Notices

Total Setback! Thx FD :(

Old 06-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default Maybe it's just me...

I'm pretty obsessive about numbers (well everything) and most people think so because I weight nearly everything that I consume but I feel that logging sex is going too far. I mean do you finish and say "hey I forgot to look at the clock, do you know how long we were 'going at it'?". Also at what point does the clock start... during forplay when the heart rate starts to rise or when it's full blown physical? Like I said, maybe it's just me but I think that's a little obsessive (and may cause you to get burnt out), and that's coming from an obsessive person.

Also when it comes to sex I'd imaging just like anything you log, there's no "one size fits all" no pun intended. What one person thinks is vigorous another may not.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-29-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
sw07, is the baseline metabolism number you put in the RMR number on the printout from the hydrostatic?
Yes
Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 AM
FitDay Member

@01gt4.6: Ok, dude, clearly you have no sense of humor, whatsoever. And approx. how many calories you burn during sex has been the subject of many human interest articles in magazines. Honestly, you're being a little rude. Everyone else who has commented has been positive. Mod or no mod, your negativity is really a put off.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by azazelsfyre
@01gt4.6: Ok, dude, clearly you have no sense of humor, whatsoever. And approx. how many calories you burn during sex has been the subject of many human interest articles in magazines. Honestly, you're being a little rude. Everyone else who has commented has been positive. Mod or no mod, your negativity is really a put off.
I have no sense of humor? I find that humorous. Ask the other members here if they think I lack a sense of humor.

How was I being rude? You come on here acting dramatic because you were no longer on pace with your graph, which according to you is FitDay's fault. We all know that time spent doing any activity will affect how many calories you'll burn. What you failed to catch is that I never said that you don't burn calories during sex, I personally don't care enough to time it, track it or log it.

Cool actually, as of today, I'm no longer on par with the graph. fml.

Maybe you were just having a bad day, we all have them, it's a part of life. I've been having a bad month but I didn't think I was rude, who knows? As far as everyone that posted has being positive. What about your posts? I'm sure that I'm not the only one that knows what fml stands for? Really, is it that serious? You seem to be focused on an exact number and as I stated there is no such thing. I was like that as well and it made my journey a lot less enjoyable. This weightloss journey can get over complicated if we let it.

I answered as many of your questions as I could and didn't think I was being rude.
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Are you 100% sure that the calories that you consume are correct? Do you weigh your food, log EVERYTHING you eat? Lastly, FitDay doesn't even have P90X listed as an activity so how can you say the FitDay estimated your burn wrong? Like Michael said, this is no exact science and there can't be. We all burn at different rates just as we all put forth different amounts of effort in what we do.

There is an option to set a custom metabolism and you can also log sleep. I'm pretty familiar with P90X and like I mentioned everyone puts forth different effort and every BODY reacts differently.

This is just a guide THAT IS ABLE TO BE TWEAKED with a custom metabolism. You've been at this for what... a month? You now know that you don't burn as much as you thought, make the correction... unless you think the "fml" attitude will get you to your goal faster. It isn't the end of the world, get back to it and before you know it you'll be back on target.
Yep, maybe it was just a bad day. I'm glad you're feeling better today.
"sex" is actually pretty off even at both "settings", which I find amusing. (But I'm just immature like that) I mean, it's a new day, I just woke up, and I feel a lot better. But last night it was kinda like, "really?"

Back on the subject of how you started losing weight just fine then it slowed down.
There are several things that can slow your progress or make your weight fluctuate (besides calories in vs. calories out):
*Sodium (I ate crawfish today, which is loaded with sodium. I know the scale will probably be up 2-3 pounds tomorrow)
*The amount of water you drink
*How often you take a nice dump
*TOTM for women
*Stress levels, etc, etc

There are many things that come into play, besides the obvious.

I would personally suggest logging sleep if you feel that the numbers that FD gives you are inaccurate and go from there. You probably just need a little fine tuning and you'll be back on pace with where you want to be.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-29-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Mike is actually quite the clown, but it can be really hard to pick that up from the written language, with no visual cues. In addition he is really experienced and knows the sucesses and flaws of FitDay inside and out. Personally I totally trust his opinions.

