highly disappointed from life

Community
Notices

highly disappointed from life

Old 05-08-2011, 07:50 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy highly disappointed from life

hey:
I have been overweight since 10 years!! and now its getting worse my frds kept telling me 143lbs is not overweight but seems like i have lost all my confidence. I think i have this weird kinnda prob! i have 34% body weight which indicates i m obses where as my weight says i m under normal range
since entering in fit day ( 9 days ) i have lost like 1 kgs n i m happy though ..
can any one help me how to boost up my metabolism and erase off this excess fat quickly?? i am eating around 1700 calories per day, and 30 to 40 min on elliptical trainer?? really curious how can some one loses 3 to 4 pounds in a week
Old 05-08-2011, 09:55 PM
FitDay Member

3-4 pounds in a week is unhealthy. 1-2 is ideal. The quicker it comes off, the quicker it will creep back on. Sounds like you need to do some strength training as well as the cardio. You need to eat 5-6 times a day, every 3 hours roughly and pay attention to calories, fats, sugars, and carbs. Some carbs are good, as long as they are the complex carbs, such as wheat and such. Without your height kinda hard to say how many calories you should be eating. I would eat 500 less than what you are eating now because 1700 sounds high with the little exercise you are doing. Your supposed to eat 500 calories less than the amount you would need to maintain your weight. Plus, do 40 minutes of strength every other day and 40 minutes of cardio every day. I however, do strength training everyday, but that is what works for me. You also need to drink alot of water. Hope this helps...
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38 PM
FitDay Member

@thx pixiedust!!
i m 5'4 and 141lbs.. i used to eat 2000 add/less before.. i have limited it to around 1700. i m trying hard to bring it to around 1500!!. i m thinking of having green tea, want ur opinion??? i m drinking lot of water these days. my scales shows 141 today..its been like 9 days since my weight watch.. IDK whethere i m on healthy track or not??
Old 05-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

141 lbs. is in the healthy BMI range for a 5'4" person. It's near the top of the range, but still in the range. Do you mean to say you have 34% body fat at 5'4"? I'm a bit confused as to what you meant in your post.

It seems to me that you might be interested in having a body fat percentage goal rather than a weight loss goal, though losing a small amount of weight won't hurt you. Since you're already at a healthy weight, the pounds are going to come off slowly - 1700 kcals per day is probably about what your basal metabolic rate is, give or take a little bit, and depending upon your basal activity level. Exercise is probably going to end up being more important than food, though of course you should take care to note what's going into your mouth.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

Believe your friends. You're probably not overweight - you don't even mention your height. You are 'picking at' yourself, instead of appreciating your good fortune that you are NOT overweight. I am going to guess that your doctor does not categorize you as 'overweight' either. If he (or she) doesn't have you in that category, then you are not.

If you continue to heap criticism on your self and your body - against the opinion of friends and doctor - then it's starting to be a neurosis. There's no good to come of that! You'll just be suffering and self-critical, which makes you ultimately a person who isn't attractive because you can't relax with yourself! Think of it that way! If you're all into some distorted idea of your appearance, you get nothing from that. Nothing.

If I'm wrong about this - if your doctor has told you that you are overweight and have to lose some pounds, then I'm just wrong. Discount what I've said...

(I just noticed that you posted again with your height. Your weight and height don't count as 'overweight,' though, right? )

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

Use that to calculate and you'll see that you are near the high end of normal weight. You're not even at the low end of overweight. Even people at that low end of overweight aren't perceived of as 'fat' by many people. Who do you believe - your friends, the doctor, the BMI calculator, or you own eyes when you look in the mirror?

If it's your own eyes, and your own impression of yourself, then you could say, 'I wish I had a trimmer figure, I wish I could wear a size #, I'd like to look better in a bathing suit...' Those are all reasonable, without ever labeling yourself as 'overweight' or feeling the need to call yourself fat when you're not.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 05-09-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:34 PM
FitDay Member

First of all, welcome!

You sound really stressed, hon. Could you maybe explain more about that side of things, if you feel comfortable doing so?

I'm guessing one of two things here. Either you're used to being a bit slimmer and you've put on just enough to keep you within the healthy BMI range, but enough that you feel a bit flabby and don't like it. For instance, my partner is naturally slim, always has been, has occasionally been rather too thin (his dad is really quite underweight, I think the men in his family tend to thinness) and has got away with eating whatever he wants for so long that when he put on a few pounds the other month, he really got upset about it. He was still slim, he just wasn't quite model-slim any more, and for him it was the most he'd ever weighed. He's since calmed down, has started getting more exercise, and is being a bit more careful about what he eats. (Getting to the age of 28 before you have to worry about that is a pretty good run, I think!)

Or else it's a perception problem, you see yourself as being fatter than you really are, in which case we're talking about an eating disorder, which is a hard thing to deal with. You called yourself "obese" at one point, which is a bit of a red flag.

What are your normal eating habits like? Does your weight tend to go up and down? Do you find yourself skipping meals or on the other hand, eating more than you should (grazing, bingeing, overlarge portions)? What do you think your ideal weight would be?

