Notices

I need some help!!!!

Old 03-16-2010, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know all that much about your meds., which may or may not be causing your HR difficulties. There are lots of different meds out there for ADD. You might also try green tea, I have a little bit of ADD and find that copious amounts of green tea, gives me quite a bit more energy and focus.

I do know that my HR is 145-185 when I'm running and that's very typical for my age, in fact that's pretty much the recommended range for a cardio workout for a 40 something female. That being said, how is your caffeine intake? You might try cutting back on that a bit and see if you even out. I don't use caffeine after 12:00 noon, because I have a heart condition and too much caffeine causes it to flare up. I also think you should talk to your doctor, and possibly see a cardiologist. My husband who is about your age has a heart condition that causes his HR to flare and it can happen anytime, but exercise and humidity almost always cause it to skyrocket and stay there. His situation is under control momentarily with medication but he will eventually need surgery to fix it.

You might also want to examine the labels on any supplements that you are taking. You would be surprised at how often my mother has to treat patients that come in to the ER, with a racing heart only to discover that they've been using some sort of herbal remedy, energy drink, nutritional supplement or they've ODed on Starbucks. So read your labels and do some research.

You know it's only human to backslide a little, and a couple of days off the workout routine is not a big problem in life. You wanted a better healthier you, well now you've got it, but in order to keep it you have to do at least the minimum maintenance almost every day. It's like having a pet really. The other thing I might suggest is that you might be a little bored with the P90X thing, which would be a typical ADD reaction since you've finished once already. So how about getting a few new workouts, to mix in with P90X, maybe something fun like the Wii Fit Plus. It's a lot easier than P90X, but addicting in it's own way. I've also heard good things about the Biggest Loser workout, maybe Jillian Michaels can kick you in the butt.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
I don't know all that much about your meds., which may or may not be causing your HR difficulties. There are lots of different meds out there for ADD. You might also try green tea, I have a little bit of ADD and find that copious amounts of green tea, gives me quite a bit more energy and focus.

I do know that my HR is 145-185 when I'm running and that's very typical for my age, in fact that's pretty much the recommended range for a cardio workout for a 40 something female. That being said, how is your caffeine intake? You might try cutting back on that a bit and see if you even out. I don't use caffeine after 12:00 noon, because I have a heart condition and too much caffeine causes it to flare up. I also think you should talk to your doctor, and possibly see a cardiologist. My husband who is about your age has a heart condition that causes his HR to flare and it can happen anytime, but exercise and humidity almost always cause it to skyrocket and stay there. His situation is under control momentarily with medication but he will eventually need surgery to fix it.

You might also want to examine the labels on any supplements that you are taking. You would be surprised at how often my mother has to treat patients that come in to the ER, with a racing heart only to discover that they've been using some sort of herbal remedy, energy drink, nutritional supplement or they've ODed on Starbucks. So read your labels and do some research.

You know it's only human to backslide a little, and a couple of days off the workout routine is not a big problem in life. You wanted a better healthier you, well now you've got it, but in order to keep it you have to do at least the minimum maintenance almost every day. It's like having a pet really. The other thing I might suggest is that you might be a little bored with the P90X thing, which would be a typical ADD reaction since you've finished once already. So how about getting a few new workouts, to mix in with P90X, maybe something fun like the Wii Fit Plus. It's a lot easier than P90X, but addicting in it's own way. I've also heard good things about the Biggest Loser workout, maybe Jillian Michaels can kick you in the butt.
you hit on some key points. Without a doubt I was getting bored with P90X. Last week I started my own routine, which is just some weight training 3 days a week, some ab routines and walking. My HR only pegged out at 200bpm on Plyometrics, which I no longer do.
I jog (for short distances) sometimes when I go for a walk. At that point my HR gets around 180-186bpm I assumed that was way too high because I was told that my max heart rate should be 220 minus my age, which would put my MAX at 182bpm. I thought targeted zone is 65%-85% (118-155) of max HR. So yours gets to 185 and you are 40 something, and that's normal? Maybe I'm normal... LOL
I hate to sound paranoyd about it especially if there isn't a real problem. Does anyone else monitor their HR?
As for cafeine, I ONLY drink water and eat very little chocolate now. I got off of my green tea pills b/c it contained caffeine.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
you hit on some key points. Without a doubt I was getting bored with P90X. Last week I started my own routine, which is just some weight training 3 days a week, some ab routines and walking. My HR only pegged out at 200bpm on Plyometrics, which I no longer do.
I jog (for short distances) sometimes when I go for a walk. At that point my HR gets around 180-186bpm I assumed that was way too high because I was told that my max heart rate should be 220 minus my age, which would put my MAX at 182bpm. I thought targeted zone is 65%-85% (118-155) of max HR. So yours gets to 185 and you are 40 something, and that's normal? Maybe I'm normal... LOL
I hate to sound paranoyd about it especially if there isn't a real problem. Does anyone else monitor their HR?
As for cafeine, I ONLY drink water and eat very little chocolate now. I got off of my green tea pills b/c it contained caffeine.
Yes, I have to mix up the workouts too. Working out is not really my thing, I don't crave it or love it, so it bores me easily and it's very easy to talk myself into doing almost anything else. So if I don't change it up all the time it flies out the window. I don't know if that's the ADD talking or it's normal.