And one of the biggest, we all agree, is the problem in logging calories burned. As several folks have noted, it is so subjective. Unlike calories in (a gram of celery is, generally, a gram no matter were you are.) calories burned are really, really hard to generalize.

Most of us use our experience to modifiy the activities section. For example I do a lot of yoga and experience has told me that the quanties calculated by Fitday are lower that what I actually burn. So if I do an hour of yoga, I input 1.5 hour to adjust for the personal. The overall daily requirement is too high for lots of women, but if you add in 7 hours sleep it works out better.

Sorry you were disappointed. I hope you can get over it
Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

But lo and behold, my progress is getting slower and slower, and it just seemed off if i was REALLY burning as many calories as I thought. So I did some research, and bam! I had my profile at "Seated with some movement", but I logged everything from work (I'm a pharm tech at a very busy retail pharmacy, I put that at about the equivalent of nursing because of how much running around I do, and going back and forth, yada yada) to working out, to "grooming". And sex was listed as "light to moderate calisthenics", because you burn about 500 p/h. whatever, you can see I thought I was doing pretty well.
You've gotten some really positive comments here, and I think that what we've all agreed on is that estimating your burn is, at best, a rough science. Every single body is different.

However, look at what you wrote here. Really look at it. You equated running around at work with nursing. Do you know, at all, if your burn is anything like nursing? You also say you think you were burning 500 "p/h" during sex - are you sure about that? Or were you guessing? Did you have a heart rate monitor on during sex? (That would be a fun explanation!!) How about work? I don't see how you can blame FitDay for your own guesswork. FitDay is not psychic - the numbers are averages for men and women, people of different ages, etc. It's hardly fair to expect it to be 100% accurate

If you're actually more serious about getting your burn right, my suggestion would be A) do what sw07 said and get your body fat measured professionally, using a hydrostatic and B) invest in a heart rate monitor, which can give you an idea of your burn during work - just wear it all day, and let it log you. Or invest in a pedometer, and log your activity in steps. Maybe you'll want to tweak your lifestyle setting after using it.

I have my lifestyle as "Seated" even though I am emphatically NOT seated on most days (I'm always up and down), and like almeeker does, I log activities that take more of an hour off my seat (like buying groceries, walking or running errands, trips to the gym, etc.). -- I don't log my little 5-or 10-minute bursts on my feet at work all day. I do this because I figure the estimated burn will, if anything, be close or a little lower than my actual burn, and I'd rather that FitDay "guess low" so that I don't overestimate my burn -- that would just lead to frustration when the scale doesn't move as fast as the graph says it "should." Instead, I usually get pleasantly surprised when it moves faster than I "expect" -- and I'd rather be pleasantly surprised any day of the week!

(Also, for the record, Mike has a pretty good sense of humor and he's pretty much a guru when it comes to FitDay's calorie estimates)

Remember that you will lose more slowly as you approach your goal weight. That happens to all of us. You're losing, and that's fantastic! But you should maintain a little bit of realism too
Old 06-30-2011, 09:34 AM
FitDay Member

Ok, let's just drop the sex thing, that was a joke, whatever, moving on. As to equating work, unless you're there doing it, you have no idea what it's like, but my current profession involves no seated work whatsoever. And before THAT gets argued, no I'm no saying anyone should know, whatever whatever. Honestly, I was frustrated and thought reaching out on the forums would be kinda cool. I take it back, 110%. I'd close this thread if I knew how.

Regardless, thanks to everyone for their input. I'm sure you're all fantastic, and I probably just took things the wrong way. But a short, sweet, "Hey, keep it up, it's a bad day, you'll have good ones too" would have worked just as well as "Fitday is a program with no emotions all it does is calculate what you put in clearly you are wrong, wrong, wrong." A little overstated? Probably. But you get my point.
<3
Katie

Last edited by azazelsfyre; 06-30-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Katie,

I can lock this thread if you would rather it be locked but I wanted to mention a few things to you before I do.

