, I like the 5% goal theory, at times I do feel the 18.5 lbs block goal are a bit much, but I think it makes me fight harder? I too weigh in the am without consuming anything. I am trying now to expand my menus so not to get board, which I tend to do, how ever I really like the fresh/ frozen fruit with the low fat yogurt and kashi crumbles it appeals to most of my sense smell, taste, sight, and feeling ( texture )
Friday I made Mahi- mahi fajitas and everyone liked them !,,

Thanks for jumping in !
Old 08-07-2012, 12:58 AM
FitDay Member

Wink Progress

Today my fasting blood sugar was 109 , it was as high as 137. , my blood pres. was 118/76 ( medicated) when before it was 135/95 ( medicated)

I am able to use the second hole in my new belt comfortably. still have ankle knee and hip pain after working in the shop all day but I know it will get better,

Friday I go to the Dr. for lab work and then back on the 14th to review,
I have to work more exercise into the day, I miss it.

I am thankful for all of you and for the person or persons who put this great site up. I am sure in my life it was time to do this but this place and its people make me accountable,
I mean it !

Bo
Old 08-07-2012, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

Having seen this thread I have just realised that I have lost 31lb without celebrating one single goal on the way there. I have been so focused on getting to the end and I still have 49lb to go before I get there.

I never celebrated anything, getting a personal trainer and completing my sessions, getting a gym membership, completing a full month of sessions, losing 31lb, not a thing. I have been so focused on beating myself up because I didn't get to the goal weight before my wedding or because I didn't manage to complete a particular exercise within my training sessions.

Hmmm I think I should really celebrate some of these smaller achievements instead of having an all or nothing attitude.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Icewithin
Having seen this thread I have just realised that I have lost 31lb without celebrating one single goal on the way there. I have been so focused on getting to the end and I still have 49lb to go before I get there.

I never celebrated anything, getting a personal trainer and completing my sessions, getting a gym membership, completing a full month of sessions, losing 31lb, not a thing. I have been so focused on beating myself up because I didn't get to the goal weight before my wedding or because I didn't manage to complete a particular exercise within my training sessions.

Hmmm I think I should really celebrate some of these smaller achievements instead of having an all or nothing attitude.
Hey, you have a lot to celebrate! And an "all or nothing attitude," for me at least, is what leads me to give up.

I am working on mini-goals. The first one was simply eating a healthy breakfast every morning. Now I have met my first mini-weight-loss goal (only 7 lbs, but a start), and in my 6th week of rowing twice a week, and am trying to think of something non-food as a reward.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:03 AM
FitDay Member

icewithin and JaimeMWS,

first to Icewithin in one or a few of my older post I had focused alot on getting to the goal weight, nothing would make me loose focus on that , but when I got there I thought it would all take care of it self, I was so wrong!.. as I lost over 80 lbs three times in my life,, the celebrations are not "partys' but just an atta boy for me!. and I find it boosts my outlook for the next goal. again this is what works for me

JaimeMWS, I have shared the all or nothing attutude and when I would find myself in an eating spot, I would make bad choices and think Oh well I blew it, now I take it as a challenge and I make the best possible choice, and I am happier with it!,

so in short I feel it is needed to celebrate our little victories, as it helps build our ability to fight !

All t he best Bo
Old 08-07-2012, 10:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by botoepfer
Today my fasting blood sugar was 109 , it was as high as 137. , my blood pres. was 118/76 ( medicated) when before it was 135/95 ( medicated)

I am able to use the second hole in my new belt comfortably. still have ankle knee and hip pain after working in the shop all day but I know it will get better,

Friday I go to the Dr. for lab work and then back on the 14th to review,
I have to work more exercise into the day, I miss it.

I am thankful for all of you and for the person or persons who put this great site up. I am sure in my life it was time to do this but this place and its people make me accountable,
I mean it !

Bo
Bo that is AWESOME! So great to see successes, especially when they are clearly reflected in improve health. Keep up the great work. I suspect your labs will be equally positive.

And yes, I am sure the joint pain will diminish with your weight. I can't wait to see the post the day you realize you were on your feet all day and still feel good!
Old 08-08-2012, 02:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Pam
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default new lab results!

I have lost 40 of my 185 to loose, in the time since April here is what things look like

4/05/2012 ...... 8/10/2012

Total Cholesterol 156 ... 149
HDL 33... 27
LDL 71... 84
Triglycerides 262... 190
VLDL 52... 38
A1c 6.8%... 6.2%
BUN/Creatinine 21... 15
Glucose Serum 114... 96

Not sure whats up with the LDL
B. P/ was 188/72 meds get reduced soon!

Thanks for the support

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.