I'm not familiar with any HR formulas. All I know is the gym I belong to has posters everywhere and all the equipment has HR rates on them to gauge your workout level. They vary a little from one piece of equipment to the next, but basically I don't get alarmed if my heart rate is 200 or lower. When I first started working out I would get it up over 300 sometimes and that was a little scary. Also I've found that when I hold my breath while lifting it fluctuates a lot more. So I try to breath as part of my lifting technique. You're supposed to breath in during the lift, but I always end up exhaling. That's okay so long as I don't hold my breath my heart rate doesn't go nuts.

I don't actually own an HR monitor, but I was born with a heart murmur which occasionally causes my heart to race, so I take my pulse frequently, especially at the gym. I love the equipment that takes it while your on it, like the elliptical and the stationary bike, and for me in a full throttle workout 150-185 is normal. That's even printed on the machine as a "cardio" range for my age group. Maybe your heart rate is normal for you during a workout, I don't know. You still should talk to your doctor about it and keep an eye on it at the gym. I also can tell you that as your body gets in better and better shape that your heart rate will slow down. My mom is always telling me stories about athletes that end up in the ER and their normal sitting pulse is low enough to set off alarms. But the truth is that their hearts are very very strong and don't need to work hard to get the job done.

Good luck. Are you feeling motivated again? I am, I hit the 50 pound mark this morning. Whooo hoooo!!!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

yes I'm feeling motivated, thanks. I signs up for the 52dc challenge
Old 03-24-2010, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default update as promised

The Good: I've been very motivated and have been killing the 52 Day Challenge that I signed up for. My diet and been strict since starting this on the 17th. I haven't had much temptations to stray. EVERY day of the challenge I have either did a good solid workout or cardio. I look forward again to getting home to workout. I'll be going to Florida in May, after turning 39 and plan on being pretty "ripped". I can't wait to be able to take my shirt off at the beach and not worry about someone pushing me back in the water.

The Bad: In my quest to get down to 10.5% BF, I continue to drop weight. I've lost over 3 pounds this week. I know, you may be thinking... "why is someone that was recently obese saying this is a bad thing?" Well my goal was to maintain the same weight while shedding more fat. This would mean that I'd have to gain muscle WHILE reducing fat. While this was easy when I was fat, it's proven to be much more difficult, if not impossible.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
The Good: I've been very motivated and have been killing the 52 Day Challenge that I signed up for. My diet and been strict since starting this on the 17th. I haven't had much temptations to stray. EVERY day of the challenge I have either did a good solid workout or cardio. I look forward again to getting home to workout. I'll be going to Florida in May, after turning 39 and plan on being pretty "ripped". I can't wait to be able to take my shirt off at the beach and not worry about someone pushing me back in the water.

The Bad: In my quest to get down to 10.5% BF, I continue to drop weight. I've lost over 3 pounds this week. I know, you may be thinking... "why is someone that was recently obese saying this is a bad thing?" Well my goal was to maintain the same weight while shedding more fat. This would mean that I'd have to gain muscle WHILE reducing fat. While this was easy when I was fat, it's proven to be much more difficult, if not impossible.
Way to go!!! Sounds like you are on your way.

Most of the "experts" claim that unless someone is brand new to weight lifting, it is very difficult to add significant muscle and lose significant fat at the same time. While pursuing fat loss, we are in a catabolic state (breaking down tissue) and while pursuing additional muscle mass, we are in an anabolic state (growing tissue). Two opposing goals. That said, my own experience has been that when I'm losing fat, if I work out regularly and intensely, and nourish my body properly, I might lose a pound or two of muscle, but no where near the muscle lost by people who do not lift weights and eat too few calories. Of course, there's legal muscle saving/building supplements out there on the market, but I'm not a good source of info in that dept.

If you read Tom Venuto's "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" (online) there's a lot of good information you might find helpful.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

thanks Beth, that seems to be what I've found
Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 AM
FitDay Member

Adderall is a stimulant, which means its helps you focus, keeps you motivated, and supresses your appetite. When you got off of it, i'll bet your appetite came back that you've increased your caloric intake, which would explain the weight gain. The same reason smokers gain weight after they stop smoking(the cigarettes,being a stimulant, was supressing their appetite). As far as lack of motivation, the stimulant effect isn't there anymore. You can just find another stimulant to give you a boost: tea, coffee, nitrous oxide products, b vitamins.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

thanks. I've been trying to stay away from stimulants b/c my HR gets really high during exercise. I got off my adderall for almost 2 months and my HR never changed so I'm back on it. I've actually been loosing more and more weight even though I'm not trying now. I'm now increasing my calories to 2500-3000 a day just to try to keep pace with my activity level.
My BF is at an all time low (around 10.5%) which I'm really happy about so everything seems to be right on track.
All I need to do is figure out my HR. I've been to a cardiologist and had a battery of test run. He put me on iron pills and now wants me to see an endocrinologist. Hopefully I'll have an answer soon b/c I'm flying to Virginia to compete in a 1/2 marathon and would rather run it than walk it... if I can get my HR in a "normal" range.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:56 AM
FitDay Member

very good. I personally stay away from stimulants/fat burners myself, and i'm at about 10.5% body fat as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.