The best way to set your daily calories burned is through the Activities tab. DON'T DO IT THROUGH YOUR PROFILE!You can not customize it under profile. I just posted doing a customized BMR here http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...html#post49674

• If you feel like your daily calorie burn number is too high, try changing your Lifestyle (Activity>Customize) to "Standing Work" and NOT log all the running around you do during work.
  • You could log your sleep. I feel like if you think your number is falsely too high, this is the easiest way to correct it (or get it closer). I also talked about that here. http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...-activity.html
  • Whatever you do, stick to P90X as it's designed for the 1st round of 90 days. I did 146 days (90 then 56) with great results. Was it hard? Hell yes it was hard! That's why it works. P90X works, if you do. If you can't keep up, don't worry about it, that's what they make a pause button for. Sure Tony talks about "pressing play" but don't forget to press pause and take a break when you need it. Yes, the workout will probably drag out to 1h 15m or so and Ab Ripper X will probably takes 20-25 mins., but it's worth it... if you follow it. I hated Yoga, it's an hour and a half of misery but I did it for the first 90 day round. After that I said screw it. You can modify just about every move such as chinups, pushups, etc. So as Tony says... "Do your best, and forget the rest." But as Nike says "Just do it!"
  • Assuming that you stick with P90X, I'd highly recommend talking Fish Oil and/or Glucosamine Condroitin + MSM b/c the repetitive moves will take a toll on your joints... even if you are young. If you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) get one now! I thought I was fine b/c I felt fine when doing P90X, it wasn't until I got a HRM that I realized that my HR was getting DANGEROUSLY high. High enough to cause serious damage or kill me if I would have kept going so that should be on top of your list!
BTW you aren't the first person here that I've pissed off and probably won't be the last. Some how I have a way of pissing off people without even trying. Maybe it's because I shoot from the hip and say what I feel without trying to sugar coat things. I feel that there's no need to sugar coat anything, hell if I did I'd really be eating my words... b/c sugar can be a weakness. I can be abrupt and to the point but don't usually try to piss someone off... unless they disrespect a fellow member or moderator.

Let me know if you want me to lock this. If you want it deleted I can do that too.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-30-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Well, yea...I have actually been logging sleep. Thanks for the tips. It's just like, "Argh! I get it!" wasn't coming across in my msgs XD

Ok. Starting over? yes, I was discouraged, because you never realize how hard things are until you do them, ya know? And I am doing (as of this week) the actual leans version of p90x, although I'm not fond of their version of yoga either! It's so repetitive! I've done yoga classes before, and I like it better when they mix things up more. I usually double Cardio X days with an hour or so of belly dancing. (actually I think some of the p90x chicks are scary-looking...)

And about your no-bull attitude? It probably rubbed me the wrong way because that's usually how I play, too. I'll take it as an insight to how I affect others...
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Trust me, I know how hard it can be. I was very fat and out of shape... well I guess round is a shape. P90X kicked my ass, but I have to commit to it. Trust me when it comes to tracking stuff I'm the king, that's why I say to not stress it so much, it can make the journey less enjoyable. I have done so many spread sheets, excel files, taken a bazillion pictures, weighed myself a trillion times, weighed my food a million times, counted every glass of water (for a while) measured myself a thousand times and checked my body fat probably a hundred times. It can tend to get old after a while.

I'm still not where I want to be and now with my latest injury (that's plagued me for over a month), I wonder if I ever will be. So is it hard? It can be, but it can also be easy depending on the approach that you take. Right now at this very moment, it's extremely hard for me. I've been so used to going full blast and pushing myself beyond my limits that it finally caught up to me in a big way and now I have to FORCE myself to take it easy. Last week I vowed to stay out the gym for a week and I thought I was going to go crazy. So, once again I'm back at it, but nothing like I was but I just have to accept it for what it is and just be grateful that I can walk and the pain hasn't taken over me. I have no one to blame but myself but it's not bad enough for me to say fml... yet.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 06-30-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.