If it's the first option I mentioned above, I'd suggest a very small calorie deficit, maybe 200 or 300 calories less than is recommended for your height and weight, and a good exercise programme. You're only looking to lose a few pounds, after all, and the slower you lose it, the better your chances of keeping it off. The main thing you want to be doing is getting your body nicely toned. Don't go for rapid weight loss, it's unlikely to work in the long term and it is likely to mess up your head and your metabolism. Cutting out junk, being more careful about snacks, resisting having seconds: you may not need to do more than that. FitDay is great for finding out what you're actually eating, how much it adds up to, and which bits are more fattening than others.

If it's the second option, an eating disorder, it's going to be harder, and I'd definitely talk to your doctor about it (and if you don't feel comfortable with your doctor, try to find one you do trust), at least if you possibly can. Therapy may help, medication can be useful for some people, and/or an ED support group. In terms of diet and exercise, don't restrict your calories, go for the recommended amount for your height and weight, and use FitDay to log what you eat so that you know you are eating neither too much nor too little. Just try to get yourself on an even keel, and it's also a good idea to try to stick to a good variety of whole foods rather than junk food. (A former friend of mine who was anorexic lived on junk foods. Not enough food, he was eating one meal a day and substantially underweight, but it was always junk food, and a very limited variety at that. Apparently this is common, anorexia affects your sense of taste.) If you tend to skip meals, try to get into the habit of eating them again, even if you start with something very small like a clementine or a tomato or a couple of grapes. (Sweetish fruit or veg which are high in water are the most appealing when your appetite is low, I've found.) Eat breakfast. If you tend to binge, the good people here will be very helpful in talking about that. It can help to balance blood sugar levels and so forth, and a lot of people find that a good portion of protein helps prevent them from getting hungry later.

I've put on about 30lb due to severe disability, and at 4'11 that's enough to get me half-way up the "overweight" category and miserable because my disability stops me from exercising it off. I find it pretty hard to be suitably sympathetic when my beautifully slim partner is moaning about his near-invisible "love handles", because I feel resentful that he's only got that to worry about, and fret that if he thinks he's ugly at that weight, then what does he think of me? You're probably going to come up across that response a bit here, to be honest, though hopefully people will be able to get past it quickly. I think people get nervous when someone in the "healthy" BMI category says they have to lose weight, while they may need to lose 100lb or more and only wish they had such a minor problem. My partner and I managed to talk it out, and I'm sure you'll be fine here once we all explain ourselves. Everyone's very supportive, don't worry. Some people are trying to lose weight, some people are trying to keep their weight stable, and a few are trying to put on weight, so there's support for all sorts of lifestyles.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

thx all... so kind of all of u .. esofia I would like to give u some details. I am 22, with current weight of 141... the thing that is actually making me too confused is my BMI indicates I am under normal range that is 24.4, while my Body Fat ratio says I am overweight that is 34%.. I don't know how come both BMI and BF ratio saying different things.
Secondly, my meals are mostly consist of rice, soup kinda eastern dishes, bread/chapatis ( whole wheat) as I am from south asia. Feeding on junk food is not on top of my favourities. Rarely I eat junk food, although I love it
Thirdly I will say my meals are some what healthy but over large portions. Which I am trying to reduce it. I have been 60kgs give or take since my teens years. I am really confused how can I get rid of these stubborn pounds that have been part of my body for ages.
I don't drink alcohol neither smoke, nor any hard drinks. I am doing excersices daily now a days for 30 to 40 mins and controlling my calories intake as well. Esophia I hope this will help
do u have any suggestions ?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM
FitDay Member

Right, so you're a naturally healthy eater, that's good, and I'm relieved to hear you're in the same category as my partner rather than suffering from an eating disorder. Portion sizes or snacking, maybe? Have you managed to log what you're eating with FitDay, or are you getting stuck and in need of help? I'm finding it interesting to find out where calories are hiding, since sometimes I don't think I've eaten much but the calories are high, and other times I'll have eaten plenty but still need to make up a couple of hundred calories.

There are some good posts up around here somewhere or other about things like learning to eat when you're truly hungry rather than eating out of habit, portion control, that sort of thing. I tend to have a sleep in the afternoons, and I had developed a dreadful habit of waking up and wandering into the kitchen straight away, even though the hunger actually went away if I waited a bit.

I don't know much about exercise, others will be able to advise you there, but that sounds sensible to me.

Which part of Asia are you from? I'm from England myself, and if you think the food is bad there you should see the national diet in Scotland, where I live now. Thankfully my mother's a good cook, so I didn't grow up with English food, I grew up with food from all over the world. I'm currently sulking because my local Chinese supermarket has been shut for a month and I WANT MY MISO SOUP WITH TOFU DAMNIT. Wouldn't say no to some pak choi either, I crave that stuff at times.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
FitDay Member

How are you calculating the body fat percent. I have a scale that measures it, but it varys so much from day to day, I doubt if it is accurate. Sometimes a cardiovascular clinic may offer measurements for free, or your doctor could use a caliper. Could your numbers be wrong.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

I have taken measurements through tailoring tape usually we use it for tailoring dresses. . May be u r right and I am doing it wrong way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.