Notices

almost there

Old 01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Default almost there

When I started this journey January 2007 ago I weighed 324 lbs. Today I weigh 169lbs. I believe I'll reach my goal of 145 by summer.
I began by reading a book called "Fat Wars" by author Brad King. The section on "her fat" changed everything about the way I eat and exercise. I also discovered FitDay and found it to be such a valuable tool. I almost always underestimated how many calories I ate and overestimated how many I burned!
Anyone else with some good stories to share?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:29 AM
FitDay Member

No story to share, but congratulations on your achievement!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

155 lbs! That's amazing!

It's such a weird and wonderful thing to lose so much weight, isn't it? You feel more comfortable in your skin, and everything seems to just be easier. You do have the problem of having to replace your wardrobe (in your case, probably several times!)

As for me, in February 2008, I was 272 lbs at 5' 8". I had tried losing weight several times before and after, but never took it too seriously. I got down to 264 by January 2009 mostly out of sheer luck. I tried losing weight again and lost 10lbs in the first month, only to give up again. I got serious in late May because I was going to Walt Disney World and needed to be in shape to be able to do all that walking. So I went from 254lbs in early June to 247lbs in early July. Disney World wasn't my real goal though -- this time I wanted to actually be fit.

This time I was motivated by the fact that when I got back from Disney I was 241lbs. I was able to enjoy myself at my favorite vacation spot and STILL lose weight. I was also motivated by the fact that I got sick while at Disney World and scared my family by getting chest pains.

Now, on January 4th I am 180 (actually 179.8) lbs. I've gone from a size 42 pants to a size 32 pants. I fit into a medium shirt the other day.

My wife has been losing weight too. She's a bit frustrated because she started at a slightly lower weight than myself and is currently at a slightly higher weight. I've lost 92lbs, sue's lost about 65lbs. Both of us feel a lot better, but are not done yet. My goal is 164 (a BMI of 24.9), and I want to change my body shape to add a good amount of muscle (being a guy and a little vain...).

Keep it up! And keep it off!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your input, its true I felt uncomfortable in my skin because there was so much extra. I had a tummy-tuck which removed about 5 lbs of yuck. No one ever tells you about the not so wonderful results of weight loss like the baggy-saggies everywhere.
But saying that, being 155+ was much, much worse.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Pervan
Thanks for your input, its true I felt uncomfortable in my skin because there was so much extra. I had a tummy-tuck which removed about 5 lbs of yuck. No one ever tells you about the not so wonderful results of weight loss like the baggy-saggies everywhere.
But saying that, being 155+ was much, much worse.
I am new here but find the food diary helpful; as you say underestimating is an eye opener - even if it's healthy food... I am intrigued by your reference to Brad King book - what was it exactly that inspired if you don't mind me asking? I have not read it but will google it based on your post.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Hechavarrias
I've been on every diet know to man, I've often lost 40-50-even 60 lbs only to gain it all back and more. I was seriously considering that surgical procedure stomach-stapling when I read Fat Wars, maybe it was just right time right place but it really resonated.
For the first time I understood the why of weight gain and lose, he broke it down into his and her fat and gave real life workable strategies and exercise plans. He has a website as well that has excellent articles and advice to keep on track.
I didn't get my stomach stapled and I did loose weight so maybe it will help you as well, good luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Pervan
When I started this journey January 2007 ago I weighed 324 lbs. Today I weigh 169lbs. I believe I'll reach my goal of 145 by summer.
I began by reading a book called "Fat Wars" by author Brad King. The section on "her fat" changed everything about the way I eat and exercise. I also discovered FitDay and found it to be such a valuable tool. I almost always underestimated how many calories I ate and overestimated how many I burned!
Anyone else with some good stories to share?
I am just starting my journey, way to go!! You inspire me.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:13 AM
FitDay Member

You are inspiring! I have had an account on Fit Day for about six years, on and off with mixed results. This week I am starting on the Zone and I am really excited about it.

I can't imagine doing it without fit-day.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default I have a success story

When I graduated college (Jan 2005) my mother and I stated Weight Watchers. I started out 6' 0" tall and 345 pounds. I am not sure what my mother started out at. We encouraged each other through and after a year and a half I was down to 205 pounds. That is 140 pounds lost. I looked like a completely different person. My mother lost somewhere around 120 or so pounds as well.

Ok...now the unsuccessful part. I stopped going trying to do things on my own. I am back up to 261 and not happy with where I am now. At least I am back eating better now and I have found this site to be extremely helpful in controlling what I eat.

Just thought people would want to hear my (our) story.

DAN
Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Halfway

I started out at 265 at the beginning of August last year and have been fairly consistent logging what I eat. I'm now down to 219, almost out of the obese category for someone with a height of 5'11". I gave myself a break between Christmas and New Year's and indulged a little, expecting to perhaps gain a pound or two, but actually still lost a pound since my lost weigh-in two week earlier. That encourages me that some of my eating habits are sticking, even without daily monitoring.

I like the food tracking because I can stay aware of my intake and know when I can let myself indulge. Also after five months of usage, I am much better at estimating what are proper serving amounts for things that I used to take too much of, such as potatoes, pasta, and rice.

I just wish it was easier to calculate calories/nutrition for complex recipes. Oh well, as long as I'm losing weight, I'm not going to complain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.